ACC Spotlight - Preseason ALL-ACC team announced - Topic

The twitterverse is pretty quiet so I decided to write a little bit and follow up with some of what was discussed during "The Devil and Friends" show.

These are based on my ratings and not GUESS or WIS. Also some of what was written was done last night so there may be discrepancies.

~- My Top 5 recruits by Position - ~
QB:
Victor Compton – West Virginia/Syracuse/Boston College

Im going to give the edge to BC. Syracuse has too many battles and West Virginia is going to be fighting a distance disadvantage.
John Rosario – Tennessee/Clemson
I cant pick against the elite in this one. The recruit is from Tennessee and I cant imagine that Clemson has enough to win this battle.
Claude Hagan – Verbal to USC
Keith Wilson – Verbal to Georgia
William Tyson - Verbal to Stanford

RB:
Ernest Martinez – Verbal to Notre Dame
Robert Barrett – Verbal to Texas
Richard Santiago – Colorado/Colorado St

This is one of 3 battles between these schools. Colorado has already found some backup options and will fill his scholarships no matter what. Colorado St still needs 2 plus he needs to win all of his battles. I think Colorado comes away with this one in the end.
Keith Clark – Florida/Florida St
Could go either way but I’m not going to dive into this one since I’m biased J
David Davison – Verbal to Texas A&M

WR:
Ronald Hinton – Verbal to Florida
Richard Higgins – Verbal to Washington
Manuel Arnold – Notre Dame/Nebraska

This may come out to be one of the closer battles. Both schools have a couple other fights going on and both have locked in to the players they have. I’m going with Nebraska on this one. Hes got a slight distance advantage and more scholarships and he just might want it more.
Harry Langford – Texas/Texas A&M
One of seven battles between these schools. Texas looks locked into their targets and the only other thing hes dealing with is SMU which should be a pretty easy win. A&M is all over the place with battles also against SMU and Arkansas. I have to go with Texas in this; more scholarships and I think A&M will get spread out too thin.
Samuel Jones – Verbal to South Carolina

TE:
Jose Ewing – Verbal to Colorado
Brandon Garcia – Verbal to Michigan
Charles Hill – Verbal to Colorado St
Michael Meyer – Verbal to Stanford
Donald Franklin – Verbal to Alabama

OL:
Frank Carver – Verbal to Oklahoma
John Weiss – Cinci/Notre Dame

Cincinnati still has a lot of work to do while Notre Dame is trying to lock everything up. Notre Dame has a couple battles going with Nebraska and Ohio State but this might be the easiest of them all. Cinci looks like its on the verge of sacrificing half of their class to get this player and that might be the only way he does it. Small edge to Notre Dame.
Victor Barry – Verbal to South Carolina
Arnold Ochoa – Verbal to Boston College
Brian Fields – Verbal to Boston College

DL:
Willie Barrera – Verbal to Oklahoma
Ronnie Rose – Verbal to USC
Samuel Nolan – Verbal to USC
Jeffrey Ayala – Verbal to Rutgers
Jason Bird - Verbal to Texas

LB:
Jimmy Grant – Georgia/Florida St

Another one of those battles I cant really discuss. Both schools have a chance to come away with the recruit.
John Jenkins – Verbal to Miami
Jose Mack – Verbal to Boston College
Eric Jones – Verbal to Boston College
Steven Ross – Verbal to Penn St

DB:
Jesus Richards – Verbal to Minnesota
Franklin Carr – Verbal to Penn State
Derek Garcia – Verbal to Nebraska
Lawrence Rogers – Verbal to Ohio St
Jeff Wolfe – Verbal to UCLA
2/3/2017 6:46 PM (edited)
Good stuff genuvar!
2/3/2017 6:53 PM
I used to do this back in Heisman for while.. it never really caught on and I got too busy at work. Things have calmed down quite a bit so I'm diving back in. Not sure how consistent it will be but here you go.
~-The ACC Spotlight-~
--Early Recruiting Edition--

Boston College - laswell
17 Scholarships – 17 Targets – Avg Projected Recruit Rank 18

Everytime I look at laswell’s classes I really wish I was still at Pitt. It seems easy to recruit up there at times. Boston College should be looking at a very good class if they can wrap everything up. He currently has battles for 4 top 10 (by position) players in the #1 QB Victor Compton, #8 RB John Malone, #8 DB Earl Abbott, and #9 LB Robert Dodge. Also he still competing for 3 other recruits for a total of 7 battles. 6 of those involve Syracuse and 1 is for a recruit that is in Minot, ND (1509 miles away). Outside of his remaining battles he has early commitments from the #3 and #4 LBs in Jose Mack and Eric Jones and two top 10 offensive linemen in Arnold Ochoa and Brian fields. Overall Boston College’s recruiting classes average in the top 5 every season and I expect to see that again this season.

Clemson - iainlindsay
15 Scholarships – 21 Targets – Avg Projected Recruit Rank 80

iainlindsay is in jeopardy this season and this recruiting class might show you why. Out of his 21 targets he has 8 battles which might lead you to think that he is fine cause he has some backups and might just sacrifice a few scholarships. That’s not the case though. Only 2 of the players he has committed right now are within the top 25 of their position with only 1 other in the top 50. Hes scrapping the bottom of the barrel with many of his scholarships reaching deep into D1AA territory with players rated 171 or worse. To make things harder he even found himself in 2 battles at that level. If he can pull some things together he does have an opportunity to grab the #2 QB from Tennessee in John Rosario, the #18 RB Charlie Franklin and the #20 WR in Jacob Flores (which still has a sim on it!). Unfortunately, I think he is going to fall terribly short if I look at his history. As much as some coaches would like to think that this last class will win or break their season the truth is teams are built over 3-4 seasons (look at Cal). Never getting above a roster rank of 41 has really hurt this team and look for this job to be open next season.

Duke - tampafla
15 Scholarships – 13 Targets - Avg Projected Recruit Rank 75

tampafla finished last season with the 16th GUESS rated class and really surprised people with some of the players he was able to snag. This season its going to take a lot of work to get there from where he is at now. Currently he has 5 battles going on for his 13 targets. 2 of those are against North Carolina for the #12 DL Troy Miller and the #12 LB Donald Long. The battles with North Carolina will come down to who wants it more and whos willing to dish out more cash. There is no advantage for either side except Duke has a couple more scholarships. The only recruit in the top 25 that he has a commitment from is the #15 DB Travis Castillo. The rest of his class ranges from 30 to 269 and has many that would be more useful to a D1AA team. Hopefully Duke is looking at this class as depth and potential and we should see many of these players doing well in 3-4 seasons.

Florida State - genuvar
9 Scholarships – 12 Targets - Avg Projected Recruit Rank 42

genuvar comes into this recruiting season trying to find depth and a couple key players. Last season was rough on the recruiting front only pulling in the 39th best class but there is a lot of hope that this one will be better. His top 2 targets are the #1 LB Jimmy Grant and the #4 RB Keith Clark and are the only battles hes currently facing. Hes locked up the #10 QB in William Robinson and the rest of his class is averaging in the top 50. Since moving the Florida State he hasn’t been able to pull in a class better than 25 and it looks like it will be more of the same this season.

Marylandpotman44
14 Scholarships – 0 Targets – Avg Projected Recruit Rank 0

Unless my spreadsheet is broken potman44 does have any targets. He will have a ton of work to do to fill his scholarships if he is still with his team and even then I don’t think it will be enough. Last season he pulled in the 70th ranked class and I could see it being even worse this time around. Not sure whats going in Maryland but if anyone knows please share. If not we could be looking at a future job opening.

Miami (FL) bama2448
12 Scholarships – 14 Targets - Avg Projected Recruit Rank 51

Don’t let that avg recruit rank go to your head. If Miami (FL) signs all of their primary targets it jumps up to 20. bama2448 has 9 targets in the top 20 with 3 in the top 10. He is only missing the #14 OL Mark Burgess and the #16 Samuel Allen which he is currently battling for. He should also have an advantage in both battles. Mark Burgess has South Florida and Florida looking at him and Samuel Allen is from Texas and has SMU also looking at him. The problem his competition will have is he snagged every other guy from within 100 miles and probably didn’t have to spend much. Miami (FL) should continue with another top 15 class (lucky).

North Carolinatrmcco2
12 Scholarships – 14 targets - Avg Projected Recruit Rank 44

North Carolina must be in the one of the best recruiting areas. Every season it seems like trmcco2 pulls in a top 15 class and he never really goes further than 300 miles. Things might be getting a little bit tougher now that Duke has a coach. He has 4 targets in the top 20 and 2 of those Duke is also considering. Outside of that he is also battling Tennessee, ECU, and Liberty for midtier players. His targets show me that he has a backup option just in case he cant fight off tampafla and I think that’s a good move. I expect North Carolina to end up back in the top 25 or at least close to it. trmcco2 is another coach in the ACC that a couple seasons from finding a new job if he cant put all of that talent together and get some wins.

Virginia Techroxy11
11 Scholarships – 11 Targets - Avg Projected Recruit Rank 116

Welcome the newest member of the ACC. roxy11 is probably finding it much harder at Virginia Tech then he did at Southern Miss where he averaged top 25 classes. From here it looks like hes played it very cautiously but still found himself in 2 battles for #34 OL and the #99 DB. There are only 2 targets in the top 50 in this class. roxy11 will get to benefit from some leftovers from his predecessors this season but he will need to make up some ground in the future with his recruiting. Look for much better results when he has bowl money next season.
2/3/2017 9:02 PM
This is absolutely awesome! Thanks for adding to the content!
2/3/2017 9:08 PM
This is amazing work. Fantastic job
2/3/2017 9:41 PM
great stuff though there is a west coast too!
2/4/2017 12:04 AM
What? That place owned by USC? Not worth my time ;-)
2/4/2017 2:12 AM
Freaking awesome!
2/4/2017 8:31 AM
Love it! Makes me want to be in the ACC
2/4/2017 12:03 PM
Posted by wareagle399 on 2/4/2017 12:03:00 PM (view original):
Love it! Makes me want to be in the ACC
Theres a school in Georgia available if you want to move up :-)
2/5/2017 2:19 AM
Nice.
2/5/2017 3:45 AM
Looks like I was mostly right at picking other peoples battles. The only one I got wrong was Notre Dame/Cinci and it actually looks like Notre Dame is the one who sacrificed some of his class.
2/7/2017 10:10 PM
~-The ACC Spotlight-~
--Recruiting Recap--

Boston College - laswell
17 Scholarships – 17 Signed - GUESS Rank #4
Star Recruit: #1 QB Victor Compton
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
LB Jose Mack 3
LB Eric Jones 4
OL Arnold Ochoa 4
P Frank Lyons 5
OL Brian Fields 5
RB John Malone 8
LB Robert Dodge 9
RB Jorge Shields 14
TE Roger Curry 16
DL Andrew Phillips 26
OL Thomas Mathis 27
DL Matthew Garcia 35
DL Carl Jones 41
DB Eric Marin 42
DB Jerry Wyatt 73
RB James Darnell 112
Recap: Where do I start with this class? laswell just has another amazing class and could be number #1 when the GUESS reports come out. Boston College started out (well ended) by snagging the #1 QB in Victor Compton. This guy is so good he could start on half the teams in the ACC tomorrow (including mine). I can only imagine that he is going to get better and even if his potential is ‘average’ he will still easily be in the top 5 by the time he is done. His next 7 recruits would be the top recruit on every team except Miami. #4 OL Arnold Ochoa could be the only one that sees early playing time as most of these guys just add more depth to a very good roster.

Clemson - iainlindsay
15 Scholarships – 15 Signed - GUESS Rank #38
Star Recruit: #12 OL Joshua Metz
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
WR John Burks 16
WR Jacob Flores 20
P James Martinez 24
OL Robert Lowery 50
RB Jesus Archer 55
LB Clarence Gonzalez 58
DL William Barry 87
OL Bruce Harris 91
WR Christopher Lockett 102
WR William Richard 104
DL Willie Dickey 108
LB Alexander Sellers 119
DB Bruce Sears 171
DB Brent Castro 174
Recap: This should be another average class for iainlindsay who is trying their hardest to keep the job at Clemson (currently in jeopardy). #16 and #20 wide receivers John Burks and Jacob Flores should make an immediate impact on an otherwise unimpressive WR corps. His best recruit #12 OL Joshua Metz will probably be delegated to bench warmer as Clemson already has 8 solid offensive linemen. The rest of the class will add depth to the roster but not much else as none of them look to be immediate impact players and really lack the skills to start as underclassmen.

Duke - tampafla
15 Scholarships – 13 Signings - GUESS Rank #51
Star Recruit: #12 DL Troy Miller
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
DB Travis Castillo 15
DL Robert Petty 30
TE Don Maldonado 37
QB Duane Butler 43
OL Raymond Schmitt 57
OL Brian Morton 66
DB Carl Harrison 114
DB Kenneth Watson 136
LB Joshua Nichols 145
LB William Burgess 182
DL Terry Sprague 269
OL Gordon Anderson 329
Recap: At the point where I started typing this tampafla still had 2 open scholarships and looks to be taking on some walkons this season. This is much different than the class he pulled in last season and many guys he has had to reach on. OL Gordon Anderson wouldn’t be good enough to make many D1AA rosters and yet he sits on Duke as the 8th lineman making it possible that he will come in late in games as a sub. #12 DL Troy Miller will make an immediate impact on a young and relatively weak defensive line. I could even see #30 DL Robert Petty getting some playing time as Duke does run a nickel. #15 DB Travis Castillo could also find some early playing time becoming a crucial 4th or 5th DB in the nickel. In all it should be a decent class for tampafla adding some critical depth at some positions but not nearly as good as last season.

Florida State - genuvar
9 Scholarships – 9 Signings - GUESS Rank #34
Star Recruit: #10 QB William Robinson
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
OL Samuel Baker 26
DL Michael Gardner 32
OL Tyler Romero 48
LB Wesley Smiley 52
DB Michael Taylor 52
LB Mike Howe 65
DB Robert Rodriguez 69
LB Jerry Benton 70
Recap: This class didn’t quite go the way I wanted but Florida State still came away with a solid QB in #10 William Robinson. Word inside the organization is that he could start as a redshirt freshman next season. OL Samuel Baker and Tyler Romero add crucial depth at the offensive line and will come in as subs. The rest of the class adds depth around the defense but nobody is good enough to have an immediate impact.

Marylandpotman44
14 Scholarships – 14 Signings - GUESS Rank #41
Star Recruit: #32 TE Stephen White
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
P Douglas Gregg 1
QB Kevin Brown 51
RB Leroy Espinoza 52
WR Jeffrey Polk 56
DB Jonathan Olson 68
LB Miguel Rodriguez 63
DL David Fountain 127
OL Roger Myers 133
OL Jose Crowder 162
RB Michael Pitts 162
OL Earl Locke 183
WR Vernon Simmons 188
DL Kyle Baker 209
Recap: If only punters were people too. At one point I wasn’t sure if potman44 was still coaching this team but he came in right at signing and saved his team from taking a bunch of sim recruited guys. Nobody really wows you in this class though. #34 TE Stephen White could have some impact early on with the ability to take the starting job. The rest of the class is just depth. Most of these guys wont see the field for 3-4 seasons and even then they could easily get replaced by a better quality recruit.

Miami (FL) bama2448
12 Scholarships – 12 Signings - GUESS Rank #8
Star Recruit: #2 LB John Jenkins
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
QB Glen Brown 6
TE Jimmy Walter 8
WR Vernon Gonzales 11
LB Nicholas Lange 11
DB Jonathan Murphy 14
DL Samuel Allen 16
RB James Bryant 19
OL John Barry 32
DB Howard Taylor 92
OL William Martinez 107
OL Leroy Caldwell 143
OL George Keller 176
Recap: I really want to move to Miami. Except for #16 DL Samuel Allen the furthest bama2448 needed to go was 83 miles. That’s a lot of talent crammed into a small space that only Miami (FL) has access to. Apparently bama2448 really likes o-line depth because the bottom of this list will probably never get to start. #2 LB John Jenkins should be able to come in on sub packages this season and will probably be starting by next. #6 QB Glen Brown will probably be starting by his sophomore season with only 2 other QBs on the roster that are heading to the NFL soon. #14 DB Jonathan Murphy and #16 DL Samuel Allen have the best chance to really make an impact this season as their talent puts them in the mix to start.

North Carolinatrmcco2
12 Scholarships – 12 Signings - GUESS Rank #18
Star Recruit: #11 TE David Franklin
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
WR Daniel Watson 12
LB Donald Long 12
RB Douglas Smith 30
RB Frank Hunter 38
OL Richard Gore 41
DB Donald Stevens 43
LB Bernard Whitfield 42
RB Jason Michaud 57
LB Gerald Macias 90
DB Robert Rocha 95
DL Nathan Harvey 103
Recap: Every season trmcco2 seems to have a really solid recruiting class. I just hope for his sake it starts to show up on the scoreboard. Everyone on this list joins an already stacked roster so I hope there were no freshman starts thrown out. #12 WR Daniel Watson has the best chance to see early action in shotgun packages. I really think he picked up 1 to many RBs as most of these guys wont see action any time soon, not even as subs. DB Donald Stevens and Robert Rocha could see some action as key subs as there are only 5 other DBs on the roster. This class should be rated pretty solid by GUESS but if things dont improve when it comes to win losses it wont matter anymore.

Virginia Techroxy11
11 Scholarships – 11 Signings - GUESS Rank #43
Star Recruit: #34 OL Dennis Morales
Rest of the Class:
Pos Name Pos Rank
QB Franklin Mitchell 50
DL Alvin Gibbs 67
OL Charles Chavez 84
WR Michael Miller 109
DB Karl Blankenship 117
OL Franklin Snyder 130
OL Jonathan Harrison 137
OL Christopher Cox 160
DB Richard Camacho 181
LB Mike Davies 276
Recap: roxy11 admitted that he held back and just wanted to add depth and that’s what we can see when we look at his recruits. #34 OL Dennis Morales will make an immediate impact as a freshman falling into the 5th man slot. The rest of this offensive line group, even though a bit weak, will still have to come in as subs. The majority of this class is really just purely depth and I wouldn’t be surprised if they never start. roxy11 should have a lot more money next season and so far he doesn’t have any competition over in the University of Virginia so I’m looking for a better showing next time around.
2/9/2017 1:26 PM (edited)
Great analysis and look at everyone in the ACC. This is fantastic
2/8/2017 11:59 PM
So I think I lost my mind halfway through this but I hope you all enjoy..

~-The ACC Spotlight-~
--Preseason All-ACC team--

QB: Randall Garcia Sr-R – Miami (FL) – GUESS 75.12 (QB #17)
Randall Garcia returns to Miami for his redshirt year after starting 14 games last season. With a formation IQ of 89, a GI of 90, and a great offense around him he is expected to have an amazing season. He has thrown for 3252 yards, 61 TDs and 0 interceptions in his career.

FB: David Hackett So – Duke – GUESS 82.03 (RB #57)
I’m not sure if anyone actually uses fullbacks anymore but if they did this guy would fit right in. David has a speed of 86, strength of 91 and a blocking skill of 75. On top of that he’s got an elusiveness of 91 and hands of 74. Had we been doing this last season he would have easily made the all-freshman team as he posted 2535 all-purpose yards and 18 touchdowns as a true freshman. He should continue to be a key part of the Duke offense this season.

RB: Donald Key Sr-R – Florida State – GUESS 88.39 (RB #1)
I had 4 guys make this list even though I try really hard to not to include myself (it might look biased). This guy would make everyone’s list. Donald Key returns to FSU for his final season as a redshirt senior and brings with him 92 speed, 92 strength, 92 elusiveness, 76 hands.. I could go on but this guy is just a beast. He comes in with 5139 career rushing yards, hitting almost 3000 in his junior campaign. If you play me this season expect to see a lot of Key.

WR1: Chris Flowers Sr – Florida State - GUESS 82.44 (WR #19)
Chris gets a little overshadowed by Key in the fact that the offense revolves around the best player. However, he should not be underestimated. Often the playmaker on 3rd and long Chris Flowers has averaged 16.2 yards per reception the past two seasons. Expect this to stay the same and when we need a big play the ball will probably go to this guy.

WR2: Richard Buck Jr-R – Miami (FL) – GUESS 82.10 (WR #28)
There was 6-7 guys that could have made the cut at WR but Buck has been a key part of the Miami offense and couldn’t be left out. He comes in with great speed, elusiveness, hands, everything you need to be a great WR. In addition, he has garnered over 1200 yards over the last 2 seasons and 16 touchdowns. Expect him to add to these totals in his junior season and continue to help his offense.

TE: Gary Lee Sr – Virginia Tech – GUESS 80.97 (TE #13)
Virginia Tech actually has 2 great TEs but Gary Lee is leaps and bounds above everyone else. His skills are very balanced to where he can be a key blocker on an outside run or a receiving threat. Last season in 14 starts he took in 70 receptions for 685 yards and 5 touchdowns. So far this preseason… 0 receptions, 0 targets, 0 yards but VT put up over 200 yards rushing per game using his blocking ability. We will see how this shakes out with a new coach and a new system by season end.

OL-Group: Boston College - Kevin Byers Sr – GUESS 84.86 (OL #51)
William Wilkinson Jr – GUESS 84.38 (OL #64
Jeffrey Rodriquez Sr – GUESS 85.06 (OL #45)
Arnold Ochoa Fr – GUESS 83.30 (OL #114)
Mark Ferguson Jr – GUESS 82.17 (OL #188)

I always hear that the offensive line is a unit and not based on 1 player. Well here you go the first offensive line all-whatever selection the didn’t just select one player. The Boston College offensive line is amazing and is anchored by upperclassmen Byers, Wilkinson, and Rodriquez. They also have the only true freshman to make this list in Arnold Ochoa. GD unfortunately doesn’t keep stats for offensive linemen but hopefully we will see these guys keep the QB clean and open up lots of running lanes this season.

DE1: Douglas Molina Jr – North Carolina – GUESS 85.72 (DL #3)
This starts my favorite side of the ball- defense. All of these guys are great and so are the next 10 players after them so here we go starting off with a great defensive lineman out of UNC. Douglas Molina comes in with some great skills that help him get the QB. Last season he piled on 9 sacks, 63 tackles, and 15 TLO… that’s a lot for a linemen. So far this preseason he has started strong but no sacks so far. North Carolina has a weak schedule so I expect him to tear apart some offenses this season.

DE2: Bruce Bridges Jr-R – Clemson – GUESS 84.34 (DL #11)
Every team deserves one selection, right? In all seriousness, Bruce is great. He has all the skills you want and is a star on his team. He has started every game since his sophomore season and has racked up 7 sacks, 78 tackles and 22 TLO. Bruce has done a great job so far this preseason and I expect him to be a solid contributor all season long. Hopefully he is not trying to learn a new defense next season.

DT1: Roland Maldonado Sr – Florida State – GUESS 83.10 (DL #33)
Maldonado is a beast on the FSU defensive front. Last season he came in with 31 tackles, 7 sacks and 10 TLO. This season it should be even higher. I expect him to be a key part of the FSU defense and to make a few stops when they matter most.

DT2: Richard Jackson Sr-R – Boston College – GUESS 82.72 (DL #36)
Jackson is a good player on a great roster. This is his first real season to shine as he has only come in when needed before with only 12 starts last season and 2 sacks. This season he should be starting and I wouldn’t be surprised if he leads BC in sacks by the end of the season.

OLB1: Bryan Wagner So – North Carolina – GUESS 82.18 (LB #5)
No relation to Bobby Wagner, Bryan has some crazy skills down in Chapel Hill. He comes into this season as a true sophomore with 80 speed, 84 athleticism, 80 strength, 91 tackling, 85 GI, 70 technique.. the guy could play anywhere and be great. Last season he played strictly as a sub, this season UNC better find a way to use him all game long. In limited action this preseason he has already got a sack and an int. I could honestly see him leading the squad in both if hes used properly.

MLB: Jason Jones Sr – Virginia Tech – GUESS 79.14 (LB #23)
My MLBs are the run-stuffing guys in the middle of the field you don’t want to run into, like Ray Lewis. Jason Jones fits this perfectly with 92 Strength, 92 Tackling, great GI, Tech and solid speed/athleticism if you try running at this guy you aren’t going to get far. Last season he had 66 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 PDs, and 11 TLO. So far this preseason.. 23 tackles and 3 sacks. I think he will fit into the new coach’s game plan perfectly and we will see some huge numbers out of him this season.

OLB2: Samuel Wright Sr – Boston College – GUESS 79.66 (LB #16)
Another great player on BC. Sam Wright has been starting since he was a true sophomore and has accounted for 131 tackles, 1 sack, 3 ints, and 23 PDs so far in his career. Great speed, strength, tackling, GI and elusiveness is going to make it tough to throw on this guy. I’m expecting Samuel Wright to make some key plays this season as a senior and help BC win some close games.

CB1: Brian Dixon So – Florida State – GUESS 78.84 (DB #11)
I recruited Brian just so he could make this list. Not really but it sure looks like it. One of the few sophomores to make it into selection Brian’s versatility played a key part. He bounced between safety and CB for FSU during his freshman campaign and has the skills to play anywhere. Last season he came away with 64 tackles, 17 PDs but no interceptions. I definitely expect the interception total to increase with more form iq.

CB2: Louis Shook Sr – Miami (FL) – GUESS 77.34 (DB #31)
Another great defensive back born and raised in the state of Florida (and knowing how Miami recruits probably only 30 minutes away). Shook is finishing out a great career that has including 121 tackles, 7 Ints, and 29 PDs. In his final hoorah I expect that he will lock down whatever zone hes put into and probably come away with a crucial pick when it matters most.

S1: Bobby Clay Jr-R – Virginia Tech – GUESS 78.12 (DB #20)
Man this new VT coach has a lot of things to play with. Bobby Clay, fast, athletic, great tackler, elusive, these are the many things this guy uses on dating profile… and hes not exaggerating. He has already compiled 127 tackles, 2 Ints, and 20 PDs in just 2 seasons of play. In his 3rd season, I’m expecting greatness. He will be the key to the new coaches secondary and will keep them in some close games.

S2: Matthew Tran Jr – Maryland – GUESS 77.88 (DB #27)
So it’s the bottom of the list and I think I’ve been doing this for around 2 hours or so.. but dangit we have to select a player from Maryland. Matt Tran is no slouch and rightfully earned his spot. He rolls into his junior season with 91 Ath, 91 speed, and solid tackling, tech, and elusiveness. He has started every game since joining Maryland and has exactly 59 tackles in each of the last 2 seasons. I think the tackles will stay around the same but he should have one of those prized things that every DB wants- an INT. I would say at least one but I’m going to give him 5 on the season.
2/10/2017 6:05 PM
12 Next ▸
ACC Spotlight - Preseason ALL-ACC team announced - Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.