Mike Ilitch dead at 87 Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This is going to kill the Tigers. They've been surviving as a borderline contender for years on nothing but Ilitch money. With a brutally empty farm system and what can only be expected to be a rapidly-decreasing payroll, they may be in for a long, hard fall.
2/10/2017 8:42 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/10/2017 8:42:00 PM (view original):
This is going to kill the Tigers. They've been surviving as a borderline contender for years on nothing but Ilitch money. With a brutally empty farm system and what can only be expected to be a rapidly-decreasing payroll, they may be in for a long, hard fall.
Not really that worried. Got 3 young pitchers in the rotation in Norris, Fulmer, and Boyd. Castellanos at 3rd, Iggy at short. J-Up prob won't opt out his contract, Miggy will hit forever, McCannon at catcher. Hopefully JD re-signs. It isn't as bleak as some people make it to seem.

But I want to keep this about Mike Ilitch, we can discuss in a dofferent thread.
2/10/2017 9:00 PM
He was responsible for a whole lotta ****** pizza.
2/10/2017 9:18 PM
I don't think anybody but you wants a thread about Ilitch aside from his impact on the Tigers and what's going to happen next.

You're delusional dude. "Hopefully JD re-signs." From where I sit, there's almost no chance he'll get an offer. Over the last decade the Tigers have lost pretty close to $70 million. You think you're gonna get another owner who says "Hey, we're not losing enough money, throw a big contract at that guy?" Ilitch was the most generous owner in sports. I don't know that there's been any other owner in history so comfortable with taking a loss in order to win. The Marlins did it to win the WS twice, but for one year at a time. Then those teams were dismantled. Now it's going to be the Tigers turn to be dismantled. Most of their biggest contracts can't even be traded for anything at this point, they don't have the value relative to their cost. But you won't be seeing any big free agent signings in the next 4-5 years, not even of your own guys.
2/10/2017 9:26 PM
Posted by The Taint on 2/10/2017 9:18:00 PM (view original):
He was responsible for a whole lotta ****** pizza.
The pizza was bad, but how can you go right to criticizing that without mentioning his hair. My God. That thing on his head made the thing on Trump's head look like the Mona Lisa.
2/10/2017 10:06 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/10/2017 9:26:00 PM (view original):
I don't think anybody but you wants a thread about Ilitch aside from his impact on the Tigers and what's going to happen next.

You're delusional dude. "Hopefully JD re-signs." From where I sit, there's almost no chance he'll get an offer. Over the last decade the Tigers have lost pretty close to $70 million. You think you're gonna get another owner who says "Hey, we're not losing enough money, throw a big contract at that guy?" Ilitch was the most generous owner in sports. I don't know that there's been any other owner in history so comfortable with taking a loss in order to win. The Marlins did it to win the WS twice, but for one year at a time. Then those teams were dismantled. Now it's going to be the Tigers turn to be dismantled. Most of their biggest contracts can't even be traded for anything at this point, they don't have the value relative to their cost. But you won't be seeing any big free agent signings in the next 4-5 years, not even of your own guys.
ya, that kinda tends to happen to teams in big markets chasing a ring. They lose money. Happens to the Yankees, the Dodgers, and yes, the Tigers. The Dodgers have lost 166.3 million dollars in the last 3 years. They're still chasing a ring with a bloated payroll. Point is, the Tigers have profited over the last 5 years, and since they're still chasing a ring, I do have hope for JD re-signing, even though I dont think it'll happen.Mike Pelfrey, Anibal Sanchez, V-Mart, Kinsler, and Prince Fielder's contract comes off the book in 2 years so they'll have some money to spend. I'm not saying they'll spend $80-$100 mil once their contracts expire, but its not hard to believe they'll re-sign a fan favorite.
2/10/2017 10:57 PM
Mike Ilitch dead at 87 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.