Zone Defense and Individual Matchups Topic

If I'm playing a 2-3 zone, and I have one elite defensive guard and one average defensive guard, is there any benefit at all against trying to matchup my elite defensive guard against my opponent's better offensive guard? Or does the fact that I'm playing a 2-3 zone completely eliminate individual matchups?

I'm assuming that if it's the latter, then my defense is basically going to be the average of my 2 guards for the "2" (in the 2-3), and the average of my SF, PF and C for the "3" in the 2-3. Is that correct?

Finally, another related question: if I have one noticeably weaker defensive player in my frontcourt, is playing him at C (i.e., the "middle guy" of the "3" in my 2-3) making a difference? This is under the assumption that he is flanked on either side by two stronger defenders.

Thanks.
2/12/2017 5:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
In the 2-3, I'm pretty sure the center is factored in by himself, so you want your best defensive big at C.
2/12/2017 5:28 PM
Well I think that is incorrect.

I have from a very good source that the 2-3 is essentially a 2-2-1 where the C stands alone. A weak D center almost has to be in a 3-2(assuming, of course, the PF is better defensively).
2/12/2017 5:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
For Zone: This Thread:
2/12/2017 5:40 PM
Posted by dpatteson7 on 2/12/2017 5:28:00 PM (view original):
In the 2-3, I'm pretty sure the center is factored in by himself, so you want your best defensive big at C.
This is correct.
2/12/2017 10:09 PM
Wow - I just read the thread linked above. I always thought with a 2/3 that the two guards were averaged and the SF, PF and C were averaged, but knowing that the C stands alone might change how I approach it with my positioning.
2/12/2017 10:35 PM
Bump for wizard.
2/13/2017 11:25 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 2/12/2017 10:35:00 PM (view original):
Wow - I just read the thread linked above. I always thought with a 2/3 that the two guards were averaged and the SF, PF and C were averaged, but knowing that the C stands alone might change how I approach it with my positioning.
It's certainly not intuitive, and to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense, that two players who are not physically adjacent to each other (the SF and the PF, who are flanking an independent C) are working together as a unit.
2/13/2017 12:18 PM
Good point. Although they are not a unit, their effect in a 2-3 is symmetrical, what one does is sort of a mirror image of what the other does.
It could also be said that considering the center separately is counter-intuitive as well. Knowing what it is in HD is good enough for playing HD, I guess.
2/13/2017 12:27 PM
I suppose to make it less confusing, it should be renamed a 2-1-2 zone.
2/13/2017 12:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2017 11:25:00 AM (view original):
Bump for wizard.
5/2/2014 1:39 PM Customer Support
The main differences between a 2-3 and 3-2 in the engine are the way that players are evaluated for defensive ability and the impact on perimeter vs. paint.

In a 2-3, positions are lumped as PG/SG, SF/PF, and C by itself. In a 3-2, PG/SG/SF are lumped together, and PF/C are together. Each group of positions is evaluated based on different rating weights.

I guess I was wrong then. Clearly the programmer didn't know a thing about the game of basketball. I'm not sure how you clump the SF and PF in a 2-3 when they are supposed to be on opposite sides of the center. Another gem created by seble I guess.
2/13/2017 12:55 PM
I don't know if anyone took notice, but they also have the halfcourt press backwards. You're supposed to press in your own defensive half of the court.
2/13/2017 1:03 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 2/13/2017 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2017 11:25:00 AM (view original):
Bump for wizard.
5/2/2014 1:39 PM Customer Support
The main differences between a 2-3 and 3-2 in the engine are the way that players are evaluated for defensive ability and the impact on perimeter vs. paint.

In a 2-3, positions are lumped as PG/SG, SF/PF, and C by itself. In a 3-2, PG/SG/SF are lumped together, and PF/C are together. Each group of positions is evaluated based on different rating weights.

I guess I was wrong then. Clearly the programmer didn't know a thing about the game of basketball. I'm not sure how you clump the SF and PF in a 2-3 when they are supposed to be on opposite sides of the center. Another gem created by seble I guess.
There clumped together because the offense moves....you put the 3 on the right and the 4 on the left but the offensive players are always moving. Offensively, you could be covered by either one of those guys depending on what side you're on.
2/13/2017 1:53 PM
12 Next ▸
Zone Defense and Individual Matchups Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.