The Coffee and Chronic Hour with Chrondon84 Topic

Posted by jibe717 on 2/19/2017 2:33:00 PM (view original):
chrondon, I see you were fired after 5 seasons at Oregon State. You in no way should have been imo. But how about some thoughts on a future show on the hiring and firing process in this game and maybe specifficaly your recent firing?
It might make one of the next few shows. If I can fit it in the next I will.

The topic is one that deserves more time to discuss, for sure.
2/19/2017 5:11 PM
Interesting program and take on things Joe, I finally made it through every segment. Since you are big on scheduling I will comment on that topic. My strategy (and my advice to all who ask), is to schedule lite for non-con games if you are in a very tough conference and schedule heavy in non-con if you are in a weak conference. I use an imaginary sliding scale when scheduling with this in mind and I shoot for a top 10 SOS for all of my established teams, lower for a team that I'm building. If my team is hovering in the top 5 SOS then I did great! And if cycling between #1 and #2 then I scheduled perfectly. I do this when in D1A whether I'm at an elite school or a non-elite, my goal is to always give my team a chance at a championship. If I'm at an established elite school I don't turn down a request for a game unless I have more requests than open games, or if I have promised someone a game that has not sent a request yet. As soon as I have all of the human coaches on my schedule that I need for that season I fill in the other slots with the best sim coached teams that I can find. I believe that when you get a request to play you should decide as soon as possible if you want that game, and if you are going to decline then do so right away so that the other coach can look for another team to play. As far as non-elites playing elites, if it fits into the above strategy then play them! When I was coaching at Navy and in one of the weakest conferences I couldn't play enough elites. Even if I played an elite school for every non-con I still couldn't get my SOS high enough to play for a Championship because I had teams that were 0-12 on my conference schedule. That was the main reason that I put in for a job at Florida State, in fact, I really did not want to leave my Navy team. But I wasn't satisfied with just having a great team at Navy, I wanted to have the opportunity to have the best team in that world!

I use the above method for scheduling at every level and in every world (Unless I lose track of what I'm doing which happens a lot with this old man), the only time I schedule all sims is when I first take over a dead team and need to get my recruiting vision up. Why even play the game if you are not going to compete? Don't go crazy and schedule all games that you probably will not win, but get out there and be competitive to see how you match up against other coaches and to see how you are progressing as a coach yourself. I have defeated elite schools while still in a rebuild, it doesn't happen very often but it is exhilarating when it does and you can't have that kind of a triumphant feeling if you never play them.

I have sensitive ears and the language is a little offensive but nothing that this sailor has not heard before, I just don't enjoy listening to that kind of talk. But otherwise, it is good to hear someone voice honest opinions and to delve into tricky topics. I can see that you are heading towards talking about the deeper subjects on game theory and various winning philosophies and strategies which should be interesting. Thanks for donating the time and research into an effort to improve the game and the experience that the rest of us have in playing it.
2/19/2017 6:30 PM
Great post Pete !
2/19/2017 6:34 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Sorry Pete. I know I cuss a lot. I try to keep it down.

Sometimes I get comfortable and the bad words come out.
2/19/2017 10:11 PM
Posted by chrondon84 on 2/19/2017 10:11:00 PM (view original):
Sorry Pete. I know I cuss a lot. I try to keep it down.

Sometimes I get comfortable and the bad words come out.
I fully understand, and getting comfortable is part of the show and what makes it fun. Didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or mess with your vibe, I was just making personal observations about my experience.
2/19/2017 10:20 PM
No its fine. I dont want to make anyone uncomfortable with language. If it takes away enjoyment and does not add to the show, I will try to fix it.

Trying to find a balance right now and get better. I have no experience.

I do listen to Colin Cowherd a lot as a guide. I really enjoy his style and his old show.
2/19/2017 10:31 PM
Ha ha, okay...I guess lol
2/19/2017 10:37 PM
Tomorrow morning episode 3 will be published. It will be a big show. Lots to cover in a short amount of time!

Episode 4 is already in the works.

Hope you all enjoy episode 2. I thought it was a lot better than my first go around.

Thanks for the comments and discussions!
2/19/2017 10:53 PM
Just one more thing that's wrong with this game, the emoticons look really stupid now. The looks like a handshake. The cool looks more like a nerd. This looks like a shark.
2/20/2017 11:03 AM
i think the cool emoticon was made to look like a nerd to make some of us nerds feel comfortable
2/20/2017 1:30 PM
---------------------------------------------------------

https://www.spreaker.com/show/2173663

---------------------------------------------------------

Episode 3 is up now. Only part 1. I'm on the road. I'll publish part 2 and 3 when I get home.

----------------------------------------------------------
2/20/2017 7:14 PM
Chron i have been listening to your podcasts and buddy you are bringing it. You got me when you mentioned EA FIFA, that used to be my jam but i am now out of practice and working on FIFA 17 and trying to get back into it. Keep up the great work man.
2/20/2017 8:33 PM
Parts 2 and 3 are up and ready to listen to. Sorry for the delays!

I hope you all enjoy.
2/20/2017 11:50 PM
Big thanks to all of the coaches that helped me out with the questions that I sent. I got well over 20 replies.

I tried to reach out to thank you all individually but then they started pouring in fast and I couldn't keep up.
2/20/2017 11:54 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
The Coffee and Chronic Hour with Chrondon84 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.