That's a good question. I'll look at some stats and let you know.

Iv never been at a non BCS so I don't have the experience to say.
2/27/2017 12:57 PM
Posted by chrondon84 on 2/27/2017 12:57:00 PM (view original):
That's a good question. I'll look at some stats and let you know.

Iv never been at a non BCS so I don't have the experience to say.
What awags is getting at is the advantage an elite has over bcs schools is the same advantage BCS schools have over Non BCS schools.
2/27/2017 12:58 PM
I know. I'm not as dumb as you think.

But the amount of non BCS, and non elite BCS coaches matter.

There is always the same amount of elites. Not non BCS. Not non elite BCS. Those fluctuate.

Besides scheduling, I don't think this comparison is fair because if a non BCS teams wants to they can move to a BCS school at any time. BCS non elite coaches cannot because elites do not open very often.
2/27/2017 1:45 PM
Posted by awags on 2/27/2017 12:47:00 PM (view original):
I have a question for all you blowhards. If you are a non BCS school should you schedule BCS schools?
I'm not blowing but I will answer anyway. My non-con schedule for this coming season is against all BCS schools, all are winnable. Whether I do or not remains to be seen. All were human when I scheduled, Mizzou is now sim but I had a running game with him till he left. This season I have sent out invites to all BCS non elite schools but have gotten zero accepted. Towards the end of the season I will throw out invites to mid-majors if I continue to not get games in hopes of filling my schedule.

Now that being said I will on occasion play an elite at Minnesota. I never accept these games prior to the end of recruiting. I will look at his roster and decide if I have close to the same chance of winning that game as I do against a BCS school. I will not schedule another team like Notre Dame in my conference with bkdries. I see no advantage in scheduling a lop sided loss.
2/27/2017 1:57 PM
Posted by truedevil33 on 2/27/2017 12:52:00 PM (view original):
This is the problem. After listening to your podcast and reading your posts all I get out of it is you don't like elites and you shouldn't schedule them because you will lose. Seems like you are trying to give a different message which is great but that my take away and I bet it is others take away too.

Just saying don't schedule elites and take a lose doesn't really help coaches. Breaking down what your WIS ranking needs to be to get into a bowl game, what record + SOS should give that ranking, what goes into SOS and how to affect it would be way more helpful to new coaches trying to figure out how to schedule and why scheduling matters.
Good points. My schedule at Minnesota usually has me just outside of the top 5 after the non-con part of it, I have also been as high as top 3. The problem is I then start to lose to Notre Dame and Ohio State and follow that up with an almost always loss to Michigan and end the season ranked around #20. Conference play reveals that my team is a pretender. But if I were a better coach my non elite, non con schedule is a winner.
2/27/2017 2:02 PM
Posted by jibe717 on 2/27/2017 2:02:00 PM (view original):
This is the problem. After listening to your podcast and reading your posts all I get out of it is you don't like elites and you shouldn't schedule them because you will lose. Seems like you are trying to give a different message which is great but that my take away and I bet it is others take away too.

Just saying don't schedule elites and take a lose doesn't really help coaches. Breaking down what your WIS ranking needs to be to get into a bowl game, what record + SOS should give that ranking, what goes into SOS and how to affect it would be way more helpful to new coaches trying to figure out how to schedule and why scheduling matters.
Good points. My schedule at Minnesota usually has me just outside of the top 5 after the non-con part of it, I have also been as high as top 3. The problem is I then start to lose to Notre Dame and Ohio State and follow that up with an almost always loss to Michigan and end the season ranked around #20. Conference play reveals that my team is a pretender. But if I were a better coach my non elite, non con schedule is a winner.
Where is your SOS normally at the end of the season?

2/27/2017 2:07 PM
First thing you need to decide is what your goals are for your team. Get as many wins as possible, or try and get ranked as high as possible and maybe even get into a NCG.

Wins are most important in Div 2. You are rewarded by beating up on sims. Div 1 you are rewarded for playing a tougher schedule against humans. Where you push the limits for your team. A loss vs a good human team will leave you higher ranked than a win vs a sim.

It really depends on your team. You schedule teams that are similar and/or a little better. I wont be scheduling elites or established teams with Temple for a few seasons. As soon as I get a full squad I absolutely will. Better ranking = less chance to get fired. Better ranking = better bowls and more playoff money. Tougher human opponents, win or lose = more fun than beating up a sim ...imo

2/27/2017 2:13 PM
...and as someone mentioned earlier. What comes first, chicken or egg? Many of the Elite schools are run by veteran coaches that have been around for years. Give them a regular BCS school and they would still kick a$$. Guys like fastec and bkdries are in my conference and are well established recruiters and game planners. They are even tougher with an elite. Yet little Texas Tech coached by blitzcommin beat 2 out of 3 elite conference games. The one he lost was one of the craziest games you have seen.
2/27/2017 2:20 PM
Posted by soupyjoe on 2/27/2017 2:13:00 PM (view original):
First thing you need to decide is what your goals are for your team. Get as many wins as possible, or try and get ranked as high as possible and maybe even get into a NCG.

Wins are most important in Div 2. You are rewarded by beating up on sims. Div 1 you are rewarded for playing a tougher schedule against humans. Where you push the limits for your team. A loss vs a good human team will leave you higher ranked than a win vs a sim.

It really depends on your team. You schedule teams that are similar and/or a little better. I wont be scheduling elites or established teams with Temple for a few seasons. As soon as I get a full squad I absolutely will. Better ranking = less chance to get fired. Better ranking = better bowls and more playoff money. Tougher human opponents, win or lose = more fun than beating up a sim ...imo

Great insight.
2/27/2017 2:23 PM
Posted by truedevil33 on 2/27/2017 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jibe717 on 2/27/2017 2:02:00 PM (view original):

Where is your SOS normally at the end of the season?

I'm not positive but I think top 25-30ish, Its not top 5 by any means.

As far as what is most advantagous idk. But in the end I would rather have a W against a 9-4, 40th ranked BCS Missouri team than a loss against a elite Oklahoma or Texas. Perhaps SOS value wise their is no difference between the two. Who knows maybe the loss has more value? But I will stick with the win first.
2/27/2017 2:32 PM
"This is the problem. After listening to your podcast and reading your posts all I get out of it is you don't like elites and you shouldn't schedule them because you will lose. Seems like you are trying to give a different message which is great but that my take away and I bet it is others take away too. "

No the problem is I don't agree with you and you cannot stand it.

I can't help how you take it. That's all on you.

"and you shouldn't schedule them because you will lose".

No chit. That's the point. If you can't grasp that I can't help you.

My messages have been consistent.

I'll say it one more time for those that are confused:
If you are a non elite you should not schedule elites. Period. There are non elites you can schedule that will help your sos just as much. 87% of the time you will lose and it helps keep elites in the natty. And keeps you and the rest of us out.

Are there times non elites can win? Of course. But you saying "cal won the natty" does not prove much. Go look at the other 90% of champions.

I bring facts and stats. You bring opinion, and misinformation.

If you need to schedule 2 elites a season that is your choice. But the numbers say you will go 0-2 for two seasons and might go 1-1 the third. I know there are exceptions.

It's just not smart.

But... whatever. I'll keep talking about it. Get on board or don't. I'll defend my opinion until I hear a cogent argument against.
2/27/2017 3:18 PM
Posted by chrondon84 on 2/27/2017 3:18:00 PM (view original):
"This is the problem. After listening to your podcast and reading your posts all I get out of it is you don't like elites and you shouldn't schedule them because you will lose. Seems like you are trying to give a different message which is great but that my take away and I bet it is others take away too. "

No the problem is I don't agree with you and you cannot stand it.

I can't help how you take it. That's all on you.

No chit. That's the point. If you can't grasp that I can't help you.

My messages have been consistent.

I'll say it one more time for those that are confused:
If you are a non elite you should not schedule elites. Period. There are non elites you can schedule that will help your sos just as much. 87% of the time you will lose and it helps keep elites in the natty. And keeps you and the rest of us out.

Are there times non elites can win? Of course. But you saying "cal won the natty" does not prove much. Go look at the other 90% of champions.

I bring facts and stats. You bring opinion, and misinformation.

If you need to schedule 2 elites a season that is your choice. But the numbers say you will go 0-2 for two seasons and might go 1-1 the third. I know there are exceptions.

It's just not smart.

But... whatever. I'll keep talking about it. Get on board or don't. I'll defend my opinion until I hear a cogent argument against.
You ignore some of the most importent points and pick and choose what to respond to so what the point of making any argument.

I keep telling you I'm not upset and you keep trying to spin it like I'm going nuts over here and ****** that I dont agree with you. I'm giving my opinion stop trying make up my intent and my emotion behind the words.

Stop taking single sentences and quoting them out of context.

Once again not understanding the point but like you said thats a you problem I guess.

The funny thing about you quoting this part of a sentence is I referencing something you said lol. My exact reaction when you said on your podcast to stop scheduling games you know you will lose and have no chance is was "no ****".

2/27/2017 3:31 PM
That's was the last response from me. I will be having coaches on the TD and friends show to give there thoughts and insights. Coaches who have dominated at elites and non elites. They have first hand experience with this topic and give their honest opinion and ideas.
2/27/2017 3:33 PM
Leahy Arizona State University. During season 126, I scheduled Penn St and Texas for OOC. During the offseason, I was fortunate enough to land the Tennessee job. Tinytide, lost those two, plus USC and another, but his WIS ranking was 14 and got a level four bowl and did not lose job status. I may have lost those 3 matchups, no telling, but I did have one of the top QB's and felt I could compete.
127 tinytide 10-4 7-1 3-2 6-2 14
126 lyonzfan37 12-2 7-1 4-1 7-1 5
If you don't get to a level four bowl, you are rolling the dice on a single game while you are in jeopardy, if you get to a level three. Sometimes you need the elites, just like they need you.
2/27/2017 3:45 PM
What are the most important points that I am missing?

I have no problem addressing those points.

Don't think your ******. What I think is you can't handle people that disagree with you.

We saw it with your Alek beef. No matter what he says you feel the need to hop on and have the last word. Even when he post in world's that you have nothing to do with. It turned petty.

That's a you problem. Same here.

You come on my post and turn it negative. I'm not taking your bs.

Saying I'm crying and making excuses for losses is not true. Opinions are like *** holes? Then keep em to yourself and leave my post.

you turn it personal when you go negative. Me saying you are "establishment" is no reason to go in on me.
2/27/2017 3:57 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.