Limiting minutes with fatigue Topic

Is it even possible?

Short version is the 10th man on my roster has a Stamina 10-25 better than my front 9. He's playing too many minutes at 3rd on the depth chart. Everyone is set for "fairly fresh" so, when he gets in the game, he stay "fairly fresh" too long and is getting 19 minutes when I was hoping for 12.

I think my only option is to use minutes and the weird *** substitutions that come with it or live with him getting 6-8 minutes more per game than hoped.
3/1/2017 1:09 PM
Set the guys ahead of him to getting tired, if the difference is great. That will help. You can also limit the exposure of scrubs by playing slowdown.

3/1/2017 1:13 PM
Is that how the substitutions on the depth chart work for the "fatigue" method?

I assumed that once a guy on the depth chart above the guy currently in the game had rested sufficiently, he would be put back in the game at the next clock stoppage. I didn't think/realize that substitutions would only be made when the current guy reaches his fatigue level.

That's not intuitive if that's how it works. Or very smart.
3/1/2017 1:20 PM
you could try moving him to 4th on the depth chart with the 3rd slot open - that tends to reduce minutes also - see what has the desired effect for you
3/1/2017 1:21 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/1/2017 1:20:00 PM (view original):
Is that how the substitutions on the depth chart work for the "fatigue" method?

I assumed that once a guy on the depth chart above the guy currently in the game had rested sufficiently, he would be put back in the game at the next clock stoppage. I didn't think/realize that substitutions would only be made when the current guy reaches his fatigue level.

That's not intuitive if that's how it works. Or very smart.
No, your interpretation is right, as far as I know. The guys ahead of him will normally get back in the game once rested to the level you've set them at, which is why moving them to getting tired, and playing slow down works to limit minutes of guys you want to hide. The exception is if they're in foul trouble, but you can adjust for that, too (adjust from normal to leave in longer for guys ahead of him on the depth chart, on foul trouble drop down from player game plan page).
3/1/2017 1:31 PM
So my problem might not be that he's so much higher stamina than the others that he stays on the court, it's that they're too tired to get back out there?

Honestly, I'm not sure that makes sense to me. My 82 SF starts and tires. My 65 SF comes in(I get his minute problem). Then the 87 SF comes in. It seems to me that 82 would recovery somewhat sufficiently early in the 87 SF's shift out there. I'll have to look closer at the PBP, 82 SF is #2 PF, but it would seem to me that once the 82 SF is ready, he'd move back to SF(his listed position) and the #3 PF would come in fresh and replace the not-tiring-quickly-enough-but-not-100% SF.

It certainly could be my depth chart if I'm not understanding the sub patterns properly.
3/1/2017 1:47 PM
He's the only guy I'm not understanding as far as minutes. I'm more confused now with him than I was 40 minutes ago.
3/1/2017 1:50 PM
Another thing you can do is change his foul preference to "take out quicker" -- it won't have an effect in all games, but it might shave a couple minutes here and there. Dropping down to 4th on the depth chart with an opening at 3 is also a good suggestion above.
3/1/2017 1:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/1/2017 1:47:00 PM (view original):
So my problem might not be that he's so much higher stamina than the others that he stays on the court, it's that they're too tired to get back out there?

Honestly, I'm not sure that makes sense to me. My 82 SF starts and tires. My 65 SF comes in(I get his minute problem). Then the 87 SF comes in. It seems to me that 82 would recovery somewhat sufficiently early in the 87 SF's shift out there. I'll have to look closer at the PBP, 82 SF is #2 PF, but it would seem to me that once the 82 SF is ready, he'd move back to SF(his listed position) and the #3 PF would come in fresh and replace the not-tiring-quickly-enough-but-not-100% SF.

It certainly could be my depth chart if I'm not understanding the sub patterns properly.
I don't put any of my starting 5 anywhere in the depth chart other than as the starter for their position. I figure that if they're in the game, I only want them playing in their primary position.

The other 7 are scattered among multiple backup roles.

Without digging through any of your PBP, I'd guess that your #3 SF is staying in there longer than you want because your #1 SF came back into the game at a different position and your #2 SF is still tired.
3/1/2017 2:08 PM

If your top SF is also getting minutes at another position, that affects the pattern. Now your high stamina scrub is not a true #3 on the depth chart. In either case, the best way to limit minutes of the 87STA SF, if that's your ultimate goal, is going to be to set all the guys on the D.C. ahead of him to play more tired. There are a lot of more complicated methods you'll figure out for yourself as you experiment, but you can start with that.

I often arrange 4 man classes. When I have, say, 8 upperclassmen and 4 freshmen, and I want the 8 to get a much bigger portion of the minutes, I'll have my 3 non-starting upperclassmen rotate as the #2 in all spots on the depth chart. Usually works out to be a guard as #2 PG and SG; a swing as the #2 SF, AND #3 SG and PF (or more often #3 pg and SG in a 3-2); and a big as #2 PF and C. Then distribute the rest of the slots to the freshmen, as befits their skills. When I do that, I pay attention to the stamina of the sets of starters who "share" a backup. If one of the set has more stamina, I'll set him to "getting tired" and leave the other as fairly fresh. In that way, I maximize the minutes that 2 of my top 3 guards and bigs are on the floor with each other.
3/1/2017 2:09 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 3/1/2017 2:09:00 PM (view original):

If your top SF is also getting minutes at another position, that affects the pattern. Now your high stamina scrub is not a true #3 on the depth chart. In either case, the best way to limit minutes of the 87STA SF, if that's your ultimate goal, is going to be to set all the guys on the D.C. ahead of him to play more tired. There are a lot of more complicated methods you'll figure out for yourself as you experiment, but you can start with that.

I often arrange 4 man classes. When I have, say, 8 upperclassmen and 4 freshmen, and I want the 8 to get a much bigger portion of the minutes, I'll have my 3 non-starting upperclassmen rotate as the #2 in all spots on the depth chart. Usually works out to be a guard as #2 PG and SG; a swing as the #2 SF, AND #3 SG and PF (or more often #3 pg and SG in a 3-2); and a big as #2 PF and C. Then distribute the rest of the slots to the freshmen, as befits their skills. When I do that, I pay attention to the stamina of the sets of starters who "share" a backup. If one of the set has more stamina, I'll set him to "getting tired" and leave the other as fairly fresh. In that way, I maximize the minutes that 2 of my top 3 guards and bigs are on the floor with each other.
Ironically I've set up depth chart similar to this and as tec. I tend to cascade toward PG (1) and C (5), where my #1 SG(2) might be the 1st backup to PG(1), and #1 PF(4) might be the 1st backup to C(5).
3/1/2017 4:37 PM
I made some adjustments based on the recs here and he was limited to 16 minutes in frenetic 95-88 win. But my 3rd string C got 11 minutes when I'd like him to have more like 5. It's definitely my depth chart. .
3/2/2017 9:27 AM
Limiting minutes with fatigue Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.