2/22/2017 10:38 AM
Won the NT

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=2749
2/22/2017 10:41 AM
Place of choice along with PBAU, Southern Cal unchallenged La Grange etc.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=12672
2/22/2017 10:44 AM
You won't see this in D2, we can compete from everywhere. There are some tough places, but you can basically do good anywhere.

Mfnmyers with his system has yet to win. He would be someone I'd like to hear about the new system.
2/22/2017 10:49 AM
Posted by zorzii on 2/22/2017 10:31:00 AM (view original):
I'd agree with you Mike if D3 was presented as a Learning ground and coaches had to move up after four seasons. But if they did this, WOW would lose money since some owners really like D3. Gamers found and will always find the weaknesses in a system. Gamers like Only, QB, Piman, to name a few, were already well aware of the importance of location before 3.0. They are not sentimental or anything, they want to win so they get to a place where they do not get any competition for D2 pulldowns in 2.0 and to get top D3 recruits easily... Now, they have more to work with, you give them D1 players where they are not challenged or they find a place where they are not challenged and put together teams that will discouraged any new owners... A guy Learning the game, pretty happy with his recruiting after 4 years will get destroyed by a 700 overall D3 (i saw one) team that is more like a D1 team... 12 players all good, all ready to destroy the fun of anybody. Location is more important in D3 than it was before, first because you can't scout as efficiently as before, second because you get D1 leftovers and distance is important, so if your state is almost empty, you get a lot of talent or a lot of expected talent... Third, it's tougher to recruit all over the country than it was in 2.0 because you haven't discovered all the players, you haven't scouted all the players away from campus etc.

If I was not seeing 650 to 700 overall teams, I'd say it's working as intented... It makes D3 really boring because it's a matter of location rather than skills and recruiting has become a waiting job til the last day...
"Fixing" D3 at the expense of D1 is not an answer. Combining D2 and D3, on the other hand, makes all those problems better, and doesn't touch D1.

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=500020&threadID=11130544#l_11130544
2/22/2017 10:50 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 2/22/2017 10:50:00 AM (view original):
I'd agree with you Mike if D3 was presented as a Learning ground and coaches had to move up after four seasons. But if they did this, WOW would lose money since some owners really like D3. Gamers found and will always find the weaknesses in a system. Gamers like Only, QB, Piman, to name a few, were already well aware of the importance of location before 3.0. They are not sentimental or anything, they want to win so they get to a place where they do not get any competition for D2 pulldowns in 2.0 and to get top D3 recruits easily... Now, they have more to work with, you give them D1 players where they are not challenged or they find a place where they are not challenged and put together teams that will discouraged any new owners... A guy Learning the game, pretty happy with his recruiting after 4 years will get destroyed by a 700 overall D3 (i saw one) team that is more like a D1 team... 12 players all good, all ready to destroy the fun of anybody. Location is more important in D3 than it was before, first because you can't scout as efficiently as before, second because you get D1 leftovers and distance is important, so if your state is almost empty, you get a lot of talent or a lot of expected talent... Third, it's tougher to recruit all over the country than it was in 2.0 because you haven't discovered all the players, you haven't scouted all the players away from campus etc.

If I was not seeing 650 to 700 overall teams, I'd say it's working as intented... It makes D3 really boring because it's a matter of location rather than skills and recruiting has become a waiting job til the last day...
"Fixing" D3 at the expense of D1 is not an answer. Combining D2 and D3, on the other hand, makes all those problems better, and doesn't touch D1.

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=500020&threadID=11130544#l_11130544
It's not at the expense of D1... It's for D3 to be a more leveled playing ground... more fair to everyone. But if they did merge D2 and D3, problem fixed.
2/22/2017 11:01 AM
I missed the part where you said you weren't really for eliminating HV caps.

I'm still ambivalent on restricting how high you can reach for a player. No one has convinced me it makes the game better. As long as there is a D3, and veteran coaches are allowed to park there, they are going to have significant advantages over new players. New players shouldn't expect to be able to compete for championships, anyway. What's the effect of getting blown out by 50 by piman or qbusf in the 1st round of the NT? You see a much better team, what championship level looks like in this division, and you set about trying to figure out ways to get that caliber of player. Any D3 can get D1 players for nothing more than APs, a big improvement over 2.0, where high prestige teams had access to much better players than new players. They just have to get smart about finding them. Yeah, there are geographic advantages, and as long as the recruiting process is resource based, those advantages are also going to exist. Mitigating that is going to take a whole lot more than capping levels.
2/22/2017 11:22 AM

Zorzi, location is actually not THAT big a deal. Want to beat PBAU? Scout Florida! It's an option and a totally doable option.

PBAU and Colorado have always been great spots. There are actually LESS great spots now because of the elimination of carry over.

I think the next "trick" people will pick up on is D1 internationals at D3. A lot of guys are doing it all ready.
2/22/2017 11:24 AM

I've gotta say, i've actually found location to be less important. Its annoying to be stuck in california when the cali D2 conference is stacked... but I dont exactly pick my recruits as being close to home. If they just got rid of the top 100 being automatically scouted then i would never pick my scouting based on being close to home at D3. I tend to win my recruits through APs, not visits. I tend to lose my recruits through D1 schools pouncing, which wont be solved by distance
2/22/2017 11:26 AM
Posted by zorzii on 2/22/2017 10:38:00 AM (view original):
He is peaking next season.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=14734
...dang.
2/22/2017 11:31 AM
Well, it's already been said but geographic advantage exist, they will continue to exist. N00bs shouldn't expect to win NT in their 2nd season, vets always have the advantage. N00bs can learn, getting crushed is the opportunity to see what that team has if you haven't already looked at top teams(which is common sense to me).

Finally, I think you are still applying your goals to everyone. I have no designs on winning a NT in D3. I'm playing against a bunch of guys I know from HBD. Beating them suits me just fine. If I get fortunate enough to reach a S16 or E8 along the way, fantastic. If not, I still beat, or got beat, by the users I like competing against.
2/22/2017 11:46 AM
I am sorry but location is more relevant. You can't scout a lot of players, close to home ones are a helpful, so. And if you like a 674 d3 team not really fully developed, what's the point of having a D3. Actually, to answer Trenton, conf money helped battles and long distance recruiting , there are no battles in D3 anymore... So it does not make any difference
2/22/2017 11:50 AM
I don't see how location can't be relevant in D3. You just have limited funds. I found a guy 1200 miles away last season but it was pure fluke. I had $46 to scout. I had 2k in recruiting left. One state had 3 recruits($45). I figured, if nothing else, I could offer one a HV, maybe a CV, and get one from MN if no one else was on him. He's my JUCO back-up C. A transfer(I'm sure all the vets know the trick for free scouting on transfers).

That's was the only state outside my region that I scouted. There's no way a D3 in CT can compete in FL.
2/22/2017 12:12 PM
Only just mailed me. He is with ab90, the master of location. ' location is more important you are right. Pbau and Colorado never really had needs for conf money, merging d2and d3 is the dumbest idea'
2/22/2017 12:20 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.