After 4 (real) years I should know this but....... Topic

..........can someone tell me what the game play does in passing situations?
So lets take the default proset medium distance pass as an example; the figures are 20% to the RB, 40% to WR1 and 40% to WR2. How does this work out? What is this saying? That the QB looks first to the RB on 1 play of every 5 and the two WR's on 2 of 5 plays each. What happens if the WR1 is tightly marked, does he then look at WR2 twice as often as he looks at the RB (40% v 20%). I thought I knew the answer but not so sure after listening to one of Chrondon's excellent posts
2/21/2017 2:55 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
polarsi, I think the situation you describe cannot be evaluated by a single play. It has to be evaluated over the course of a game (or multiple games).

I'm of the opinion that the % is not initial looks, but rather targets. So....if WR1 is covered and the QB cannot get a pass off to him, it will not "count" in the % that the engine keeps track of. So, next time out...his chance of being the initial look is the same (or greater) than it was before.

Ive never seen or heard the progression that ebel331 mentions above, but I like it...and wish I had known it long ago.
2/21/2017 7:57 PM
OK., so back to the default proset, if I copy that and change WR1 to 100% for example. the QB will throw to him all of the time regardless of whether covered or not and never look for the other two at all?
2/22/2017 1:07 AM
I have found that no it will not throw 100 percent to one receiver. Like in real life he may be covered, out of the game resting, or other reasons. He may get more receptions than he ordinarily would get but no way 100 percent. The 100 percent in the controls just means he is the main target at the beginning of each play. But then the play has to play out and he is not always open or even in the game.
2/22/2017 8:19 AM
Yah WR1 100% just means the WR1 position will be the first option every play. Doesn't mean they will throw to it every time.

There will always be a WR1 in the game, regardless of which individual player is currently in the spot.

2/22/2017 8:35 AM
I was under the impression that 100% WR1 (or whichever WR you assign to that depth) means it will throw to that position every time. Didn't Jfootball prove this true a while back? His entire offense was target 1 receiver at one depth. The QB would drop back, look at the covered receiver, look at the covered receiver, look again at the covered receiver, and then either force it to said receiver, take a sack, or throw it out of bounds. You could set the defense to cover the depth, but with a good enough QB and WR combo and an offensive line to protect, it wasn't always easy to stop. That was during version 3 (current version). Did something change?

2/22/2017 10:14 AM
Dunno about Jfootball Samson .
But on one of my teams I am targeting one of my recievers 85 per cent of the time and he is lucky if he gets the ball 40 percent of the time. And it is usually due to the plausible excuses I had mentioned(receiver is covered, is resting on the bench, etc.). So the throw go's to another receiver.
One thing I am not doing that you said Jfootball is, I throw to all the different depths, not only 1.
2/22/2017 10:30 AM (edited)
This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. Pretty important feature of the game, yet no one knows for sure how it works.
2/22/2017 11:09 AM
I don't feel quite so stupid now though! So if we're playing trips and have the three receivers plus RB all at 25% each, the QB is effectively looking at the 4 on an almost random basis - notwithstanding Harris' comments earlier?
2/22/2017 11:21 AM
Posted by realist9900 on 2/22/2017 11:09:00 AM (view original):
This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy. Pretty important feature of the game, yet no one knows for sure how it works.
Exactly. It is amazing that there is no definitive game guide. You can consolidate servers and/or reset servers and/or do whatever you want, but most new players are going to split when they have to ask questions in the forums only to get answers which may come from past versions of the engine, or peoples' limited experience with the game, or conversations partially recalled with developers during Beta who are no longer anywhere to be found, if they get an answer at all.
2/22/2017 11:22 AM
If I recall correctly, what Jfootball did was run a shotgun offense. He set 3 receivers shallow, and sent 1 medium or long. He set the 1 receiver to get 100% of the targets. Take a look at the records from Colorado in Yost. he had a couple of other teams as well. Can't recall which ones. I don't think it worked as well, if at all, at higher levels where the talent margins were closer though.

Below you will find passing yards, receptions, and reception yards records he holds using that offense.
2/22/2017 11:37 AM (edited)
12345 Next ▸
After 4 (real) years I should know this but....... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.