MLB extra inning rule change in the works? Topic

Posted by toddcommish on 2/23/2017 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2017 4:02:00 PM (view original):
That's a ridiculous stance to take.
Not really. RUNNING AROUND THE BASES IS PART OF THE GAME. If you don't touch first, you can't go to second (or you shouldn't, Marv Throneberry). It's pretty fundamental.
Running the bases after a homer is a waste of time.
2/23/2017 5:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2017 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 2/23/2017 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2017 4:02:00 PM (view original):
That's a ridiculous stance to take.
Not really. RUNNING AROUND THE BASES IS PART OF THE GAME. If you don't touch first, you can't go to second (or you shouldn't, Marv Throneberry). It's pretty fundamental.
Running the bases after a homer is a waste of time.
But people won't change the channel when someone is trotting around the bases. More likely, the jog around the bags is being ignored in favor of instant replay or "This homer brought to you by GNC, home of Muscle Milk and Protein Powder".

People will change the channel when they show Clint Hurdle/Joe Girardi/Ned Yost stumble out to the mound to ask the starter "How ya feel?" or a .220 hitter adjusting his gloves in the batter's box.
2/23/2017 6:36 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/23/2017 3:53:00 PM (view original):
The best ways to speed up the game are purely behind the scenes.
  • Establish a firm two-minute commercial break between half-innings. The pitcher and infield have to be completed with their warmups, and the batter must be in the box when the clock reaches 0:00. If either isn't ready, fine them (or the team... or both)
  • Establish a firm two-minute time frame for pitching changes. Warmup pitches stop when the clock reaches 0:00 or pitcher/manager get fined. Batter must be in the box, or gets fined.
  • No visits to the mound... period. Catcher stays put, manager stays in the dugout, fielders stay in position. Pitching changes are made by hand signal, unless a double-switch. Coaches in football and basketball don't wander onto the field/court to discuss "Don't give him anything to hit, but don't walk him either..."
  • Batter can step out of the box ONCE per at-bat. Pitcher can leave the mound ONCE per at-bat (no more of this walking around the mound, rubbing up a baseball that already has Delaware-certified mud on it)
None of these actually change the GAME dynamic, but eliminate a lot of the time-wasters that kill game-flow and audience interest.
I get the need for a manager to talk to his pitcher in a crucial spot. I get the need for a batter to step out with 40,000 people watching him with a runner on third. It all just comes down to the pitcher stepping on the rubber, and the batter should be in the batters box when the pitcher is on the rubber.
2/23/2017 8:22 PM
No new inning after two and half hours. In fact a drop-dead rule, game ends right at two and half hours no matter what is going on.
2/24/2017 2:11 PM
Posted by bench5 on 2/24/2017 2:13:00 PM (view original):
No new inning after two and half hours. In fact a drop-dead rule, game ends right at two and half hours no matter what is going on.
"There's a long drive deep to left field. It's way back. Going, going . . . oh sorry, folks. Time's up."
2/24/2017 2:21 PM
That's the thing about the idiotic "ball if the pitcher takes too long" or "strike if the batter steps out of the box" rule proposals.

Game Seven, bottom of the ninth, tie score, bases loaded, full count. Do you really think the umpire is gonna decide the game by either calling a batter OUT because he steps out :or: calling "ball four" because the pitch clock got to 0:00? DON'T CHANGE THE ******* RULES.

Just fine the players (or the coaches or the teams) for clock violations. They already have a uniform police department that fines players for wearing the wrong socks or too much "awesome" on their cleats. Just create an "Office of the GameFlow" that fines anyone who slows a game down: a slow trot around the bases, a long delay followed by a "Nah, we won't challenge", a mound visit that lasts three minutes, a batter who steps out of the box after EVERY pitch, a pitcher who insists on getting new baseballs (one of my pet peeves). It won't change the RULES of the game, but the players/coaches will learn (through their wallets) how to play the game quicker.
2/24/2017 3:25 PM
Perhaps you've never heard of the most powerful union in sports. It's called the MLBPA. Float that **** past them and tell me what you get.
2/24/2017 3:31 PM
the problem is specialization-if thats the word-from the 7th on managers gotta bring in a lefty to face a lefty,etc.its not necessary.LaRussa pretty much started this.when u have a 3-2 9 inning game & use 6 pitchers somethings wrong.All those other things -stepping out batter box-manager talking to pitcher are fairly insignificant
2/24/2017 10:18 PM
anyway he acts like someone whos gonna say "All baseball teams must have a transgender bathroom for their players"
2/24/2017 10:25 PM
ballplayers can **** anywhere

you're probably thinking of golf or tennis or something
2/24/2017 11:51 PM
Sounds like a ballplayer ****** on you.

Don't be bitter. It doesn't happen to everyone. Probably just you.
2/26/2017 7:07 PM
apparently i stepped on some transgender toes i deeply apologize
2/26/2017 7:56 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/24/2017 3:25:00 PM (view original):
That's the thing about the idiotic "ball if the pitcher takes too long" or "strike if the batter steps out of the box" rule proposals.

Game Seven, bottom of the ninth, tie score, bases loaded, full count. Do you really think the umpire is gonna decide the game by either calling a batter OUT because he steps out :or: calling "ball four" because the pitch clock got to 0:00? DON'T CHANGE THE ******* RULES.

Just fine the players (or the coaches or the teams) for clock violations. They already have a uniform police department that fines players for wearing the wrong socks or too much "awesome" on their cleats. Just create an "Office of the GameFlow" that fines anyone who slows a game down: a slow trot around the bases, a long delay followed by a "Nah, we won't challenge", a mound visit that lasts three minutes, a batter who steps out of the box after EVERY pitch, a pitcher who insists on getting new baseballs (one of my pet peeves). It won't change the RULES of the game, but the players/coaches will learn (through their wallets) how to play the game quicker.
The pitch clock thing seemed to be working fine when they first implemented it, but then the umps became *******. Guys like Ortiz kept stepping out to push the envelope and umps wouldn't enforce it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game where a young ump finally got tired of Papi's ****. Papi continually showed him up and eventually got tossed. We need more of that.
2/27/2017 12:01 PM

Next up...a pitch clock.

I don't think this commissioner has ever played the game.
2/27/2017 5:48 PM
Posted by redsfive on 2/27/2017 5:48:00 PM (view original):

Next up...a pitch clock.

I don't think this commissioner has ever played the game.
Why? There is no reason a pitcher can't get the ball and deliver the next pitch within 20 seconds. Up until 25-30 years ago, pitchers moved at a faster pace than that.
2/28/2017 11:59 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
MLB extra inning rule change in the works? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.