Freshman declares EE Topic

I have never seen this before, but my Freshman at Illinois, Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - William Barker - Stats - Wooden - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports, just declared early, after his freshman year. He was 892 when I recruited him and ended the season at 928. It's hard to know if it is worth recruiting a player like that if you already have a pretty loaded team because they do not have the high IQ, and because EEs are difficult to replace. On the positive side, he is #13 on the draft big board, which helps the prestige, and even with the low IQ, he was still a productive player.
2/23/2017 7:43 AM
interesting, definitely can't recall seeing this either. in a way, it actually makes more sense for a freshman that high on the board to declare EE than a soph or junior below 60 on the draft board (or even off the board), which happens somewhat frequently. it might make it more interesting and more realistic to have the true top couple freshman go EE more often.
2/23/2017 8:00 AM
I actually like this, I think the top 2-3 freshman should be looking to be 1 and done if they have the ratings.
2/23/2017 8:12 AM
I do agree with that. It is more realistic. I wish they would possibly start out with a higher IQ if they already have such high ratings.
2/23/2017 8:27 AM
I have another freshman at Georgia Tech who is #36 on the board, but says "Staying". Hopefully he will not change his mind.
2/23/2017 8:27 AM
Posted by gvsujulius on 2/23/2017 8:12:00 AM (view original):
I actually like this, I think the top 2-3 freshman should be looking to be 1 and done if they have the ratings.
Truthfully, in the name of "realism", it should be more than 2-3. It seems like EVERY top freshman is one and done. I just glanced at 2016 underclassmen who declared for the NBA and there were a lot of 19 y/o on that list.

With that said, as chapel alluded to, it would change recruiting if 15-20 declared every HD season. Would it be worth it to chase the top 10 guys? Top 15? Would your resources be better spent on a recruit that will stay 2, 3, maybe 4 seasons? That's what real life coaches/schools decide on.
2/23/2017 8:36 AM
I've lost 3 freshmen early. One was 996 by the end of his freshman year and went top 3 overall.
With the new format, though, this type of player costs a lot.
2/23/2017 8:51 AM
was he "on the fence" or "likely going"?

stinks but actually like that. I'd rather lose a stud frosh EE lottery pick than an EE who goes in the 2nd Round.
2/23/2017 7:43 PM
He was on the fence. I kept thinking to myself that they were just putting that by him since he was so good, and that a Freshman would not leave. But I was wrong. One thing about this guy is that I almost lost the recruiting battle for him. I had to put a lot into it. So that's what's making me wonder if it is better to get some guys that are not at the elite level, but will be there by their 3rd year or so, and that will stay all 4 years and end with extremely high IQs. That's kind of what the championship team I had at Illinois looked like. Although this team went 33-0 and then lost by one point to Michigan State in the Final 4.
2/23/2017 10:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2017 8:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gvsujulius on 2/23/2017 8:12:00 AM (view original):
Truthfully, in the name of "realism", it should be more than 2-3. It seems like EVERY top freshman is one and done. I just glanced at 2016 underclassmen who declared for the NBA and there were a lot of 19 y/o on that list.

With that said, as chapel alluded to, it would change recruiting if 15-20 declared every HD season. Would it be worth it to chase the top 10 guys? Top 15? Would your resources be better spent on a recruit that will stay 2, 3, maybe 4 seasons? That's what real life coaches/schools decide on.
That is ultimately the problem here. In real life, most coaches have an idea of their guy is leaving early and can recruit his replacement during the season. Here, you won't have those resources to recruit that replacement until the guy is gone, which is typically too late.
2/24/2017 12:39 AM
it happens - not often
2/24/2017 5:41 AM
To be honest, it should probably happen more often.
2/24/2017 5:11 PM
Freshman declares EE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.