base stealing setting Topic

I haven't seen this topic anywhere but it may just be that I haven't searched effectively.

Say you have some players that are good at stealing bases. You want to maximise steals while minimising CS. My instinct is that if your opponent plays a catcher with a D- arm you probably want to set your guys to 5 on the stealing aggressiveness chart, and if they have an A+ arm, you probably want to set them to 0. But I have no data to back this up. And I have even less of an idea what to do in the middle ground - say if their catcher has an A- arm, or a C+ arm, or whatever. Or, if I have a guy that stole 33/65 or 6/9 or something like that. My impression is that if your success rate is worse than ~70%, steals are bad, so I probably wouldn't let either of these guys steal ever, but in doing so maybe I'm leaving something on the table? Mostly I'd just be interested to hear any thoughts anyone has on this.
2/26/2017 7:47 PM
This is partially hearsay, but it has worked for me without too much micromanaging.

1. If I don't want someone stealing, I leave them at 0 all season long. This includes almost all deadballers and anyone below ~70% success in real life.

2. If I do want someone stealing, I pick a setting at the beginning of the season and leave them at it all season long, no matter who my opponent is. Without any hard data to back up this argument, I'll say that I've observed players tend to steal less against catchers with good arm ratings, regardless of what I have their setting at, which is a nice kind of self-regulation that keeps me from having to micromanage too much.
2/26/2017 7:59 PM
That does make sense (and would make things a lot easier...).
2/26/2017 8:05 PM
I rarely change any settings until crunch time. At that point I might micromanage from game to game...
2/26/2017 9:09 PM
base stealing setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.