Mordecai Needs 1 For Season 43 Topic

Mordecai has just rolled over into our 43rd season, and we're looking for 3 new owners.

Mordecai was always private for our first 42 seasons before going public to fill last season. I'd still like to keep it private and have some control over new owners.

Available teams:
AL West Team - This team has had 3 owners in 3 seasons, and has been getting progressively worst. However, they HAVE had top draft pick the last few seasons (and another this year), so its a franchise that could be ready to rebound with an experienced owner.

NL North Team - This team had one owner for 36 seasons before changing hands last season. The new owner turned this into a playoff team, but opted not to return this season. This is a playoff-ready team.

NL West Team - After making the playoffs 11 times in 12 seasons (including 1 Championship), this team is now in the midst of its rebuild. This team does have to draft picks in the top 11 this season, so your rebuild should be off to a nice start!

As for the world itself:

Mordecai is a great, low-key, competitive, yet friendly private league. No infighting, no drama, no traderaping... just a bunch of guys interested in competitive play. We have had several seasons where no owners have left and no openings to fill. Many of our owners have been here 30+ seasons and have this as their only team. I really couldn't ask for a better group of guys in this world.

While we don't have any hardcore membership rules, this is what I would like to see in a new owner:

- I prefer an owner who doesn't have several other teams. You're a member of Mordecai, I want you to pay attention to this team. I find that owners of large numbers of teams are not as attentive. They aren't necessarily bad owners... they just aren't as attentive. In general, I tend to shy away from anyone who has 5 or more teams already.

- A proven track record. I will look at your history. If you have a bunch of one-and-dones, or have a history of your teams getting worse rather than better, we're probably not a good fit. I pride myself on finding owners who will commit to long-term, competitive teams.

- I want someone who can show they know how to play the game without tanking to get there. I understand the need to rebuild, but don't plan on winning 40 games per year on your way to "rebuilding". It IS possible to rebuild and be competitive at the same time. If your winning percentage stays under .400 for any length of time, expect a message from me.

- I like owners who are active in world chat. Contribute something to the world.

- Owners should be willing to maintain their minor league system. I dont expect you to sign overpriced free agents to try and win in the minors... but I dont think its asking too much to sign your draft picks, maintain a rested pitching staff, promote appropriately to prevent tons of retirements, etc.

- I have been known to consider HBD n00bs in the past, but you'll really need to impress me. A sitemail with just "I'm interested" probably isn't going to get it done.

Anyone who can meet (or exceed) these criteria will likely be a good fit for Mordecai.

I know I sound like a hardass above, but this is only in the "find a new owner" phase. Once we get rolling, I chill out. :)

If you are interested in joining our world, please sitemail me ASAP. Thanks.

BTW... you will never see this world offer paid incentives to join (as long as I am commissioner). I believe those types of worlds result in a lot of short-term owners, and they'll be back in the same boat again in a season or two. I'm more interested in stable, long-term owners.
2/18/2017 10:59 AM (edited)
Opening Day is just a month and a half away!
2/13/2017 8:28 AM
I've got tentative interest in the AL team. Both NL teams still available.
2/13/2017 10:06 PM
Bump
2/14/2017 2:25 PM
Two teams gone.. one left until we get this season moving.
2/14/2017 10:10 PM
One last team to go. Who wants to set budgets tonight?
2/15/2017 6:10 PM
Best world in HBD!
2/16/2017 11:12 AM
Bump
2/17/2017 7:40 PM
Its going to be almost 60 degrees here in the Northeast... it feels like Spring Training is here... lets get started!
2/18/2017 10:58 AM
Our one remaining team has 2 picks in the top 11 in this season's draft... start your rebuild off right!
2/18/2017 8:08 PM
Mordecai Needs 1 For Season 43 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.