Theme League Ideas Topic

I have a few ideas for Theme Leagues so I want to gauge interest.

Idea #1 is a theme league of theme leagues. Each participant would have to have a theme for their team, but you decide what that theme is. Each player gets to pick his own them, whatever it may be.

Idea #2 is my pick of years as my favorite which would be 1968-1993. the golden 25 years as far as I'm concerned.

Idea #3 is a tough guy league where each player has to have a minimum of 2.5 penalty minutes per game. 2.5 pmg is the 200pim season. Ive seen 2pmg themes but 2.5 really gets us into the goonish category.

let me know what you think, what we could tweak or if all of these suck.
2/15/2017 10:00 PM
Posted by lucko on 2/15/2017 10:01:00 PM (view original):
I have a few ideas for Theme Leagues so I want to gauge interest.

Idea #1 is a theme league of theme leagues. Each participant would have to have a theme for their team, but you decide what that theme is. Each player gets to pick his own them, whatever it may be.

Idea #2 is my pick of years as my favorite which would be 1968-1993. the golden 25 years as far as I'm concerned.

Idea #3 is a tough guy league where each player has to have a minimum of 2.5 penalty minutes per game. 2.5 pmg is the 200pim season. Ive seen 2pmg themes but 2.5 really gets us into the goonish category.

let me know what you think, what we could tweak or if all of these suck.
The tough guy league won't work. It is very hard to draft a Defence with that pre requisite.. and everyone would have Chelios, Stevens, Dupont, Daneyko, and Magnuson.. I mean 4 of those guys on every team.

There already is a tough guy league that has been stuck for a month at 12 in.

Here's what you do. 2 pim per game for 8 forwards. 1.5 pim per game for 4 Defencemen. Most will draft a pair like Bossy and for me, Mahovlich.. another center like the D 89 Gilmour, and a Finnigan.. and that's workable. So unless it will be like Cheap Vaive, Secord, Boutette, I don't see it working. Then, you'd want to cap it at maybe $75 million
2/16/2017 8:28 AM (edited)
Almost every player I draft is from 1970 to 90. Later for D men
2/16/2017 8:30 AM
2/16/2017 10:25 AM
i see that now with the tough guy league, your right lostnfound74.
2/16/2017 3:12 PM
#1 as well
2/16/2017 5:54 PM
1 for me
2/18/2017 9:54 PM
How about: Pick 3 letters. 18 skaters must have their first or last name start with one of the letters. Then make the goalies have to have the same last name, or same first name. Eg: Martin and Richard Brodeur. or.. Glenn Hall and Glen Hanlon. Allow 3 skaters to be any letter, but with a $3 million Cap, so guys can take Finnigan and someone like Gizzy Hart for checkers..
2/20/2017 12:35 AM
Posted by BlueBladeAce on 2/20/2017 12:35:00 AM (view original):
How about: Pick 3 letters. 18 skaters must have their first or last name start with one of the letters. Then make the goalies have to have the same last name, or same first name. Eg: Martin and Richard Brodeur. or.. Glenn Hall and Glen Hanlon. Allow 3 skaters to be any letter, but with a $3 million Cap, so guys can take Finnigan and someone like Gizzy Hart for checkers..
You are on to something here. What about a league where every team has to have the same first name. Of course you would have to blacklist a couple names like Bobby or limit certain names to decades.
3/6/2017 5:34 PM
I'd like to see a franchise SYN league with no WW but a $25 mil cap with 75% min gp for forwards and defence. Once you got your team made for you, each owner could replace up to 5 players to bring their cap up to $50mil.
3/6/2017 5:42 PM
Posted by lampliter on 3/6/2017 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by BlueBladeAce on 2/20/2017 12:35:00 AM (view original):
You are on to something here. What about a league where every team has to have the same first name. Of course you would have to blacklist a couple names like Bobby or limit certain names to decades.
? Team names are a p.i.t.a. I'm working on something right now. I like variety among competing teams. For eg the 38 + 92 D 38 Gretzky with 15% never shows up.. HUGE assister, with about 220 shots. He is about $3.8 million. D rate is over 35 too, if I remember right. I will B/L the ones over 8m. Big Mario..

..and can make a rule allowing only 6 maybe 7 forwards over D rate 40. Also B/L wingers over D 80 and over 20% so we still see Kurri, but not Bossy (He is a p.o.s. anyhow) I might limit the Defence to 78. Maybe make a rule that only 4 can be over 69. Can restrict wingers over 80 to $5 million so you get checkers if you want them

So there are options in that kind of a draft and I think most of the guys are looking for that, with a cap between $90 and $120 million

Biggest challenge I find in making a league is to think in terms of what the customer (that's you) wants, and my 'customers' are paying $10 a pop to a team.

Don't like the WW unless there are no restrictions, because it always gets messed up. Guys just forget. Only guy I know who never misses a beat with that is Scott (SAKABERG or something like that) Amazing guy. I call him Hawkeye. Anyone seen him lately????

I hate the trades thing because of that annoying blinking grey light that just refuses to shut up. Yeah, selfish, I know that. I wonder how many others also hate that thing

3/8/2017 4:49 AM (edited)
Posted by lampliter on 3/6/2017 5:42:00 PM (view original):
I'd like to see a franchise SYN league with no WW but a $25 mil cap with 75% min gp for forwards and defence. Once you got your team made for you, each owner could replace up to 5 players to bring their cap up to $50mil.
Fun thing, but a huge race for the WW. It reloads at 4 a.m. PST and I just am not up to losing sleep in a league. It's a tough one to manage as a commish too. Chuck ran one like that about 2 years ago. Fun thing. I would limit the cap to $30m and guys would draft 5-6 keepers and then the trash. Then bump the cap to $90 million. Make a rule that only 5 of the starting players can be over say 800g. Talk to him about it, because he knows the long and short of that kind of thing.
3/8/2017 5:05 AM
My All-Star Game and Minor League Hockey theme leagues never got off the ground. Thought they would be good ideas...
3/9/2017 1:10 PM
Theme League Ideas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.