Best all around SS Topic

It's easier to explain in the IF where it's just reaction. See the pitch, lean in the right direction, catch the ball. In the OF, it's a little more difficult because you can get a bad read but, if you're fast, make up for it. I played several years where I was easily our slowest OF but covered the most ground. It was just better anticipation, more or less the ability to "read" the hitter, and start moving while everyone else was standing flatfooted. But, if I moved wrong, I was toast.
2/14/2017 2:49 PM
That makes sense. As per the opposite, when I played I was very fast on the base paths but even in LF I would second guess where the ball was coming off the bat and the trajectory. I'd be able to make the catch 95 times out of 100 but I didn't cover a lot of ground due to second guessing myself and constantly making 'micro-adjustments'.
2/14/2017 2:55 PM
That's pretty much it. I like to say "2 steps in, 37 back" when a dude misjudges a ball and it rolls to the fence. The initial reaction is key.
2/14/2017 3:02 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 2/14/2017 2:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2017 3:07:00 PM (view original):
This guy was just put in the MG HOF. S29 he had more + plays than errors and won the SS. Probably didn't win GG because some .203 hitter won it.

Player Profile: Greg Wood - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
Heck of a player. I've always wondered this, how can a guy have a range of 88 with a speed of only 44? Does that chalk up to just good positional play or smart play that results in taking the best possible route to the ball?
Try watching JJ Hardy sometime. Positions himself well, gets to a lot of balls, but as a hitter, he hobbles around the bases like an 80 year old man with no knees.
2/14/2017 3:13 PM
Player Profile: Aubrey Morton may be a definitive answer to this question ... 1674 career games at SS (in a neutral home park), with .981 fielding % and 114 to 8 +/-, along with 560+ HR 1450+ RBI .257/.319/.521 slash line in 7900+ career at bats. Never a GG but was certainly above average, 7 SSs and a HR derby
2/14/2017 6:42 PM
Best SS I have. Seems to have the potential to be good in the field and at the plate...
Player Profile: Fu-Te Hyun - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
2/14/2017 9:42 PM
I like seeing some of these shortstops, I wasn't sure what to think about this guy since I am still learning but from what I've seen here, barring injury, I shouldn't have to worry about SS for the next 10 seasons and his defense is still improving. Probably more likely to get a SS than GG but should be a positive defensive player

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7780641
2/15/2017 12:09 PM
Posted by mtanton07 on 2/15/2017 12:09:00 PM (view original):
I like seeing some of these shortstops, I wasn't sure what to think about this guy since I am still learning but from what I've seen here, barring injury, I shouldn't have to worry about SS for the next 10 seasons and his defense is still improving. Probably more likely to get a SS than GG but should be a positive defensive player

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7780641
With 55 health if your medical isn't already at $20 get it there quick. Any injury and a trip to the super solider program (60 day DL with 20 mill) and he'll be a monster.
2/15/2017 12:50 PM
Yes, Training and Medical are maxed out...I read these forums as much as I can so I learned early to get there as quick as I could!
2/15/2017 1:13 PM
Dang. That's one of the best overall players I've seen. 93 dur to boot, he can get 625 abs!
2/15/2017 8:05 PM
I didn't realize that the guy I have at SS on one of my teams is as rare as he apparently is. Player Profile: Yannick Camilli - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports He isn't going to win any gold gloves with the all glove no hit guys that populate the position, but he's more than adequate in the field and he's a more complete hitter than the guys who have been posted.
2/16/2017 11:13 AM
Posted by loudawg10 on 2/16/2017 11:13:00 AM (view original):
I didn't realize that the guy I have at SS on one of my teams is as rare as he apparently is. Player Profile: Yannick Camilli - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports He isn't going to win any gold gloves with the all glove no hit guys that populate the position, but he's more than adequate in the field and he's a more complete hitter than the guys who have been posted.
Jesus. Someone traded you that player? Probably one of the best overall position players I have ever seen in terms of defense + hitting ability.
2/16/2017 11:22 AM
He was traded to me. I sent 3 guys back to him - Player Profile: Roberto Bonilla - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports was the main guy, but the other 2 pieces were a recent 1st round pitcher and a good hitting DITR C. At the time I was worried it was an overpay and I was sad to trade Bobby Bo's little brother Robby Bo, but I had bats to spare and needed an upgrade. The kicker was the guy I traded with didn't add Bonilla to his 40 man roster and went 6 yr minor league FA after the season. He was immediately signed to a max contract in FA.
2/16/2017 12:08 PM
◂ Prev 12
Best all around SS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.