https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=5512

Another issue that was promised to get fixed since Seble left but with no actions.

I have run Uptempo the entire season this far and am still Neutral on the preference. Submitted another ticket where I am sure I will get a "we are looking into it" response.
2/15/2017 6:49 AM
Thought prefs weren't updated until about 10 games? Or am I misremembering?
2/15/2017 7:22 AM
And I dunno about the rest of you but very few players seem to like up tempo.

Out of about 250 players in my pool only 4 want uptempo.
2/15/2017 7:59 AM
So you're averaging 66 possessions per game. Teams running slowdown against you hurts there.

My NMSU team is avg 70 poss per game and is only neutral too. My FB CNU team is usually about 80 possessions per game and that is considered Good. I had a high of 84 possessions a few seasons ago but unfortunately, I don't remember if they were good or VG.
2/15/2017 8:09 AM
"So you're averaging 66 possessions per game. Teams running slowdown against you hurts there."

And THERE is the retarded feature that is broken. Tempo is an offensive feature that should not be impacted by what the opponent does. The only thing the preference should be looking at is the tempo you start the game at. But that makes too much sense.

Preferences are updated already in Smith (game 7)
2/15/2017 8:41 AM
Posted by Benis on 2/15/2017 7:22:00 AM (view original):
Thought prefs weren't updated until about 10 games? Or am I misremembering?
No, I noticed it after my 3rd game.
2/15/2017 8:42 AM
Its not the end of the world but it IS another example of something CS said they would fix that has not been addressed.
2/15/2017 8:42 AM
Posted by mullycj on 2/15/2017 8:41:00 AM (view original):
"So you're averaging 66 possessions per game. Teams running slowdown against you hurts there."

And THERE is the retarded feature that is broken. Tempo is an offensive feature that should not be impacted by what the opponent does. The only thing the preference should be looking at is the tempo you start the game at. But that makes too much sense.

Preferences are updated already in Smith (game 7)
Agreed. I suggested this a couple times before. It should just be based upon how many times you set your tempo to whatever setting. And the auto adjust at halftime. Could be a very simple formula.
2/15/2017 8:44 AM
It should definitely not be so simple as how often you set your tempo to uptempo. If I am the game developer, no way do I want to incentivize coaches to game the system to exploit a simple criteria for recruit's preferences. Recruiting with preferences should be about finding the recruits that are good matches for your system, not gaming a simple system to get the recruits you want.

It is reasonable to say a team shouldn't be penalized by the opponents decisions. A good compromise here would be to tweak the formula, whatever it is, to account for the opponent's tempo. If the baseline for very good is 80 possessions per game, if the formula can be adjusted down to say 70 for when the opponent chooses slowdown, and 85 when the opponent chooses uptempo. So X(.875) for opponent slowdown games, X(1.06) for opponent uptempo games. That keeps the principle in place, that a recruit is looking to play on a team built to go uptempo, as part of its overall team philosophy.
2/15/2017 12:05 PM
We are currently testing a change in which the tempo preference will now look at the average tempo that you have set to use throughout the season, similar to how the offense and defense preferences currently work.

We also are changing the Paint offense and Perimeter offense preferences to be much more intelligent.
2/15/2017 12:13 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 2/15/2017 12:06:00 PM (view original):
It should definitely not be so simple as how often you set your tempo to uptempo. If I am the game developer, no way do I want to incentivize coaches to game the system to exploit a simple criteria for recruit's preferences. Recruiting with preferences should be about finding the recruits that are good matches for your system, not gaming a simple system to get the recruits you want.

It is reasonable to say a team shouldn't be penalized by the opponents decisions. A good compromise here would be to tweak the formula, whatever it is, to account for the opponent's tempo. If the baseline for very good is 80 possessions per game, if the formula can be adjusted down to say 70 for when the opponent chooses slowdown, and 85 when the opponent chooses uptempo. So X(.875) for opponent slowdown games, X(1.06) for opponent uptempo games. That keeps the principle in place, that a recruit is looking to play on a team built to go uptempo, as part of its overall team philosophy.
I'm not sure I understand the difference between my suggestion and yours. Or why it shouldn't be simple.

if a preference is perimeter scoring, take a lot of 3s. If the preference is paint scoring, don't take a lot of 3s. If the preference is fast faced, play up tempo.

how are any of these different? There isn't any gaming of the system. Why make it more complicated than it has to be within the system when your own personal actions of what tempo to play are exactly the same.
2/15/2017 12:18 PM
Posted by cwisniewski on 2/15/2017 12:13:00 PM (view original):
We are currently testing a change in which the tempo preference will now look at the average tempo that you have set to use throughout the season, similar to how the offense and defense preferences currently work.

We also are changing the Paint offense and Perimeter offense preferences to be much more intelligent.
Nice! Perfect.
2/15/2017 12:19 PM
I have never understood how their is a fast tempo preference but nothing that counters that...how is their not a slow tempo preference? You are basically penalizing people because they don't like to run uptempo every game. That doesn't make any sense. I'm sure their are players that don't want to play fast.

Not that I ever see many recruits with the fast tempo preference, but still
2/15/2017 12:21 PM
Posted by skinzfan36 on 2/15/2017 12:21:00 PM (view original):
I have never understood how their is a fast tempo preference but nothing that counters that...how is their not a slow tempo preference? You are basically penalizing people because they don't like to run uptempo every game. That doesn't make any sense. I'm sure their are players that don't want to play fast.

Not that I ever see many recruits with the fast tempo preference, but still
I'd swap out fast tempo with high scoring so there is a (somewhat) counter to strong defense. If you're high scoring and have a great defense, then good for you, you have a great team and get two preferences.

Also, a high scoring preference would remove the gaming aspect that pk mentioned, if there is one.
2/15/2017 12:25 PM
The ability to "adjust" what preferences you have by playing up/normal/slow almost feels like tanking in HBD. With how HD works, you expect to lose until you get "your" players, anything gimmicky to adjust how recruits see you feels wrong. Just flinging up threes when you have no one who can hit 20% of them, is a game flaw. Playing uptempo, when all your players will be gassed with 10 minutes left, is a game flaw.

Or maybe I'm just ****** I didn't think of it 2 seasons ago.

Either way, it is "gaming the system".
2/15/2017 12:40 PM
123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.