WIS, please fix the beginning of phase 2 Topic

I'll say again...there shouldn't be any discussion on this and it should be fixed. My efforts should have been easily overcome by any D1 school and certainly an A- prestige D1 school. Yes, I understand the current recruiting pretty well and took a chance at a high risk\high reward situation and get very lucky. I go in every time knowing and expecting that a D1 or even a D2 school could come in and take a recruit. It's the way it should be every time. A D3 coach could spend every single night at a recruits home from the start of recruiting until the day before signing and if D1 A- prestige Uconn calls at midnight the kid says "sorry D3 coach, but UCONN just offered. Wish you the best next year but I'm a husky now" 99.9% of the time. The .1% is reserved for a recruit who's dad is the D3 coach and even then they most likely go to UCONN lol.
2/18/2017 10:16 PM
^^^^^

Great Post

Same idea but much better written then my Ben Simmons letter.
2/18/2017 10:29 PM
Posted by snewell12 on 2/18/2017 10:16:00 PM (view original):
I'll say again...there shouldn't be any discussion on this and it should be fixed. My efforts should have been easily overcome by any D1 school and certainly an A- prestige D1 school. Yes, I understand the current recruiting pretty well and took a chance at a high risk\high reward situation and get very lucky. I go in every time knowing and expecting that a D1 or even a D2 school could come in and take a recruit. It's the way it should be every time. A D3 coach could spend every single night at a recruits home from the start of recruiting until the day before signing and if D1 A- prestige Uconn calls at midnight the kid says "sorry D3 coach, but UCONN just offered. Wish you the best next year but I'm a husky now" 99.9% of the time. The .1% is reserved for a recruit who's dad is the D3 coach and even then they most likely go to UCONN lol.
Okay, the sense of entitlement overcomes good recruiting for you. Fair enough, bbunch agrees with you so you are not alone in that. For me, that still makes a bad game and I think good recruiting should overcome the sense of entitlement every time. And Seble's red light, that we now see causes trouble not just for D2 coaches but for D1 and D3 as well, has to go.
2/18/2017 10:57 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 2/18/2017 10:57:00 PM (view original):
Okay, the sense of entitlement overcomes good recruiting for you. Fair enough, bbunch agrees with you so you are not alone in that. For me, that still makes a bad game and I think good recruiting should overcome the sense of entitlement every time. And Seble's red light, that we now see causes trouble not just for D2 coaches but for D1 and D3 as well, has to go.

Spud, and I mean this sincerely, are you a real life college basketball fan or just a fan of online simulation games? Your opinions are always outliers on these forums, and I want to know where you are coming from. The type of recruiting that you're talking about would most likely have little to no appeal to just about all other coaches, because when people play a simulation game, they expect it to simulate reality on some discernible level. Your opinions might make for an entertaining game in your mind, but have no connection at all to the reality of college basketball, which is my problem with your posts on this topic.

The most amazing recruiting in the world shouldn't convince a D1 level player to play at a D3 program unless that D1 level player has no other options That's not entitlement, that's common sense, that's just much closer to reality.

2/19/2017 4:23 AM
Folks, do you think ideas #2 and #3 are enough to provide a solid fix to phase 2?
2/19/2017 4:25 AM
Posted by bbunch on 2/19/2017 4:23:00 AM (view original):

Spud, and I mean this sincerely, are you a real life college basketball fan or just a fan of online simulation games? Your opinions are always outliers on these forums, and I want to know where you are coming from. The type of recruiting that you're talking about would most likely have little to no appeal to just about all other coaches, because when people play a simulation game, they expect it to simulate reality on some discernible level. Your opinions might make for an entertaining game in your mind, but have no connection at all to the reality of college basketball, which is my problem with your posts on this topic.

The most amazing recruiting in the world shouldn't convince a D1 level player to play at a D3 program unless that D1 level player has no other options That's not entitlement, that's common sense, that's just much closer to reality.

This is well said.

Chapel said something similar awhile back when he said he wants to play a game that is realistic and simulates real basketball.

I think 2.0 did a better job of achieving this from a D1 to D3 standpoint. Separate pools that overlap SOME. The pull down/drop down thing wasn't intuitive but it did have a realistic feel to it and felt like you were actually interacting with a player.
2/19/2017 7:46 AM
Posted by bbunch on 2/19/2017 4:25:00 AM (view original):
Folks, do you think ideas #2 and #3 are enough to provide a solid fix to phase 2?
i do
2/19/2017 8:29 AM
My thought. I had people knock me out of D1 players in Rupp.. But if I could of grabbed a player over Arizona ... as a D2 team, I would of felt it was stupid...
2/19/2017 9:10 AM
I don't want to get into the "realism" argument but here are two things to ponder if you want realism:

1. Schools do not contact recruits for the first time late in recruiting. KY has contacted kids since their junior year. Contacting a player for the first time in recruiting session 2 is nonsense. But everyone of us does it.

2. Coaches at one school for 30 seasons is rare, 50 seasons is unheard of. If you want realism, this cannot be ignored.
2/19/2017 9:16 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2017 9:16:00 AM (view original):
I don't want to get into the "realism" argument but here are two things to ponder if you want realism:

1. Schools do not contact recruits for the first time late in recruiting. KY has contacted kids since their junior year. Contacting a player for the first time in recruiting session 2 is nonsense. But everyone of us does it.

2. Coaches at one school for 30 seasons is rare, 50 seasons is unheard of. If you want realism, this cannot be ignored.
Cap D3 to D2 recruits. Up value of efforts at D1... so D2 need more to battle D1 teams. D3 is not fun.
2/19/2017 9:29 AM
DIII coaches reaching WAY ABOVE their target area is NOT good recruiting. It is HIGH risk HIGH reward recruiting. Once you can get that idea through your cranium you can join the rest of us.
2/19/2017 9:32 AM
Posted by zorzii on 2/19/2017 9:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2017 9:16:00 AM (view original):

Cap D3 to D2 recruits. Up value of efforts at D1... so D2 need more to battle D1 teams. D3 is not fun.
Remove projected levels.

D3 is fine.
2/19/2017 9:55 AM
bbunch,
My opinions:
#1 - yes, i agree. I think Div-1 recruiting actions should be weighted much higher.
#2 - yes, i agree. No signing for 1st day of phase 2, and extend phase 2 an additional day.
#3 - no opinion on this. Giving top recruits a greater likelihood of signing Late... this might hurt teams due to shorter recovery times if a battle is lost.

other items, again, just my opinion:
- i like the 20 HV cap. I also like someone's suggestion of a limit of 5 HV's in one cycle.
- i don't think Div-3 schools should be able to recruit Div-1 players.

also:
- even in Div-1, for local recruits, with 3 openings, i can only afford to send 20 HV's to 2 recruits.
- although i agree with the #1 suggestion, gotta say that Crum Bemidji is at A+, and has been a top level team for a long time... also, in HD 2.0, there were times when as a Div-2 team, i lost to A+ Div-3 teams on some players... so I'm not sure this is a new problem specific to 3.0.
- I'm surprised in general how some Div-1 Big Six owners (none on this thread) haven't adjusted their recruiting strategies in HD 3.0... still taking on multiple probable EE's like catnip, though they will get burned in a couple of seasons.
2/19/2017 10:14 AM
“Spud, and I mean this sincerely, are you a real life college basketball fan or just a fan of online simulation games? Your opinions are always outliers on these forums, and I want to know where you are coming from. The type of recruiting that you're talking about… “
I’m a fan of both, and always aware that they are not one and the same. If we’re talking about an online sim, there is no requirement that it exactly mirror real life, just simulate it. I think realism in an online game is desirable, but playability trumps realism any time they conflict. So, in short, keep realism pretty much out of the debate when it conflicts with a game’s playability.
I used to post a lot of agreement with stuff on the forums, but that provoked a bunch of whining (imagine that) so I stopped. I am a person who always looks at both sides of a coin, and in these forums I always look at an idea from the point of view of the whole game, not just my team or my own personal preferences. The “type of recruiting” I’m talking about complies with those standards.

BTW, “I think removing the caps is a good idea because we are now all on equal footing for resources.”
What do you have against being on equal footing for resources? Caps were put in place because a team with one or two openings had no chance against a team with 4, 5 or 6 openings. Really, you want to go back to that? Chapel said it well, “My thinking on the HV and CV cap has always been that I like it … I do like the fact that a team with one opening can compete evenly with a team with 6 openings.” And that applies to D2 and D3 as well.

And always remember it is very difficult already to step up a projected division for a recruit, and with just a small number of new coaches it will be nigh unto impossible. No tweak is needed here, just a small number of additional coaches.
2/19/2017 12:25 PM
BTW, re. the vaunted #2 and #3 from the original post ...
#2 is one of the worst ideas I have come across. Seble's red light already artificially disrupts recruiting for all three divisional levels. Extending it makes matters wildly worse, not better. It compresses signings into a tiny window -- miss a couple of days for any eal life reason and you are sunk. Miss out on a recruit that you investe in, and the window for recovery is smaller than now, Etc.
#3 approaches a good idea. WIS already increased the proportion of top recruits that prefer late signings. At first I was neutral on that, but now I think that was a good move. More of a good thing isn't always a good thing, though. If they push still more recruits to late signings, how are you going to execute plan B if you miss a recruit and time is even shorter than now? As it is, a lot of guys haven't figured that one out.
2/19/2017 12:33 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
WIS, please fix the beginning of phase 2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.