Can you still red shirt players after exhibition games but before non conference games begin? How many players can you red shirt?
2/20/2017 6:26 PM
You can only red shirt one player. You can red shirt players after the season starts, provided that the player doesn't play any minutes.
2/20/2017 6:40 PM
Thanks for the Info! I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH!
2/20/2017 7:45 PM
I have two redshirt questions. First, during the first recruiting period/process I had two players with moderate interest, highest at that point for any team (period 1, DI level recruits, I have a DIII team), I made scholarship offers to both. Neither had a preference to play right away. I informed of redshirt to both. One's percentages (home visit, scholarship offer, etc.) essentially dropped in half, the other dropped to zero. Each interest dropped off the map, not even referenced as very low. I removed the inform but nothing changed despite using attention minutes. They essentially tuned me out despite my best efforts. What is the best means to redshirt without angering a recruit or, for a signed player to not see a dip in work ethic?

Second, I signed one recruit. He has a high work ethic (93) and didn't have a need a play. Aside from one walk on, he's my sole freshman. He has the the 3rd lowest rating (492 vs. 485 for a sophomore and 400 for the walk-on) on my team. I didn't inform of red shirting during recruiting. If I redshirt now, will he accept or regress? What's a good general rule of thumb when it comes to red shirting without regression?
3/2/2017 8:38 AM
You can always try to RS people. If they don't like it, you can pull it.

That said, it is hard to RS guys that are "good" compared to your program. I am a A+ D1 coach, so I can RS guys that are like #90 at their position, but no way I can RS a top 20 guy. For you, I would suspect that a D1 player would be difficult/impossible to RS, while D2 or D3 players would be much easier to RS.
3/2/2017 8:51 AM
Posted by mg050369 on 3/2/2017 8:38:00 AM (view original):
I have two redshirt questions. First, during the first recruiting period/process I had two players with moderate interest, highest at that point for any team (period 1, DI level recruits, I have a DIII team), I made scholarship offers to both. Neither had a preference to play right away. I informed of redshirt to both. One's percentages (home visit, scholarship offer, etc.) essentially dropped in half, the other dropped to zero. Each interest dropped off the map, not even referenced as very low. I removed the inform but nothing changed despite using attention minutes. They essentially tuned me out despite my best efforts. What is the best means to redshirt without angering a recruit or, for a signed player to not see a dip in work ethic?

Second, I signed one recruit. He has a high work ethic (93) and didn't have a need a play. Aside from one walk on, he's my sole freshman. He has the the 3rd lowest rating (492 vs. 485 for a sophomore and 400 for the walk-on) on my team. I didn't inform of red shirting during recruiting. If I redshirt now, will he accept or regress? What's a good general rule of thumb when it comes to red shirting without regression?
If he is D1 material, why are you offering a redshirt to him at D3? I would drop you, too.
If you offer a redshirt to a guy you've already recruited without mentioning it during recruiting, you're always taking a chance. You can try and then change it back. It used to be that the better the player relative to your team, the better the chance he will reject the redshirt.

In this game, you need to play at least ten to win consistently. Unless you're not gonna play the freshman, I wouldn't redshirt him. I'd rather not recruit a guy who can't play and try harder for another better guy and be left with an extra opening if I lose the battle in this recruiting system.
3/2/2017 10:07 AM
I have redshirted D1 rated players on my D2 and D3 teams in 3.0. In 3.0 I have never had a recruit reject the redshirt but it is still a small sample size.

As for your questions and situation mg050369--never tell a recruit you are going to redshirt him.

IF you put a redshirt on a player and he rejects it and his WE drops--simply remove the redshirt and his WE will return to what it was and he will improve normally just like it never happened. At the D2 and D3 level it is rare that a recruit rejects a redshirt.

IF you have a player like you are talking about with a 93 WE and his WE only drops into the 60's or above and it is important to you to have him redshirted--you could keep the redshirt on and he will improve like any recruit with that WE in the 60's.

IF you have a recruit say in the 50's in WE and he drops to like 15 or so--then I would pull the redshirt off and chalk it up to bad luck.

Hope you enjoy the game and stick around.
3/2/2017 11:50 AM
I disagree with the never tell a recruit you will redshirt him advice

You should understand that during recruiting the inform of redshirt is a significant negative effort - it undoes a chunk of effort

How much, depends on the player - and the school trying to recruit him. Some kids are find with it - and then you know they will take the RS - some are totally blown away and it becomes hard to recruit them even if you take it off

Keep in mind, during the cycle when you inform of redshirt, other schools may see your drop and ramp up their effort - further complicating your situation

IN GENERAL a kid who is a big reach for your team will be less happy with a redshirt inform than a kid who is thrilled to hear from you

there is no one right answer - play with it - with care
3/2/2017 1:16 PM
Great info. I think I missed out on a pretty recruit when I informed of redshirt. I won't make that mistake again. My lone freshman accepted the redshirt without decline. Between the redshirt and my walk on, I've got a ten man roster. My redshirted freshman is only slightly better than the 10th man on my roster so I see definite value in bringing him back next year after my 3 seniors depart. Thanks again.
3/2/2017 1:22 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.