Non-con scheduling Topic

When is the right time to start? I know I want to schedule teams that will go 25-1 with their only loss to me. I also believe, at this point, that I'll have a hard time getting Top 25 humans to schedule me. I think I'll have a pretty solid team next season but there's really no reason for them to believe that now.

But I also don't want to wait til game 22 as I'm afraid the top, yet beatable teams, will have filled their schedules.
2/14/2017 12:16 PM
I was told to wait till about 2/3 through the season and start trying to schedule top 100 RPI teams that have a lot returning if you're looking to strengthen your post season position. Personally, I've been scheduling 7-8 sims with a lot returning and a couple stronger humans. Don't feel like I have a program ready for a top SOS type of schedule and I believe our conference is on the rise, therefore will provide a nice RPI boost after non-con games.

Interested in some of the vets' various opinions.
2/14/2017 12:20 PM
You're in a full conference, so I wouldn't go too crazy in non-con. Like mum said, SIM teams that are loaded with upper classmen (if you think you can beat them). I try to schedule maybe two games tough games against better human coaches.
2/14/2017 12:29 PM
Still in a rebuild, your team really isn't that good and would get destroyed by most Top 25 teams.

I tend to schedule early. You want to schedule teams you can hopefully beat, but good enough that they will be competitive too the rest of their schedule. You can go 25-1 but means nothing if your SOS is 300.

I like to schedule all road games to help the RPI. Not as bad of a loss if it's on the road.
2/14/2017 12:30 PM
Send out invitations early and often. If you want to play top 25 teams just ask, most people accept.
2/14/2017 12:34 PM
Posted by KVegas on 2/14/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Still in a rebuild, your team really isn't that good and would get destroyed by most Top 25 teams.

I tend to schedule early. You want to schedule teams you can hopefully beat, but good enough that they will be competitive too the rest of their schedule. You can go 25-1 but means nothing if your SOS is 300.

I like to schedule all road games to help the RPI. Not as bad of a loss if it's on the road.
Not looking to debate the quality of my team but I played the current #6 in an exhibition and lost by 14. I don't think that's destroyed. He played similarly to how he's playing his guys now. Maybe not much gameplanning. And, with one senior, 4 freshmen I think I'll be better next season. You're coming up on my schedule. Will I be destroyed?

All that said, I scheduled early last season and my non-con looks like crap. Started scrounging around yesterday/this morning and, with the 3 I scheduled, I think I'm getting crap again. I'm not overly concerned with this season's schedule, I don't expect to be in the running for a NT spot but I don't want to screw myself next season.
2/14/2017 12:44 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/14/2017 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Send out invitations early and often. If you want to play top 25 teams just ask, most people accept.
This might be the info I need. I was sort of looking at it as an unsolicited trade offer in HBD. You know 99% of the time it's complete crap. I even sent bofreedom a SM before asking for an exhibition. Of course, I saw whitey24 calling out a guy for sending him non-con requests so that only cemented what I already thought. Thanks.
2/14/2017 12:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/14/2017 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by KVegas on 2/14/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):

Not looking to debate the quality of my team but I played the current #6 in an exhibition and lost by 14. I don't think that's destroyed. He played similarly to how he's playing his guys now. Maybe not much gameplanning. And, with one senior, 4 freshmen I think I'll be better next season. You're coming up on my schedule. Will I be destroyed?

All that said, I scheduled early last season and my non-con looks like crap. Started scrounging around yesterday/this morning and, with the 3 I scheduled, I think I'm getting crap again. I'm not overly concerned with this season's schedule, I don't expect to be in the running for a NT spot but I don't want to screw myself next season.
Didn't mean any disrespect, destroyed probably wasn't the right word. Just don't think your defense is quite there yet but might be okay for zone. Saw after that we play in a couple days so probably eat my words lol.

2/14/2017 1:13 PM
It's all good. "Destroyed" seemed a bit harsh but I have no illusions of grandeur with my team. We're not Top 25 material yet. I did OK with my first recruiting class but I think I nailed it with my 2nd. I'm hoping next season to get a NT spot. That's why I didn't want to jack up non-con scheduling.
2/14/2017 1:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/14/2017 12:16:00 PM (view original):
When is the right time to start? I know I want to schedule teams that will go 25-1 with their only loss to me. I also believe, at this point, that I'll have a hard time getting Top 25 humans to schedule me. I think I'll have a pretty solid team next season but there's really no reason for them to believe that now.

But I also don't want to wait til game 22 as I'm afraid the top, yet beatable teams, will have filled their schedules.
Wait till RPI is finalized, then schedule on your day off or the first game of non conference.
2/14/2017 2:45 PM
I think it is a mistake to focus primarily on current season RPI. What I am looking for are opponents who

A. I am likely to beat - I want 8-10 wins. If I am in anotherwise SIM conference maybe 6-8 would be okay.

B. Themselves will win a bunch of games

SO, I look for teams that will return lots of players - so I look at SRs and walkons - dont want too many

I look at teams that did well in current season

I look at teams that will play a bunch of SIMs

Within those factors, I adjust depending on how good my team is - I'll schedule tougher or easier - but I still want no matter what to find opponents who should win 18-20 games for their SOS and RPI
2/14/2017 4:55 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 2/14/2017 4:55:00 PM (view original):
I think it is a mistake to focus primarily on current season RPI. What I am looking for are opponents who

A. I am likely to beat - I want 8-10 wins. If I am in anotherwise SIM conference maybe 6-8 would be okay.

B. Themselves will win a bunch of games

SO, I look for teams that will return lots of players - so I look at SRs and walkons - dont want too many

I look at teams that did well in current season

I look at teams that will play a bunch of SIMs

Within those factors, I adjust depending on how good my team is - I'll schedule tougher or easier - but I still want no matter what to find opponents who should win 18-20 games for their SOS and RPI
I don't look at Rpi when I am scheduling during my technique. I schedule conferences lower than my conference (strength) when I need wins. When I am out of the rebuild I focus on building home court and scheduling harder teams.
2/14/2017 5:07 PM
I think scheduling is underrated. I talked about it in a nice friendly thread a little while back

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=498774&threadID=11099920#l_11099920

But here's what I do. I call it Benis's 3 step guide to artificially inflating your RPI in 10 minutes (for D3)

1. At start of CT, go to the top RPI list and start looking at SIMs around 100 RPI.
2. Pick teams that will lose zero players.
3. Schedule away games.

That's all I do and it literally takes me 10 minutes or less. I'm sure there are better ways to schedule out there but I'm a bit lazy. Here is the SOS rank for Chestnut last few seasons - 6, 3, 20, 13, 1, 6, 29, 12, 9. And CNU - 4, 7, 1, 5, 9, 42 (puke), 6, 2, 3.
2/14/2017 7:10 PM (edited)
Posted by Benis on 2/14/2017 6:59:00 PM (view original):
I think scheduling is underrated. I talked about it in a nice friendly thread a little while back

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=498774&threadID=11099920#l_11099920

But here's what I do. I call it Benis's 3 step guide to artificially inflating your RPI in 10 minutes

1. At start of CT, go to the top RPI list and start looking at SIMs around 100 RPI.
2. Pick teams that will lose zero players.
3. Schedule away games.

That's all I do and it literally takes me 10 minutes or less. I'm sure there are better ways to schedule out there but I'm a bit lazy. Here is the SOS rank for Chestnut last few seasons - 6, 3, 20, 13, 1, 6, 29, 12, 9. And CNU - 4, 7, 1, 5, 9, 42 (puke), 6, 2, 3.
That "puke is way better than my best 1!
2/14/2017 7:04 PM
You also want to lean a little towards road games. Road wins get you more credit than comparable home wins. Road games have a little higher risk, all things being equal, but they are good for RPI
2/14/2017 7:08 PM
12 Next ▸
Non-con scheduling Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.