GUESS Star Ratings Topic

There's been some questions recently on the star ratings, so I wanted to "pull back the curtains" and explain to everyone how the ratings are derived. It's actually a pretty simple formula, based on the Recruit Relative Value (RRV)*

The bar is intentionally set high.
5 Stars = 95 or better RRV
4 Stars = 85-94.99 RRV

I don't rate 1/2/3 stars, but if I did, it would probably look like this
3 Stars = 70-84.99 RRV (60-84.99 if drop 0 stars)
2 Stars = 45-69.99 RRV (35-59.99 if drop 0 stars)
1 Star = 25-44.99 RRV (0-34.99 if drop 0 stars)
0 Star = 0-24.99 RRV

*Recruit Relative Value is where a player ranks with regards to other players at his position within the same division. The best player at each position will always have a relative value of 100, and the worst will have a relative value of zero. For the players in between, their relative value is based on where their rating score falls within the range of the best player and the worst player. The formula looks like (PLAYER RATING - WORST RATING) / (BEST RATING - WORST RATING).

For example, if the best player at a position had a rating of 70, and the worst player had a rating of 30, then a player with a rating of 50 (halfway between the two) would have a relative value of 50. A player with a rating of 60 would have a relative value of 75 . In order to be rated 5 stars (95%) the player's rating would have to be 68.50. To get 4 stars or better, a player would have to have a score of 65.5
2/7/2017 12:25 PM (edited)
Could we see a per-position histogram of the RRV? That might help.

Edit: Probably need a matrix of these, actually. Per-position, per-division.

Clarification: A matrix of histograms.
2/7/2017 11:10 PM (edited)
This is helpful thank you!
2/7/2017 6:48 PM
Cool stuff. I never considered it in these terms.
2/7/2017 8:59 PM
Mr Hazelwood --

First, thank you for all you do. It is one of the reasons, I enjoy playing this game so much.

Regarding the RRV, my question is this: If I recruit the number one rushing QB (given my propensity to only run the wishbone) , and that rushing QB is not very good in the regular QB ratings, how should we think of the RRV in relation to "off position" rankings? In other words, a Blocking TE, a blocking WR, a FB and a rushing QB will rarely make the 4 or 5 star rankings. Therefore, those of us who need to recruit these players will never have the "best" draft class (I probably never will either way!). Should we think about this, as gt_deuce commented earlier, in a positional format? Where I really care only about OL and RB in my case as a comparison in the RRV category?

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Namaste.

2/8/2017 5:47 AM
Posted by dalailama12 on 2/8/2017 5:47:00 AM (view original):
Mr Hazelwood --

First, thank you for all you do. It is one of the reasons, I enjoy playing this game so much.

Regarding the RRV, my question is this: If I recruit the number one rushing QB (given my propensity to only run the wishbone) , and that rushing QB is not very good in the regular QB ratings, how should we think of the RRV in relation to "off position" rankings? In other words, a Blocking TE, a blocking WR, a FB and a rushing QB will rarely make the 4 or 5 star rankings. Therefore, those of us who need to recruit these players will never have the "best" draft class (I probably never will either way!). Should we think about this, as gt_deuce commented earlier, in a positional format? Where I really care only about OL and RB in my case as a comparison in the RRV category?

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Namaste.

In another thread, someone suggested that we use a player's highest rated positional role as the basis for for the Relative Value, which I plan to implement. I might be able to expand the "Top 25" list to present the top 25 running QB's, top 25 blocking TE's, etc.
2/8/2017 8:35 AM
Oh man - that would be awesome. Because, I love pass catching TE's, Fullbacks, etc...
2/8/2017 3:44 PM
bump = getting ready to start development
2/11/2017 9:01 AM
GUESS Star Ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.