After 4 (real) years I should know this but....... Topic

that is 838 receptions for 10,937 yards in one season!! I would say he successfully targeted his intended receiver as much as possible.
2/22/2017 11:40 AM
If it didn't work that well vs the best teams that is all that matters to me. My players rarely lead in stat categories. But we win a lot of CC's and our share of NC's.
2/22/2017 11:42 AM
Posted by samson75 on 2/22/2017 11:37:00 AM (view original):
If I recall correctly, what Jfootball did was run a shotgun offense. He set 3 receivers shallow, and sent 1 medium or long. He set the 1 receiver to get 100% of the targets. Take a look at the records from Colorado in Yost. he had a couple of other teams as well. Can't recall which ones. I don't think it worked as well, if at all, at higher levels where the talent margins were closer though.

Below you will find passing yards, receptions, and reception yards records he holds using that offense.
You can't set 3wr short and 1wr long.

The wr% is first read, but the target depth is determined by the play call
2/22/2017 11:46 AM (edited)
Best Advice I can give to anyone wishing to get better is find the coaches that are consistent winners.
Then click on their games vs quality opposition to them. Read the play by play with the Advanced play by play option and try to learn from that.
It will show you tendencies; when they D pass, when they D run , when they throw, when they run, whether they run outside most , inside , or balanced. When they thow short, med, long .....
It should make you think about what you do.
Note, not all successful teams do the same things at same times. But this method is a great way to scout a team you will play.
2/22/2017 11:47 AM
+1

How I learn stuff. If I cant figure it out I send a site-mail.

Most coaches are broad and wont share secrets, or tell you exactly what you ask. But some times you can still learn stuff.
2/22/2017 12:14 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 2/22/2017 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by samson75 on 2/22/2017 11:37:00 AM (view original):
If I recall correctly, what Jfootball did was run a shotgun offense. He set 3 receivers shallow, and sent 1 medium or long. He set the 1 receiver to get 100% of the targets. Take a look at the records from Colorado in Yost. he had a couple of other teams as well. Can't recall which ones. I don't think it worked as well, if at all, at higher levels where the talent margins were closer though.

Below you will find passing yards, receptions, and reception yards records he holds using that offense.
You can't set 3wr short and 1wr long.

The wr% is first read, but the target depth is determined by the play call
Why not? I am not following. He set the target depth to 100% in the playbook and had one receiver there in the formation setup.

I am not advocating this plan. I had to defend against it in the national championship one season. He threw to one receiver at one depth and the backup came in to spell the main receiver. Maybe something changed. it did work though at one point in this engine, at least when the talent gap was wide enough.
2/22/2017 12:25 PM
samson is right...you are able to set the depths and targets (just a bit of manipulation between formations and playbooks).

If I recall correctly, WIS fixed this little problem, which destroyed his capability to win, and then he left.

I tried to reproduce it and could not do so.
2/22/2017 12:34 PM
the playcall determines depth of play, then the formation will determine who the target is

for example if my down and distance calls for shotgun deep, the target will be deep.

then based on my shotgun formation settings it will determine who is the target.

if i have that shotgun formation set at wr1 100% for deep settings then wr1 will receive 100% of first reads. not 100% of passes. if the qb throws to another option, that option will also be deep
2/22/2017 12:51 PM
That isn't how it used to work. Maybe you know something we don't. Like I said, it may have changed.

If you only have 1 receiver set to the targeted depth in the formation, and you only throw at that depth in the playbook, and the formation correctly draws from the depth chart as instructed, I don't know how you can throw to anyone else. There isn't anyone else there and the QB won't look anywhere else. Unless the settings are meaningless, which is a possibility.
2/22/2017 12:56 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 2/21/2017 3:19:00 PM (view original):
pass progression used to work in a rotation like
WR1
WR2
TE
RB

such that if WR2 was the first look then the progression on the play would be
WR2
TE
RB
WR1

and you couldn't target RB in the passing game so the best way to move RB up the progression was to target the TE so that progression would be
TE
RB
WR1
WR2

i'm assuming it still works this way except now you can target the rb as a primary.
It does not.
2/22/2017 1:00 PM
awesome. forget everything i mentioned cause it's probably wrong. i award myself no points and you are all now dumber for having read it. thanks
2/22/2017 1:03 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 2/22/2017 1:03:00 PM (view original):
awesome. forget everything i mentioned cause it's probably wrong. i award myself no points and you are all now dumber for having read it. thanks
I don't recall exactly how it works, but I recall during the development of this engine we (the Council) were told how it was going to work and it was different. I *believe* the second read selected like the first (percentage-wise), but with the first-read removed. And so on for the third and fourth and... etc.

In other words, your second read is most likely to be the receiving target with the second-highest distribution for that play. But it could be anyone based on the random number generator and the respective percentages.
2/22/2017 1:07 PM

If you only have 1 receiver set to the targeted depth in the formation, and you only throw at that depth in the playbook, and the formation correctly draws from the depth chart as instructed, I don't know how you can throw to anyone else. There isn't anyone else there and the QB won't look anywhere else. Unless the settings are meaningless, which is a possibility.

This is my experience with this engine, sans the last sentence.

nitros

2/22/2017 1:09 PM
Posted by samson75 on 2/22/2017 12:57:00 PM (view original):
That isn't how it used to work. Maybe you know something we don't. Like I said, it may have changed.

i don't understand what you mean by there isn't anyone else there. how are you telling individual wrs which depth to go?
2/22/2017 1:28 PM
Posted by samson75 on 2/22/2017 12:57:00 PM (view original):

Easy to test that. Create a gameplan with this construct. Execute that gameplan. Do you ever throw to any other target, other than the "1 receiver"? If so, it doesn't work this way. If you go a whole season with only ever throwing to that "1 receiver", then it does.
2/22/2017 1:39 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
After 4 (real) years I should know this but....... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.