How to limit personal fouls? Topic

My team fouls A LOT. How do I fix that? is it based on IQ? and if so, right now by practice plan is 15 minutes on offense and 15 min on defense. Is that typically enough or should I invest more time in it?
2/13/2017 2:28 AM
The IQ is a definite part of it seeing as you have just one player above a B in defensive IQ. That's a function of the 15 minutes. I give my players 25 and I would guess you'd be hard-pressed to find a long-time coach on here that would advocate for less than 20 under normal circumstances. This is probably the biggest contributor.

There's also a couple other factors that I would suggest are affecting the foul situation -- you've run uptempo in every game, but you also have a team stamina rating of 69. That's going to have players playing in the yellow/orange/red zone for stamina, which in turn leads to more fouls. Look at the fatigue levels for your players at the 4 and 8 minute marks of each half in the box scores. This also creates a game with more possessions, which just magnifies the IQ effect above. I won't say I'd never run uptempo with that team, but it certainly would not be my default. In fact, it would be extremely rare.

Other things that are probably contributing fouls are the guy with the 11 defense rating that's getting 25+ mpg -- he's going to be slap-happy. The lowish team athleticism total is also probably responsible for a couple fouls, particularly against opponents who have an ath/spd advantage on you.
2/13/2017 3:07 AM
ahh thanks that was a lot of help.
2/13/2017 8:29 AM
Red did a great job analyzing your situation...
In general here are some ways to get less fouls:
Slow down and make sure you're not gassed, practice team 25/ game to get the IQs up, get more speed, D, and athleticism....
Then its a matter of the type of D you run. Most fouls is obviously press, followed by man, followed by zone.
2/13/2017 8:59 AM
If I recollect right, you commit more falls at - settings than + settings. Have to watch the offensive strength of your opponent on that.
2/13/2017 10:47 AM
You need a least 20 min. Then the other things that cause fouls are : Low Def, Low Spd, Low Ath, Low Stm and tired players.
2/13/2017 11:17 AM
How to limit personal fouls? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.