Posted by Jtpsops on 3/9/2017 9:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 3/9/2017 8:15:00 AM (view original):
One I always forget about was I wish we had a little more managerial control over the little things in the game. I'm being a little broad with that statement but I wish I could either put (unlikely) Do not attempt to steal second with a runner on 3rd with 2 outs.

Or more likely: Do not attempt to steal bases with 2 outs.

Also, can they change the programming so that 'very agressive' base stealing doesn't have pitchers trying to steal/get picked off? Sucks that I can never use 'very agressive' in the NL.
Ya, I've always hated that re: your last point.

I don't see why they can't do it the same way they do for SimLeague Baseball, and let you assign basestealing aggressiveness based on individual players.
That's been discussed ad nauseum in these forums.

Individual base stealing settings would lead to a bunch of guys in each world going something like 55/4 in SB/CS, with everybody else going 0/0.

Which would then lead to people complaining that a 93% success rate in stolen base attempts was completely unrealistic and needs to be fixed.
3/9/2017 11:49 AM
So that makes it illogical? There will always be someone to complain about whatever they do - so might as well just use some common sense. Having to assign a setting to a whole team either makes you leave SBs on the table for your top guys, or have weak baserunners running into outs. It makes zero sense.

People don't want guys stealing at a 93% clip, then let them start going after catchers with good arms.
3/9/2017 1:27 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/9/2017 1:27:00 PM (view original):
So that makes it illogical? There will always be someone to complain about whatever they do - so might as well just use some common sense. Having to assign a setting to a whole team either makes you leave SBs on the table for your top guys, or have weak baserunners running into outs. It makes zero sense.

People don't want guys stealing at a 93% clip, then let them start going after catchers with good arms.
Although I don't agree with the idea, the logic makes a lot of sense.

Its kinda silly that I can play in SD and win a title with a guy with 50 arm, 50 accuracy and 50 pitch calling behind the plate, all because he's stat line is .289/.350/.445
3/9/2017 2:59 PM
I'm gonna say this with a caveat, that I haven't played Simleague Baseball so I don't know how they do it with real life players or what the end results look like...

But I do think that, with some room for variance, the current baserunning system in HBD results in some realistic end-of-season totals. Not only for individual players, but team totals too. And that's what we want from this product, right? Realistic numbers? Like, no one wants to see every team have a 70 HR hitter on it, we'd just ashcan the game.

If anything, I'd venture that the existing base stealers are already too successful, when it comes to unrealistically high stealing percentages. And players with ratings like 85 Baserunning/95 Speed are already fairly common, even in the minors.

SO if you could individually fine tune base stealing, I'd guess you'd see those players stealing 120, 130 bases a season. It would destroy the catching CS percentages worldwide, so you'd have to mess around with the player formulas. Nerf the baserunners, pump up the catcher's arms. No more using 60ish rating catchers.

Way I see it, you'd have to make a fairly significant revision to the player generation formula, just to get back to the same end results we get now.

3/9/2017 2:59 PM
Separate thought, but related: maybe the original mistake was giving players ratings of 85 Running/95 Speed in the first place. Owners look at that and think "That guy's gonna steal 100 for sure!"

3/9/2017 3:02 PM
It would require a complete overhaul of the program. It's not happening, zero point in discussing it.

And, yes, the true BS guys are too successful as is and the 75/75 catcher simply deters them from running. They do not throw them out.
3/9/2017 3:06 PM
My MG team is 106/32, 76%. My two best prospects were BS-types. I knew I'd want to steal. So I acquired players who could supplement that desire without wrecking my plans. It was either that or come to the forums and complain that we should have individual settings. You CAN actually build a team to steal without individual settings and/or complaining about that guy that goes 0-12 who should never steal.
3/9/2017 3:12 PM
MG is right at the halfway point of its season. Through 81 games, there have been an average of 68 steals per team with 29 caught steeling per team.

Prorated for 162 games, compared to MLB 2016:

MG: 136/58, 70.1% success rate
MLB: 85/33, 72.0% success rate

The overall success rate is close enough to MLB to say "virtually the same".

One can also take these numbers and argue that there's too much base stealing in HBD.
3/9/2017 3:31 PM
Just reviewing one of my teams, the one that can't run worth a damn. I've got base stealing set on "Rare." We've run 17 times in 118 games and still been caught 8. Seems like a wash. Should I bump it down to "Never", up to "Infrequent", or just the hell with it?

3/9/2017 3:41 PM
Posted by damag on 3/9/2017 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Just reviewing one of my teams, the one that can't run worth a damn. I've got base stealing set on "Rare." We've run 17 times in 118 games and still been caught 8. Seems like a wash. Should I bump it down to "Never", up to "Infrequent", or just the hell with it?

Well, sure as hell not up to "infrequent."

At the low end of the spectrum, the question is, is the Sim choosing its basestealing opportunities so carefully that you do OK with a 50% success rate? Your current basestealing is only costing you 3-4 runs per season on average-- if you think simmy is choosing your spots well you might be netting wins by scoring critical runs, so you can stick with the current setting. If you look at your SB attempts and they're not carefully chosen-- for example, they're when your leadoff batter walks in the top of the first-- then best to drop to "never."

Example-- one team, for a while I had no starter who could steal bases. Set SB to "never" and stole 2 bases in 2 attempts the entire season (S12). Both were by a pinch-runner, a little-used speed-and-defense CF. Both times the guy scored the game-winning run. The next season I traded him and we stole 0 bases in 2 tries. So on "average" over the two seasons we were out a run or so, but the impact of the successful steals was very high.
3/9/2017 6:23 PM
So I'm fairly new here, and don't want to derail this too much, but semi related to the BS topic, sacrificing. I've played A LOT of SLB, so I'm used to the individual settings, and it's annoying not being able to do that in HBD.

But as it pertains to the current gameplay, I'm closing in on the halfway point in Gleeman2, and have ONE sacrifice bunt despite having my team set to average with a bunch of solid bunkers with butter sticks who I wish would bunt more.

I bumped to aggressive because I don't know how the HBD engiengine treats the settings, and I don't want my producers bunting with a soft hitter coming up. I want my weaklings to bunt a lot, and especially in the right spots, but don't want the inverse.

input valued!
3/9/2017 6:55 PM
Posted by dedelman on 3/9/2017 6:23:00 PM (view original):

At the low end of the spectrum, the question is, is the Sim choosing its basestealing opportunities so carefully that you do OK with a 50% success rate? Your current basestealing is only costing you 3-4 runs per season on average-- if you think simmy is choosing your spots well you might be netting wins by scoring critical runs, so you can stick with the current setting. If you look at your SB attempts and they're not carefully chosen-- for example, they're when your leadoff batter walks in the top of the first-- then best to drop to "never."

Example-- one team, for a while I had no starter who could steal bases. Set SB to "never" and stole 2 bases in 2 attempts the entire season (S12). Both were by a pinch-runner, a little-used speed-and-defense CF. Both times the guy scored the game-winning run. The next season I traded him and we stole 0 bases in 2 tries. So on "average" over the two seasons we were out a run or so, but the impact of the successful steals was very high.
I've used never and went 0-8. Upon further review, all were picked off.
3/9/2017 9:51 PM
I've got my sac bunt set to aggressive in both of my teams and I'm happy with the output. Let's the pitchers bunt often, and my poor hitters occasionally.

As always with simmy sometimes i'll have a questionable bunt but nothing rediculous. (Usually guys that are .260/.320 nothing like my big sluggers). Give it some time and tweak accordingly. That's what the game is all about.
3/10/2017 8:08 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/9/2017 9:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dedelman on 3/9/2017 6:23:00 PM (view original):

I've used never and went 0-8. Upon further review, all were picked off.
It is possible that my 2 caught stealings were pickoffs, and my 2 successful steals were blown bunts or hit-and-runs. I basically always have bunts at "rare" and hit-and-runs set at the same as steals, although I imagine I might have set hit-and-runs at "rare" with steals at "never."

I wonder if pickoffs are related to baserunning setting? If you're at "never" steal, do you get picked off more with a more aggressive baserunning setting?
3/11/2017 8:18 PM
I noticed my pitchers were getting picked off when I had my base stealing set to 'aggressive'. So I imagine it does. Don't think I have ever had a pitcher caught stealing or trying to steal.
3/11/2017 9:07 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.