Trade for pending FA Topic

I just traded for a pending FA (as he just went through his third arbitration with another team). Player Profile: Marc Dougherty - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

I thought I read on the forums that these guys are open to LT deals with their new teams. I just went to negotiate a LT deal and he said "With free-agency looming, I'm going to at least see what the market has to offer. Let's talk again in the offseason."

Does anyone know if I will be able to sign him LT before FA during the off-season?

Thanks.
2/13/2017 4:29 PM
There is a chance they will sign. Sadly he is probably going to go to FA next season.

Pray that he is a Type A free agent. You might get him for cheaper.
2/13/2017 4:48 PM
That guy should be a lock for a TypeA. Lots of people should be after him. Looks like you traded three AAAA type players for 2/3 of a season and a sup round pick (or saving a pick if you sign him in FA). Not a bad deal.
2/13/2017 5:18 PM
Just saw the player now. Save your pennies if you want him back. I could see someone shelling out a max contract for a 28 year old SP1. Like Brian mentioned, you got him for nothing so enjoy.
2/13/2017 5:38 PM
Normally when guys are traded after 3 arb years they are more willing to re sign with the new team but not always. I've had both happen for me
2/14/2017 12:11 PM
I think the better question is, who let that guy go to a 3rd arb? Yeesh.
2/14/2017 12:21 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 2/14/2017 12:21:00 PM (view original):
I think the better question is, who let that guy go to a 3rd arb? Yeesh.
New owner. Just guessing, might have missed arb day, or is trying to *ahem* "rebuild."

2/14/2017 12:40 PM
What about trading for a guy in the last year of his first long term contract? My limited experience has been they always re-sign without going to FA but I might have just been lucky.
2/23/2017 11:42 PM
I think patience rating is the deciding factor. 60+ patience guys will always negotiate with you, 50-59 patience guys are a toss up, and sub-50 guys will always test the market. Pretty sure I read that somewhere, but could be wrong...

Player Profile: Nash Thompson - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports has been criminally underpaid while helping me win 3 WS rings, because he's never gone to free agency - and I'm pretty sure it's that 97 patience.
3/1/2017 10:46 AM
I once had a 98 Patience guy who let me take him to five arbs, and still would have signed long term afterward.

3/1/2017 1:34 PM
That Nash Thompson is bona fide HOF. 7 CY awards. Always enjoy looking at careers like that.
3/3/2017 10:39 PM
Trade for pending FA Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.