Zone Defense and Individual Matchups Topic

Posted by thewizard17 on 2/13/2017 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I don't know if anyone took notice, but they also have the halfcourt press backwards. You're supposed to press in your own defensive half of the court.
really? I see a lot of teams that press initially and then drop back into a man or a zone if the opponent gets across mid court - in real life. Or is that what you are saying?

2/13/2017 2:06 PM
So then it's more of a distorted matchup zone. Not just a traditional 2-3 zone.
2/13/2017 2:06 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 2/13/2017 2:06:00 PM (view original):
So then it's more of a distorted matchup zone. Not just a traditional 2-3 zone.
I think of it as you're just as likely to be covered by either of the guys.
2/13/2017 2:23 PM
Posted by metsmax on 2/13/2017 2:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 2/13/2017 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I don't know if anyone took notice, but they also have the halfcourt press backwards. You're supposed to press in your own defensive half of the court.
really? I see a lot of teams that press initially and then drop back into a man or a zone if the opponent gets across mid court - in real life. Or is that what you are saying?

Right. You press off the inbound and when they cross mid-court then you fall back into your traditional half-court defensive set. How could you play zone on their end of the court? Not possible.
2/13/2017 2:24 PM

Real life wiki definition.

A full-court press is a basketball term for a defensive style in which the defense applies pressure to the offensive team the entire length of the court before and after the inbound pass. Pressure may be applied man-to-man, or via a zone press using a zone defense. Some presses attempt to deny the initial inbounds pass and trap ball handlers either in the backcourt or at midcourt.

Defenses not employing a full-court press generally allow the offensive team to get halfway down the court (a half-court press) or near the basket before applying strong defensive pressure.

2/13/2017 2:42 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 2/13/2017 2:42:00 PM (view original):

A full-court press is a basketball term for a defensive style in which the defense applies pressure to the offensive team the entire length of the court before and after the inbound pass. Pressure may be applied man-to-man, or via a zone press using a zone defense. Some presses attempt to deny the initial inbounds pass and trap ball handlers either in the backcourt or at midcourt.

Defenses not employing a full-court press generally allow the offensive team to get halfway down the court (a half-court press) or near the basket before applying strong defensive pressure.

thats an interesting wiki definition and I'm sure that accurately states what is in that source

That isnt what I see watching lots of college and high school ball.

Heck that isnt what I saw when I went to AAU ball

There are a handful of teams that pretty much "press" all or nearly all the time - think West Virginia now - think Arkansas 48 minutes of hell a few years back

There are TONS of teams that press on the inbound or press 3/4 court - often sustaining the press until the offense "breaks" it and then dropping back as quickly as they can into a half court defense - man or zone.

I believe that is what is actually played.
2/13/2017 5:54 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 2/13/2017 2:42:00 PM (view original):

Interesting, thanks for posting. I interpreted the halfcourt press/2-3 zone as it describes a deny press. You guard the inbounder and try to get a steal or trap. If they break the press then you settle in to the 2-3 zone as your base defense once they get get into the half court. If it was reversed, then you'd be in a 2-3 zone and once they crossed half court, you'd press. Huh? Not really a 2-3 zone at that point. You'd have to be pressing and trapping otherwise you're not doing anything. In which case, you're in a full court zone press.

Whether they got the terminology right or not is debatable but the way it works in HD is - press until halfcourt and then go to either m2m or zone.
2/13/2017 5:55 PM
◂ Prev 12
Zone Defense and Individual Matchups Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.