Wrong forum, dont care Topic

Personally I'm not even convinced Montana was ever the greatest quarterback playing at any given time, much less greatest of all time. He's just the popular guy being talked about as the newly-minted 2nd-best, I think my top 2 would be Rodgers and Steve Young, followed by Elway and Marino, and then Brady and Manning. I don't think you can really fairly compare a guy like Unitas compared to the newer guys because the game was just too different, so really "greatest of all time" is really "greatest in the last 40 years," at best. But I think right now that title belongs to Young, and I suspect Rodgers will be catching up.
2/7/2017 3:17 PM
Now we making list. Nice.

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
(these two don't have the athletic ability that Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers have, but it always seemed like the throw was right where it's supposed to be, always in stride, throw a tight window) P.S. that's how my dad describe Joe Montana, wasn't alive for that.
3. Peyton Manning
4. Johnny Unitas (I know older analysts loved him so throwing him here)
5. Dan Marino
6. John Elway
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Otto Graham. Depends on who you ask and I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron Rodgers was 6 or 8. These QBs are interchangeable.
9. Steve Young
10. Drew Brees (underrated even with all the 5,000 yard seasons)

somewhere far away, Brett Favre, most overrated QB ever.
2/7/2017 3:56 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 2/7/2017 3:56:00 PM (view original):

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
(these two don't have the athletic ability that Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers have, but it always seemed like the throw was right where it's supposed to be, always in stride, throw a tight window) P.S. that's how my dad describe Joe Montana, wasn't alive for that.
3. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino
6. John Elway
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Otto Graham. Depends on who you ask and I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron Rodgers was 6 or 8. These QBs are interchangeable.
9. Steve Young

I'd be particularly curious what your reasoning for rating Elway ahead of Young was will you explain?
2/7/2017 6:24 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dino27 on 2/7/2017 6:43:00 PM (view original):
otto graham could be replaced by scores of qbs...his career stats are horrible....how about Staubach...bradshaw.....stabler......mcnaab.....for a few.
This just cost you a ton of credibility. It shows a startling lack of historical awareness.
2/7/2017 6:48 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dino27 on 2/7/2017 6:59:00 PM (view original):
i know his history..i hjave his autograph in fact...he had tons of interceptions and not many tds..only a few very good seasons...could not compare to unitis or van brocklin or others in that era although he was better then most in that era.
He reached the championship game 10 straight times and won seven of them.

And you don't even know how to spell Unitas.

Moron.
2/7/2017 7:14 PM
Posted by dino27 on 2/7/2017 6:59:00 PM (view original):
i know his history..i hjave his autograph in fact...he had tons of interceptions and not many tds..only a few very good seasons...could not compare to unitis or van brocklin or others in that era although he was better then most in that era.
He was a great passer in the 40s and 50s. It's the era, everyone else ran the ball. And all the title games he led the Browns to.
2/7/2017 7:14 PM
Posted by combalt on 2/7/2017 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 2/7/2017 3:56:00 PM (view original):

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino
6. John Elway
7. Aaron Rodgers
9. Steve Young

I'd be particularly curious what your reasoning for rating Elway ahead of Young was will you explain?
Went back to look at some stats. I'll admit, I was wrong. I guess hanging around Broncos fans for many years they had slowly convinced me that Elway is a top 10 QB. He might be even more overrated than Favre.

Elway has a career rating of 79.9

Young's is 96.8

Elway never led the league in Touchdown passes, rating, or completion percentage.

Young manage to led in Rating 6 times, Completion Percentage 5 times, and touchdown passes 4 times.

In fact Elway's highest completion percentage in a season (63.2) and highest rating in a season(93 even) is lower than Young's career average, which is 64.3 or if you want even better numbers then 65.8 with the 49ers alone.

Elway has never been named to a first team all pro, which basically means no one has just ever really said "you know this guy maybe the overall best QB in the league." Young does that 3 times.

Also there are the MVP's, 1 for Elway and 2 for Young. Wait how does a guy that wasn't a first team all pro ever in his career gets the MVP?

Well he won it over Jerry Rice in 1987 when Rice had more touchdowns than Elway that year if you include just passing TD's. 19 for Elway then 22 for Rice but if you want to be a smart aleck and include all of Elway's touchdown, then I will. 23 Overall for Elway and 23 overall for Rice. They played the same amount of games too.

Pretty much Steve Young was kinda just a little underrated in my mind, but once I looked back at the stats, he's great.
2/7/2017 7:22 PM
I'm a 49er fan, and a Joe Montana apologist of the highest order. Steve Young was great, but I don't think he could've taken some of those Denver teams into all those Super Bowls. Elway literally CARRIED those teams, even the Terrell Davis teams...

I guess it depends on what you want your QB to do. Put up incredibly efficient numbers (Young, Rodgers), win tons of Super Bowls (Montana, Brady), light up the scoreboard and stat sheets (Manning, Marino), make amazing risky plays with a big helping of ****** stupid plays (Favre), or lead their teams to play BETTER than they have any business playing (Elway).
2/7/2017 7:29 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/7/2017 7:29:00 PM (view original):
I'm a 49er fan, and a Joe Montana apologist of the highest order. Steve Young was great, but I don't think he could've taken some of those Denver teams into all those Super Bowls. Elway literally CARRIED those teams, even the Terrell Davis teams...

I guess it depends on what you want your QB to do. Put up incredibly efficient numbers (Young, Rodgers), win tons of Super Bowls (Montana, Brady), light up the scoreboard and stat sheets (Manning, Marino), make amazing risky plays with a big helping of ****** stupid plays (Favre), or lead their teams to play BETTER than they have any business playing (Elway).
Ya, when I was looking up stats and **** for the list, that was the argument I saw a lot. Elway carried his team, Young inherited a good team. But when you're talking top 10 of all time. All of these guys could lead those Broncos teams to play a lot better than what's expected of them. We aren't talking swapping Aaron Rodgers for Philip Rivers. We're talking the best QBs of all time. But yeah, Elway pverrated in my eyes though.
2/7/2017 7:34 PM
What I don't understand is why, in an era in which almost all serious sports analysts are discounting pitcher wins, quarterback wins are still considered a key stat. In both cases we're talking about the most important player on a team, but in both cases he only impacts half the game. And I would argue that pitchers have a greater role in run prevention than quarterbacks do in scoring. I just don't see why having the most Superbowl rings makes you the greatest quarterback of all time. Like I said earlier, it wouldn't make Brady any lesser of a quarterback if Atlanta had done the obvious thing and run the ball and proceeded to win the game. And it certainly doesn't follow that he magically became the greatest of all time because the Atlanta coaching staff made a series of poor choices. Brady played well in the Superbowl, but Atlanta lost that game more than New England won it. Brady threw 3 touchdowns and one of them was to the other team. His yardage was huge, but that was heavily volume dependent. He made a couple of really good throws, but he missed some open receivers, too. If he'd played better for the first 37 minutes or so of that game the massive comeback would never have been necessary. All in all it was a good not great performance from where I sat. Not the kind of game that singlehandedly rewrites the leaderboard of world's greatest quarterbacks.
2/7/2017 8:17 PM
Bradshaw had a great career. So did Dan Fouts. So did Jim Hart. Only 1 of them was blessed with a great team surrounding them. If Pittsburgh didn't have that great defense, Bradshaw is another Fouts or Hart.

Brady has 5 rings. Much of how history judges him will put a lot of weight on that. And the chief reason Marino isn't placed higher on many lists...and why Don Coryell isn't talked about more as a great offensive coach. Those Cardinals and Chargers offenses were ridiculously good. How he never found a great defensive coordinator is beyond me.
2/7/2017 8:38 PM (edited)
Favre?
2/7/2017 8:33 PM
Here's another point that may deserve to be made. The Patriots scored 28 regulation points in the Superbowl. Atlanta allowed at least 28 points 9 times during the regular season. Counting the 2 playoff games in which they held opponents below that total, the Patriots Superbowl performance is the exact median offensive performance (in regulation time) against the Falcons this season. Moreover, Brady's 2 TDs and 1 INT are right in line with the Falcons' season averages (31 TD allowed and 12 picks in 16 games). On the other hand, the Falcons had only been held to 28 or fewer points 5 times in 18 games, including the postseason, coming into the Superbowl. So maybe it's not the Patriots' offense that had what should be considered an exceptional performance in that game. Granted, Atlanta still put up great average per play numbers, but the Pats got more stops against them than almost anybody else all season. Is that because of the GOAT Brady?
2/7/2017 8:46 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Wrong forum, dont care Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.