Defining "Elite" and "BCS" Topic

Three questions from a GD noob.

As near as I can tell we don't have Prestige in GD like we do in HD, From what I have read, though, there seems to be some sort of differentiation of a small group of top teams from other near-top teams in GD which gets them called "elites." This seems to be built in and does not float with actual W-L record. (1) Right so far?

I saw a list of teams called "elite" in another thread, as follows:

ACC: FSU
ACC: Miami
Big 10: Nebraska
Big 12: Texas
Big 12: Oklahoma
Big 10: Michigan
Big 10: Ohio St
Big 10: Penn St.
Big 10: Notre Dame
Pac 10: USC
SEC: LSU
SEC: Alabama
SEC: Florida
SEC: Tennessee
and arguably Rutgers, Big East
(2) Right so far?

(3) Evidently some D-1A conferences are "BCS" and this places them above other D-1A conferences which are not "BCS." If this is correct, can anyone tell me which conferences are "BCS?"

Thank you.
2/27/2017 5:27 PM
ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, SE, Pac10 = BCS
Rutgers is not officially considered an Elite, but because of its proximity to good recruiting areas, has historically done well. and drawn good coaches.
The other 14 you mentioned are considered elites.
2/27/2017 5:43 PM
It doesn't work like HD, but in GD school prestige does fluctuate based on recent success, mostly the last 4 seasons
2/27/2017 5:59 PM
I thought Boston College was considered more close to being an elite as you can be without being an elite in comparison to Rutgers
2/27/2017 6:30 PM
Posted by ez37 on 2/27/2017 5:43:00 PM (view original):
ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, SE, Pac10 = BCS
Rutgers is not officially considered an Elite, but because of its proximity to good recruiting areas, has historically done well. and drawn good coaches.
The other 14 you mentioned are considered elites.
Correct old man. If you can't land an elite or don't want one Rutgers and UCONN are among the best of the rest due to the rich recruiting grounds. I consider Boston College in that group as well.

I will add that each Power Conference receives an automatic bid to a Level 5 bowl, the top tier. This also makes The Big East an attractive place since they don't have an official elite that you have to compete against. I'm hoping to do this very soon with the UCONN team that I just grabbed.
2/27/2017 6:36 PM
Defining "Elite" and "BCS" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.