Recruiting Battle Advice Topic

Hey guys quick question.

Just got a new job at a D2 school and I've got one scholarship. I've got two recruits on my radar, both D1 projected. Both have moderate interest in a user controlled team. The first guy is a D3 school with A+ prestige, the second guy is a D1 school with D+ prestige. Both players are very similar and I'de be happy with either one, just trying to figure out which guy I have the best chance of getting. I'm a D2 with B- prestige.

Edit: More info.
Both teams have three openings, the D1 guy has already signed two guys, and hasn't offered a scholarship. The D3 guy hasn't signed anyone yet and has offered a scholarship.

My gut is saying it would be easier to battle the D1 guy but since the player is projected D1 maybe he'd still rather go with him?
2/13/2017 3:13 PM (edited)
Unless I am missing something, I think you're much more likely to beat the D3 team. You have a prestige advantage and probably have the ability to go to 20 HV's and he might not.
2/13/2017 2:54 PM
I guess what I'm really asking is to rank these in order of appeal for a D1 projected recruit: D3 (A+), D2 (B-), D1 (D+)
2/13/2017 3:10 PM
Posted by fluff_nasty on 2/13/2017 3:10:00 PM (view original):
I guess what I'm really asking is to rank these in order of appeal for a D1 projected recruit: D3 (A+), D2 (B-), D1 (D+)
If all the schools put it identical effort, D1 is more appealing than D2 which is more appealing than D3. Also important to keep in mind is that D3 schools can only sign D1 recruits in the last 24 hours of recruiting, while you as a D2 school can sign D1 recruits throughout the second recruiting period
2/13/2017 3:53 PM (edited)
Posted by fluff_nasty on 2/13/2017 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys quick question.

Just got a new job at a D2 school and I've got one scholarship. I've got two recruits on my radar, both D1 projected. Both have moderate interest in a user controlled team. The first guy is a D3 school with A+ prestige, the second guy is a D1 school with D+ prestige. Both players are very similar and I'de be happy with either one, just trying to figure out which guy I have the best chance of getting. I'm a D2 with B- prestige.

Both teams have three openings, the D1 guy has already signed two guys, and hasn't offered a scholarship. The D3 guy hasn't signed anyone yet and has offered a scholarship.

My gut is saying it would be easier to battle the D1 guy but since the player is projected D1 maybe he'd still rather go with him?
You're reaching too high go after the 150-200 range guarenteed signing.
2/13/2017 3:32 PM
The fact the D1 hasn't offered a scholarship is perhaps the telling factor here for me -- the D3 guy could have piled on points, a start, minutes, etc. in the first session and be drawing a multiplier effect there. The D1 hasn't offered a scholarship, indicating the player might only be a backup plan that the guy threw modest attention at and really hasn't done anything else to. Throwing AP that direction for one round to see the reaction of the human D1 to a new challenge on the block and/or to see how quickly you gain in standing with the recruit might tip the hand for how much work was done in Session 1 on the kid.

Remember that the "Moderate" for the D1 is a true status...that player isn't high/very high yet. The D3 "moderate" status is actually a placeholder because the team can't sign the kid yet, but the school could already be High/Very High in terms of where it actually stands with the recruit.
2/13/2017 3:47 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 2/13/2017 3:32:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys quick question.

That assessment is just wrong. Both parts of the statement are inaccurate.
2/13/2017 4:14 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/13/2017 4:14:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys quick question.

Why I always sign 150-200 what range is he going after?
2/13/2017 4:22 PM
Get on both, and make to open hvs before last day against d3... d1, if he wants to sign him he will. If he is not, waive a player.
2/13/2017 4:44 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 2/13/2017 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys quick question.

That's a good question ward. I think the answer to "why do I always sign guys in the 150-200 range"? Is because you are targeting guys with big flaws that no d1 team wants.

looking at your team you are picking guys that are balanced but lower than they should be in their cores. Generally speaking you want d2 guys to have 70s in their cores, d1 teams want 80s. Your guys are like 60s.

now you can take guys in the 60s if they have one super strong skill. A 60 ath, 60 def, 60 block 90 rebound guy has a place on many d2 teams if he doesn't have the 90 he isn't good.
2/13/2017 4:56 PM
Hey guys quick question.

Bzzzzzzzzzz

WRONG!

Ranking doesn't matter. Look for Guys with green low votes or green low Ath and De
2/13/2017 5:04 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/13/2017 4:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 2/13/2017 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys quick question.

That's a good question ward. I think the answer to "why do I always sign guys in the 150-200 range"? Is because you are targeting guys with big flaws that no d1 team wants.

looking at your team you are picking guys that are balanced but lower than they should be in their cores. Generally speaking you want d2 guys to have 70s in their cores, d1 teams want 80s. Your guys are like 60s.

now you can take guys in the 60s if they have one super strong skill. A 60 ath, 60 def, 60 block 90 rebound guy has a place on many d2 teams if he doesn't have the 90 he isn't good.
I forgot to add a coma, I don't really bother with ratings. In real life most coaches go after potential and try to hit the ceiling with there players. That's what I try to do I try to hit the ceiling with my players and max them out.
2/13/2017 5:08 PM
be careful about so much detail - the other coaches involved may also read this thread
2/13/2017 5:50 PM
Posted by metsmax on 2/13/2017 5:50:00 PM (view original):
be careful about so much detail - the other coaches involved may also read this thread
I haven't hit on everything thanks though!
2/13/2017 6:44 PM
You should try to look and see if the D3 player is moderate and leading or in a battle on several other players. If so, he has probably split his resources. If not, he may be going all in on the guy. However if the D3 guy is very far from the player, he may not be able to go all in with 20 HVs and a CV. A D3 team only gets $1,000 plus $1,000 per opening. So he has a maximum of $4,000 to spend if he has not spent any on another player.

Home Visits are $200 + 30¢ per mile and a CV is $400 + 50¢ per mile

If the recruit is 300 miles away from him and he does a CV for $550, he has $3450 left meaning he could only do 11 HVs
If the recruit is 200 miles away from him and he does a CV for$500, he has $3500 left meaning he could do 13 HVs
If the recruit is 100 miles away from him and he does a CV for $450, he has $3550 left and could do 15 HVs.

My belief would be that you should be able to beat the D3 team if you go all in with 20 HVs and a CV. You may not be able to either, but you should be able to do 3-4 more HVs than he can. That would be my play. Plus, if you just took over the team, it's probably not that good and you could perhaps promise a start.

That would be the way to test out how committed either team is - promising a start to both players and see what affect that has on how much they are considering you. I would also promise 10-15 minutes as well.
2/13/2017 9:46 PM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting Battle Advice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.