What is the reasoning... Topic

Posted by favre3xmvp on 2/17/2017 6:25:00 AM (view original):
The current format is not a battle, it is a lottery. Coaches have to determine which lotto games they will enter. You can't win if you don't play, right? They may be able to increase their odds of winning that lottery as they buy more tickets for it, but at the end of the day it comes down to the big draw or scratch off ticket.
I think that is a misleading assessment. It's not quite that easy.

The game is not a lottery or a coin flip, which are both random decisions. Recruiting ultimately is decided by a "roll of dice" in which each owner can actively, and intelligently, affect the percentage chance of winning.

2/17/2017 1:59 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/17/2017 1:59:00 PM (view original):
The current format is not a battle, it is a lottery. Coaches have to determine which lotto games they will enter. You can't win if you don't play, right? They may be able to increase their odds of winning that lottery as they buy more tickets for it, but at the end of the day it comes down to the big draw or scratch off ticket.

The game is not a lottery or a coin flip, which are both random decisions. Recruiting ultimately is decided by a "roll of dice" in which each owner can actively, and intelligently, affect the percentage chance of winning.

I think you're both correct. Lottery as in the NBA lottery with ping pong balls.
2/17/2017 2:17 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/17/2017 1:59:00 PM (view original):

I would like to add there is a treshold for signing which I think it maybe 60%.
2/17/2017 2:20 PM
Not the same thing. You can actively improve, or try to, your chances up to the very end of recruiting. Your ping pong balls are set months in advance.
2/17/2017 2:20 PM
Posted by mdodge13 on 2/17/2017 10:59:00 AM (view original):
I haven't come back to HD since the update and have never played it but Im reserving a team and reading up on 3.0. Isn't it fair to say that real world recruiting is a "dice roll" at some point? Not trying to play devil's advocate here but just saying that I've seen posts before where people have complained about how realistic these games are (or aren't). I guess I'll find out for myself when I come back. I really enjoyed HD but was never any good. Also not to piggyback on this post (A site mail would be cool) Would someone mind letting me know the GOOD changes that have been made? All I've sen are complaints. Cheers.
You have more than 36 hours to scout

The recruiting window has been changed from 3 hours to 6 hours, so you do not have to check back as often.

A number of preferences have been added for recruits, which makes it more difficult to figure out the math to determine who will win. The randomness adds to that uncertainty meaning that lower level teams have an outside shot at landing an occasional blue chip recruit

Coaches can't easily see who you are recruiting so that if you are in a couple of battles they can pounce on your other recruits.

Conference bonus cash no longer exists meaning that if you are in a full conference that is successful you no longer have $20,000 to $40,000 more to spend than a team in a not so full conference. However, it is still beneficial to be in a successful conference for recruits who have conference success as a preference.

There is a maximum of 20 HVs per recruit and 1 SV. So at signing, a team cannot be totally overpowered by a team using 125 HVs in one cycle. Teams can still go all in with 20 HVs and a CV at signing though, so it is good to anticipate that as a possibility.

Using all of your attention points on a single prospect can help you overcome a prestige disadvantage.

Long distance recruiting is possible, especially for a prospect that wants to play far from home.

A guaranteed start is extremely meaningful, as is playing time, especially for a prospect with wants to play as a preference.

If you have one opening, you can still compete against a team with 6 openings for a recruit, because each team starts with a base amount of dollars, and in D1 that $5,000 base plus the $3000 for one recruit means you can do 20 HVs and a CV on a single prospect, which is the same maximum that a team with 6 recruits has.

There is much more competition for recruits than in 2.0

Things that still need to be fixed, in my opinion, are the second session of recruiting, because it is often very tough to offer a scholarship before the player signs with another team. In the second session, it's extremely hard for a new coach to land good players because they are pretty much starting from scratch. Some say the random element of signing needs to be fixed. I am kind of neutral on that. Maybe the randomness needs to be toned down a little bit.

All in all though, I like this version better than the previous one.
2/17/2017 5:11 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/17/2017 6:03:00 AM (view original):
Because "I've got the most resources, he's mine" is boring.
Unless someone disagrees with this, I think we're all pretty much on the same team. I'm just here trying to procrastinate at work too guys, but there's gotta be a better way to waste time than argue about something we (for the most part) agree about.
2/17/2017 3:22 PM

"I'm just here trying to procrastinate at work too guys"

Reading and writing about this silly game is better than discussing Politics or who's going to win the next Super Bowl. But it sure helps pass the time when we need that escape.
2/17/2017 3:32 PM
Posted by mbriese on 2/17/2017 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/17/2017 6:03:00 AM (view original):
Because "I've got the most resources, he's mine" is boring.
Unless someone disagrees with this, I think we're all pretty much on the same team. I'm just here trying to procrastinate at work too guys, but there's gotta be a better way to waste time than argue about something we (for the most part) agree about.
Trust me, if everyone felt the same, there would be no bickering. Everyone who wants to go back to 2.0 wants to go back to the days of planting a flag and staking a claim on a player.
2/17/2017 3:40 PM
True. And to enter in the good one is a must or to run away with it is sometimes possible... And if you lose the lottery, two years lost, it happened to me at Clemson and I am still playing my bad 60ath pf I took to rebond off the bench. And D3 is a last day signing frenzy.. a mess
2/17/2017 8:05 PM
Posted by mullycj on 2/17/2017 9:01:00 AM (view original):
jt - Mike is a blowhard that likes to talk **** but knows nothing about current top DI recruiting.

To answer your question. No - many of the coaches are NOT being greedy. They are recruiting wisely and maybe going for 1-2 studs and then some backups. But in the new RNG world of HD, you can wind up on the losing end of battles you were favored to win. When that happens, the current game forces them to take on multiple walkons.

The morons who say "why don't you have a back up plan" don't realize that spreading yourself too thin with multiple backup plans almost ensures you actually lose the battles you thought you could win.
Right on. Sometimes it needs 80 ap... from the get-go to be in the battle.
2/17/2017 8:07 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 2/17/2017 9:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/17/2017 6:02:00 AM (view original):
to promote battling for recruits
I didn't really see this as being a priority, I'm guessing this was just seble's personal preference?

And nothing wrong with battling for recruits, they just need to fix in how they go about it. In real life, an A+ prestige team like Kentucky can go after 5 recruits with 3 openings. I don't think the 2 backup recruits are going to say "screw Kentucky because they recruited me a bit late, I'm going to go play at Fordham". Unfortunately, that's how 3.0 works. Maybe we need to get rid of the attention points altogether.

Not just Fordham but Allegheny D3 too.
2/17/2017 8:09 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 2/17/2017 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mdodge13 on 2/17/2017 10:59:00 AM (view original):
I haven't come back to HD since the update and have never played it but Im reserving a team and reading up on 3.0. Isn't it fair to say that real world recruiting is a "dice roll" at some point? Not trying to play devil's advocate here but just saying that I've seen posts before where people have complained about how realistic these games are (or aren't). I guess I'll find out for myself when I come back. I really enjoyed HD but was never any good. Also not to piggyback on this post (A site mail would be cool) Would someone mind letting me know the GOOD changes that have been made? All I've sen are complaints. Cheers.
You have more than 36 hours to scout

The recruiting window has been changed from 3 hours to 6 hours, so you do not have to check back as often.

A number of preferences have been added for recruits, which makes it more difficult to figure out the math to determine who will win. The randomness adds to that uncertainty meaning that lower level teams have an outside shot at landing an occasional blue chip recruit

Coaches can't easily see who you are recruiting so that if you are in a couple of battles they can pounce on your other recruits.

Conference bonus cash no longer exists meaning that if you are in a full conference that is successful you no longer have $20,000 to $40,000 more to spend than a team in a not so full conference. However, it is still beneficial to be in a successful conference for recruits who have conference success as a preference.

There is a maximum of 20 HVs per recruit and 1 SV. So at signing, a team cannot be totally overpowered by a team using 125 HVs in one cycle. Teams can still go all in with 20 HVs and a CV at signing though, so it is good to anticipate that as a possibility.

Using all of your attention points on a single prospect can help you overcome a prestige disadvantage.

Long distance recruiting is possible, especially for a prospect that wants to play far from home.

A guaranteed start is extremely meaningful, as is playing time, especially for a prospect with wants to play as a preference.

If you have one opening, you can still compete against a team with 6 openings for a recruit, because each team starts with a base amount of dollars, and in D1 that $5,000 base plus the $3000 for one recruit means you can do 20 HVs and a CV on a single prospect, which is the same maximum that a team with 6 recruits has.

There is much more competition for recruits than in 2.0

Things that still need to be fixed, in my opinion, are the second session of recruiting, because it is often very tough to offer a scholarship before the player signs with another team. In the second session, it's extremely hard for a new coach to land good players because they are pretty much starting from scratch. Some say the random element of signing needs to be fixed. I am kind of neutral on that. Maybe the randomness needs to be toned down a little bit.

All in all though, I like this version better than the previous one.
1 opening 40 ap won't compete against 80 ap Chapel... If he goes to a back-up 30-10, he is done.
2/17/2017 8:15 PM
◂ Prev 1234
What is the reasoning... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.