Signing Type A free agents Topic

When signing a type A free agent, a signing team with an amatuer draft pick lower than 16th pick loses their 2nd round pick instead of 1st round,.is this corrrct?

Also, if the same team in the example above signed multiple type A free agents...is their 1st round draft choice still retained? If so what other pIcks are lost with the subsequent type A signings (if sucessful)

Thank you
2/10/2017 12:55 PM
The picks after.

Lets say you pick 14th. That pick is safe regardless.

You sign a type A, you lose your second round (and the former team of the Type A gets a supplemental as well)
Sign another type A and you lose your third round etc etc.
Also, to answer the question before you ask it, if you have a supplemental pick and you sign a type A, you don't lose it (this includes type D picks as well)
2/10/2017 1:05 PM
When signing a type A free agent, a signing team with an amatuer draft pick lower than 16th pick loses their 2nd round pick instead of 1st round,.is this corrrct?

That is correct, though it's important to understand that it's the first 16 "natural" picks that are protected, i.e. non Type D picks. So if there is a Type D among those first 16 picks, then it's actually the first 17 picks that are protected. If there are multiple Type D's, then adjust accordingly.

Also, if the same team in the example above signed multiple type A free agents...is their 1st round draft choice still retained? If so what other pIcks are lost with the subsequent type A signings (if sucessful)

Subsequent Type A signings will just lose their next natural pick. So in your example, they lose their second round pick by signing their first Type A, they'll lose their third round pick if they sign a second Type A, etc.
2/10/2017 1:06 PM

That is correct, though it's important to understand that it's the first 16 "natural" picks that are protected, i.e. non Type D picks. So if there is a Type D among those first 16 picks, then it's actually the first 17 picks that are protected. If there are multiple Type D's, then adjust accordingly.

This is good to know. I actually had no idea about it being the first 16 natural picks.
2/10/2017 1:08 PM
If I have the 4th (type D) and 14th (natural)... and i take a Type A FA... am I going to lose my #4 Type D? I am worried it is not considered "natural"
4/27/2017 11:06 PM
No, both of those picks would be protected. You would lose your second round pick.
4/28/2017 5:57 AM
Signing Type A free agents Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.