My two cents: First off I do not post my thoughts very often on the forums due to the extremists reactions to people's opinions, but I feel WIS followed societies belief that everyone is entitled to be successful, regardless of the time, effort, and hard work dedicated to be successful. I played Wis for many frustrating seasons in hopes of finally reaching the pinnacle A+ D1 prestige school. I finally reached this feat after years of hard work, devising ways to get the best recruits possible at schools like rice. Penn St. and NC st. All 3 of those schools had numerous higher baseline prestige schools nearby. I had to strategically plan recruiting battles and allocation of funds to build a successful team. I learned a lot and won some and lost some battles in the process. Which I will admit was frustrating, but fun/challenging at the same time. The key point is, I put in the time and effort to do this and was finally rewarded with reaching my goal. Now with the new program this hard work is minimized due to a roll of dice.

In the new system, pariody is main the focus, allowing more people to be entitled to be successful. I get it, but that was always the focus of D2 and D3 where baseline prestige was not a factor. I had a D3 team just for this reason, but the point is DI should not and is not like that. Power schools and high baseline schools should have an advantage, just like in real life. Was that advantage a little extreme, yes it was, but that is DI basketball. If you don't like that or don't want to put in the time and effort stay at the lower divisions.

WIS had to do something because they were not making any profit from the people who put in the time and effort. These coaches were virtually playing for free because of this effort. I have not payed for a season in a long time, but I did have pay until I earned that privilege. This process worked for Wis until most power schools were taken and the same coaches were reeking the benefits.

I will continue to play until my credits run out because I do enjoy the game, but the updates again in my opinion, were not improvements to the game. They were a ploy to create a more even playing field with less effort and time to achieve some form of success. Thus, everyone is entitled to be successful regardless of time, effort, and hard work. Just like our society, everyone gets a trophy or reward just because they payed to participate. This is not an attack, complaint, or troll of any message or person, just an opinion of a long time user of this sim game.
2/18/2017 9:57 AM
I may be new here, only in my third season in D3, but I disagree.

Success should be purely a factor of skill and effort on the part of the paying customer. There should be no inherent "power or high baseline" schools. If you're coaching at the University of Vermont, you should NOT be at an inherent disadvantage in recruiting against a Duke or a Kentucky just because they're "prestige" schools. Program success and coach success should be the determining factors. And any program and any coach should be able to become the attractive school for recruits to want to play for.

The only non-coach or non-program related advantages that should be factored into the game should be D1 > D2 > D3. But within each of those levels, the coaches skill and effort should be what defines the differences between schools.
2/18/2017 10:21 AM
I get what you're blhorick. I think it comes down to this

Do you think D1 should be just like D2 and D3? If yes, then well, no there shouldn't be any advantages and you the prestige of teams is very fluid.

If you think that D1 should be a different animal from D2/D3, then yeah, there should be things like this as you say. You should climb the ladder a couple rungs at a time until you can get to the top.

So is that what people want? D1 is D2/D3 with different names?
2/18/2017 10:27 AM
Real life example: does Duke remain Duke with all the inherent prestige advantages after Coach K leaves? Kentucky was not Kentucky for a few seasons, until Coach Cal rebuilt the prestige.

The prestige is only as good as the coach.
2/18/2017 10:59 AM
Are some of these highlighted recruiting outcomes more reflective of less human populated divisions than programmer outcome? Do these results occur as often if there is better distribution of humans through the divisions? Would DI coaches feel better about "losing" recruits to high D2, instead of D3?
2/18/2017 11:14 AM
I mean - no game is fun when you can't realistically win because vet coaches have been hogging the A+ schools for 70+ seasons in a game that was basically a math equation. I don't think that's necessarily entitlement......since it's a game, players must feel like there's a realistic chance to win.

I've been all over the threads this morning about 3.0's flaws - but I do feel like I can realistically make it to the upper echelon of D1 now, which was basically impossible before. That was 2.0's major flaw, and I'm glad that is fixed.
2/18/2017 11:34 AM
I've always thought their reward system was a little off... it means the people at Kansas or UCLA essentially get the game for free, but also it discourages program building. I enjoy taking over schools and building them up to A+ prestige in D3, but that means I'm paying full price for those seasons. I'm no worse of a coach, but I miss out on some rewards since I'm leaving my team that would be top 20 RPI the following year with a sim coach in order to take over a really bad team
2/18/2017 2:51 PM
I know this is off topic but it would be nice to sim the halves 12 hours apart so we can make our own halftime adjustments.
2/18/2017 3:10 PM
I've been around a long time and have always thought DI prestige should be more fluid. There should be no locked in baseline prestige, but a dynamic prestige based on a certain number of seasons (say the last 10-15 seasons determines prestige). This promotes program building at any program. With that said, the big name schools will still typically rise to the top simply because more people know them, and coaches want to see that favorite team at the top, but dynamic prestige allows any program to be built into a power.
2/18/2017 3:41 PM
bbunch, I agree, I guess this is why I am frustrated. For years I played the game with no real expectation of being a National Champion. Year after year I had to out recruit the power prestige schools just to be what I call competitive. They were handed the best 5/4 star recruits and I was left with scraps. On occasion, I would steal one only if another school or two battled them for their recruits as well or I had way more openings. If no one else did or if I had a small number of open scholarships I was stuck with plan B (the leftovers). The leftovers would not be enough to win a championship. I managed through luck to finally be eligible and have an open A+ Baseline Prestige after years of what I would call paying my dues. To me it was like getting into a local club. You put your name on the waiting list knowing it would be 4-7 years before you would be invited to be a member. I feel I put in my 4-7 years and now I want reek the benefits (Cheap Beer/Food). Then all of a sudden, after being a member for 1 year the club creates an open enrollment, thus people can just join the club with no waiting list. I would be frustrated about that process. I wish I had a few more years/seasons to reek the benefits to win at least 1 Championship. If I would have a title at DI I might feel differently. I do like math though.

benrudy, I also enjoyed building DII and DIII teams for many seasons. The recruiting is so much different and more in depth. At my prime, I had a team at all 3 levels. I could only muster a championship at the DIII ranks though. I guess that is why the DI championship is my main goal at this point. They just made it more difficult for me to bully my way to that championship. Good for the game, harder for me (Kind of like the Salary Cap in the NFL). Like I said before I will continue playing looking to bring home that DI championship until my 18 seasons run out. This gives me plenty of time to change my mind.

poncho - couldn't agree more, well said.

I like some of the changes they made in 3.0, but some drive me crazy.

EE is a problem - possible but extremely hard to prepare for due to lack of quality recruits left. Walk-ons are hard to avoid. There have been some smart ideas on the forums to help alleviate this problem

Recruiting Battles - possible but extremely hard to allocate funds once you lose a coin flip. Quality of recruits are poor and other recruits are already too invested to jump onto and you have very little money left. This leads me to the next problem.

Recruiting Caps - let coaches spend what ever they want. I have no problem losing a recruit if I am beat due to being out recruited. I do not like losing on a coin flip when I out recruited them (higher %).

Thanks for everyone who responded in a friendly/respectful manner. Even though we all have our different opinions on what is right/wrong with the game it is great to have a respectful dialogue.
2/18/2017 5:26 PM
Posted by runnrun on 2/18/2017 3:10:00 PM (view original):
I know this is off topic but it would be nice to sim the halves 12 hours apart so we can make our own halftime adjustments.
I literally have said this 15 times and people always respond by saying, "You know some people have lives, right?"
2/18/2017 6:35 PM
Posted by blhorick on 2/18/2017 5:26:00 PM (view original):
bbunch, I agree, I guess this is why I am frustrated. For years I played the game with no real expectation of being a National Champion. Year after year I had to out recruit the power prestige schools just to be what I call competitive. They were handed the best 5/4 star recruits and I was left with scraps. On occasion, I would steal one only if another school or two battled them for their recruits as well or I had way more openings. If no one else did or if I had a small number of open scholarships I was stuck with plan B (the leftovers). The leftovers would not be enough to win a championship. I managed through luck to finally be eligible and have an open A+ Baseline Prestige after years of what I would call paying my dues. To me it was like getting into a local club. You put your name on the waiting list knowing it would be 4-7 years before you would be invited to be a member. I feel I put in my 4-7 years and now I want reek the benefits (Cheap Beer/Food). Then all of a sudden, after being a member for 1 year the club creates an open enrollment, thus people can just join the club with no waiting list. I would be frustrated about that process. I wish I had a few more years/seasons to reek the benefits to win at least 1 Championship. If I would have a title at DI I might feel differently. I do like math though.

benrudy, I also enjoyed building DII and DIII teams for many seasons. The recruiting is so much different and more in depth. At my prime, I had a team at all 3 levels. I could only muster a championship at the DIII ranks though. I guess that is why the DI championship is my main goal at this point. They just made it more difficult for me to bully my way to that championship. Good for the game, harder for me (Kind of like the Salary Cap in the NFL). Like I said before I will continue playing looking to bring home that DI championship until my 18 seasons run out. This gives me plenty of time to change my mind.

poncho - couldn't agree more, well said.

I like some of the changes they made in 3.0, but some drive me crazy.

EE is a problem - possible but extremely hard to prepare for due to lack of quality recruits left. Walk-ons are hard to avoid. There have been some smart ideas on the forums to help alleviate this problem

Recruiting Battles - possible but extremely hard to allocate funds once you lose a coin flip. Quality of recruits are poor and other recruits are already too invested to jump onto and you have very little money left. This leads me to the next problem.

Recruiting Caps - let coaches spend what ever they want. I have no problem losing a recruit if I am beat due to being out recruited. I do not like losing on a coin flip when I out recruited them (higher %).

Thanks for everyone who responded in a friendly/respectful manner. Even though we all have our different opinions on what is right/wrong with the game it is great to have a respectful dialogue.
Really good two posts. Great thread to read through.
2/18/2017 6:36 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 2/18/2017 6:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by runnrun on 2/18/2017 3:10:00 PM (view original):
I literally have said this 15 times and people always respond by saying, "You know some people have lives, right?"
It's not a bad idea. If you're available, you make your adjustments. If you're not, SIMAI makes them for you. Just as he already does.
2/18/2017 7:58 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/18/2017 10:21:00 AM (view original):

Success should be purely a factor of skill and effort on the part of the paying customer. There should be no inherent "power or high baseline" schools. If you're coaching at the University of Vermont, you should NOT be at an inherent disadvantage in recruiting against a Duke or a Kentucky just because they're "prestige" schools. Program success and coach success should be the determining factors. And any program and any coach should be able to become the attractive school for recruits to want to play for.

The only non-coach or non-program related advantages that should be factored into the game should be D1 > D2 > D3. But within each of those levels, the coaches skill and effort should be what defines the differences between schools.
keep in mind, coaches compete for the high prestige locations - it is a fruit of skill and effort....subject to the caveat that firings are not common enough

it is not as if schools are assigned randomly and some have higher baseline - they are earned
2/18/2017 9:15 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 2/18/2017 9:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/18/2017 10:21:00 AM (view original):

keep in mind, coaches compete for the high prestige locations - it is a fruit of skill and effort....subject to the caveat that firings are not common enough

it is not as if schools are assigned randomly and some have higher baseline - they are earned
How are baselines earned? Weren't baseline prestige assignments decided at the start of HD way back when and been a constant since then?
2/18/2017 9:19 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.