$120M Choose Your Own Theme XX (waitlisting) Topic

We are back for the 20th season of this theme-themed theme.

Sometimes, themes out there can be overly restrictive, complicated, or just not interesting. Or sometimes you get an idea for a theme, but you know it would be nearly impossible or simply too boring to fill an entire league around that one theme idea. In this league, you get to avoid all those problems because you're the one choosing your theme, and no one else can use it.

Build a team entirely of guys named Dick, an all-franchise squad, (almost) anything you want. If you want to pick a theme that uses some randomized variables, I'll be happy to do the randomization for you to get started.

League # sitemailed after signing up your theme

$120M Cap
No AAA
No DH
No Waiver Wire
No trades
No clones (unless your theme specifically involves clones)
Injuries on
Standard 24-team schedule
Any stadium

Additional rules:

Themes must affect all 25 players on your roster. No offense-only or pitching-only themes.
No stat-restriction themes will be allowed. So nothing like "All my hitters will hit over .330 and my pitchers will have OAVs under .200". Your team should have an actual theme and not just stat restrictions.

Describe your theme details when signing up so I can Ok it and verify rosters more easily...I'll reserve the right to deny a theme if it offers virtually no restrictions at all (For example: "My team will not have any players named Zeke" is not a reasonable theme).

Please try to choose a team name that somehow identifies your theme.

Feel free to get creative or crazy. Have some fun and good luck to all who play...

Wall of Champions
I - Pfattkatt (Triples Theme)
II - Pfattkatt (Deadball Players Theme) 2-time champ
III - Skunk206 (All names had Mc, O', or -son)
IV - Skunk206 (All players shared a last name with a HOFer from another sport)
V - thurst63 (All hitters had fewer than 10 HR, all pitchers allowed fewer than 10 HR)
VI - josiah31 (All left-handed players)
VII - alleyviper (All players are former MVPs, Cy Youngs, RotYs and Rolaids Relief winners)
VIII - Skunk206 (All players cloned except the 25th man - "Walternates")
IX - uncleal (All players from seasons ending in 8)
X - dweigel (All players played their entire career for one franchise)
XI - Skunk206 (All players from Chicago franchises)
XII - alston (Franchise soup)
XIII - jbar8888 (All batter first names and pitcher last names start with J, B, A, or R)
XIV - finn2030 (All players were 6'1" per bb-r.com)
XV - ozomatli (All players from cities where ozomatli has lived (New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Los Angeles)
XVI - ozomatli (All players must have a last name that begins with a letter in his first name (Michael))
XVII - ozomatli (All players played for 4 or more franchises in their career)
XVIII - 2chair (All players born, died, or buried in Missouri or Ohio)
XIX - ozomatli (All players were traded mid-season, twisted to any year of their career) 4-time champ
XX - Skunk206 (All players had a first or last name not shared by anyone else in MLB history) 5-time champ

TOC Champs
Season IV - Skunk206
Season XIII - jbar8888
5/4/2017 11:47 AM (edited)
Owners and their themes
Bold = team is entered and Ok, * = league number has been sent

*1. Skunk206 - All players have a first or last name that is unique in baseball history, per bb-r.com
*2. flakfizer - All players are identified in the WIS database by a nickname other than their given name
*3. sohio4ever - All players drafted/signed directly from a high school east of the Mississippi River
*4. alston - All players attended college before playing MLB
*5. ozomatli - "I'm Good, Thanks" - All players only have WIS-eligible seasons from a single franchise
*6. 2chair - All players born in January
*7. clocktower - All players from the Cubs franchise
*8. burningcouch - "Feel the Bern" - One player from each of the 22 states Bernie Sanders won in the Dem primaries, and 3 Bernies
*9. zorse - All players from seasons they played in California
*10. cdhaynes00 - All black players
*11. TBill7 - "Good Management" - All players must come from a team that was managed by a 2014 HOF manager (Cox, LaRussa or Torre)
*12. islanders44 - All players from the Cardinals
*13. schwarze - "Tim Raines Era" - one version of Tim Raines and the other 24 players will consist of one player from each year of Raines' career;1979 thru 2002
*14. cal8ss - All players and stadium from the 1930's
*15. doctorcc - Wu Theme - All player initials must be some combo of C,R,E,A,M and team must play in Brooklyn
*16. d_rock97 - All Astros twisted to seasons they did not play for the Astros
*17. hogger0223 - All players from Pennsylvania franchises
*18. Chisock - April Fool's - All players born in April
*19. GuerillaZen1 - All players from 1990-2016
*20. redcped - All Jewish ballplayers per baseball-almanac.com's list
*21. dweigel - "I've Been Everywhere, Man" - Twisted teammates of LaTroy Hawkins (20 MLB seasons with 10+ teams)
*22. rufus4ever - All players have 5 or fewer WIS-eligible full seasons
*23. tycho88 - All players born in Maryland
*24. bheid408 - Using 12 randomly assigned seasons, one player is selected from each season and then cloned once more. Last roster spot is a player from 1885-1900. 12 random seasons were:
  1. 1978
  2. 1959
  3. 1931
  4. 1960
  5. 2000
  6. 1994
  7. 1964
  8. 1985
  9. 1908
  10. 1992
  11. 1901
  12. 1988
2/27/2017 2:53 PM (edited)
As customary, I'll post my roster for verification and transparency:
The name in bold is unique in baseball history. No other player shares that first or last name.

Tris(tram) Speaker
Jim Bottomley
Chase Utley
Ken Caminiti
Lance Berkman
Tim McCarver
Joe Medwick
Honus Wagner
Kitty Bransfield
Greg Colbrunn
Jimmie Foxx
Tim Talton
Chick Tolson
Henry Urrutia
Christy Mathewson
Don Drysdale
Harry Brecheen
Jeff Heathcock
Clayton Kershaw
Zane Smith
Jason Motte
Jonathan Papelbon
Bobby Tiefenauer
Karl Best
Keith Foulke
2/16/2017 10:53 PM (edited)
I will try I'm Good, Thanks - All players only have WIS-eligible seasons from a single franchise.
2/16/2017 11:19 PM
I toyed with a single-franchise theme using bb-r.com before settling on unique names.
2/16/2017 11:27 PM
Let's try a "good management" team. All players and ballpark must come from a team that was managed that season by a 2014 HOF manager (Cox, LaRussa or Torre)
2/17/2017 9:36 AM (edited)
Sounds good
2/17/2017 9:34 AM
I will try one. How about all Cardinal players
2/17/2017 9:58 AM
Ok
2/17/2017 10:43 AM
"Honoring The Tim Raines Era"

Tim Raines played in the major leagues from 1979 thru 2002. My roster will consist of one version of Tim Raines (any year) and the other 24 roster slots will consist of one player from each year, 1979 thru 2002.
2/17/2017 3:24 PM
I will go with the Gas House Gang Era, all my players and ballpark will be from the 1930's
2/17/2017 5:14 PM
Would like to switch from Yanks to Cubs, if that's OK...
2/17/2017 6:02 PM
Mine is going to be all players born in a particular month. I have not decided on a month yet.
2/17/2017 6:35 PM
Posted by clocktower on 2/17/2017 6:02:00 PM (view original):
Would like to switch from Yanks to Cubs, if that's OK...
I'll change it
2/17/2017 11:52 PM
Wu-Theme. Player initials must be some combination of C, R, E, A, M. Team must play in Brooklyn (birthplace of GZA, RZA, ODB.)
2/18/2017 4:12 AM
123 Next ▸
$120M Choose Your Own Theme XX (waitlisting) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.