Recruiting a Returner Topic

Just wanted to check with the community if anyone else has tried this as an actual strategic plan? I'm testing it this season in Yost in D3 with my Rhodes team. Pretty cool. Any of the more successful coaches seriously entertained this option? I know the roster spot is precious but maybe it can be a high growth guy (The case with my returner at Rhodes) and he can have an immediate impact returning while working on his positional ratings.

Cheers
2/17/2017 3:10 PM
It's hard for me to imagine an excellent returner who isn't also excellent in the key stats for his natural position (WR, RB, maybe DB). What kind of guy are you looking at who you expect to be great as a returner and not another position?
2/17/2017 3:21 PM
Well I tried to link his info but cant figure it out right now. Robert Hall, Freshman DB on my Rhodes team.

He's a really bad DB. 35 Role Rating and bottom of my Depth Chart. However on the flip side, as a freshman with minimal Special Teams IQ has returned two Kicks for TDs and is rated at 59 for returner which at D3 imo is pretty damn cool. I don't know I just thought the idea is cool but like I said the roster spot is precious. Interested in what others think.
2/17/2017 3:27 PM
I would guess that that particular type of player is rare.

To be on the bottom of the depth chart at his position but to be the best returner.
2/17/2017 3:38 PM
dodge, I've always been more interested in the roster spot. Your highest rated WR/RB/DB at their normal position make great returners. IMO the special teams IQ means a lot.

My problem (if you can call it that) with your approach is that this guy will NEVER be a stud DB. So he will take up that spot for 4 years and no payback. Is it worth the potential of a KOR TD vs giving up big plays all throughout the game on defense?

Everything in this game is a tradeoff and some things are fun to do...even if they might not "pay off" in the traditional sense.
2/17/2017 3:42 PM
I think ST FIQ plays a large role here. SPD/ELU and high FIQ seems to be the key.

nitros
2/17/2017 4:02 PM
I agree with Nitros. I usually use Senior or at least a super Junior because of Form IQ. Then Speed Elus and Str, Ath and Tech in those orders of importance.
2/17/2017 4:34 PM
Posted by mdodge13 on 2/17/2017 3:10:00 PM (view original):
Just wanted to check with the community if anyone else has tried this as an actual strategic plan? I'm testing it this season in Yost in D3 with my Rhodes team. Pretty cool. Any of the more successful coaches seriously entertained this option? I know the roster spot is precious but maybe it can be a high growth guy (The case with my returner at Rhodes) and he can have an immediate impact returning while working on his positional ratings.

Cheers
I do this. I never sacrifice to the expense of not having adequate depth at a position, but I've definitely targeted guys specifically because they were a dynamite returner with my calcs. Usually he'll need 2 seasons of FormIQ growth before deployed, but it's paid dividends in the past.
2/17/2017 5:28 PM
Toward the tail end of recruiting, if I still have a spot to fill I will look to see if there was a good returner who slipped through the cracks. Usually not.
2/17/2017 6:23 PM
What would be the difference between a good returner as compared to a good RB ?
2/17/2017 6:31 PM
No difference. I don't recruit a returner. Instead I will use my best RB, DB or WR .
2/17/2017 7:22 PM
Posted by mojolad on 2/17/2017 7:22:00 PM (view original):
No difference. I don't recruit a returner. Instead I will use my best RB, DB or WR .
That was my thinking. Thought I would ask in case I was missing something.
2/17/2017 9:10 PM
Recruiting a Returner Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.