Conference battles Topic

The Big 12 is looking at battling BOTH the Big East and SEC conferences in Smith. We will set up specific weeks for each battle. Final matchups and locations will be posted here after the conference regular season.

I will post updates on the process on this thread. As I am new to this aspect, I am open to any suggestions.
3/5/2017 11:24 AM
We did this with the MWC when I was in the A10 and it was a blast. Hardest thing is making sure everyone is on the same page with scheduling so the sooner you can get the matchups out the better.
3/5/2017 6:36 PM
This sounds like it could be really fun. It may be tough getting everyone but we should be able to get several match ups in any given year.
3/5/2017 6:43 PM
I didn't realize it but my schedule is already full. I do play Oklahoma though every year - toknowpepsi is my son. But, the following year, I don't mind adding another game against the Big 12.
3/5/2017 11:12 PM
Thanks for organizing this FTB. I only have 1 opening for next year, but I've already scheduled Auburn and Mississippi State. After this season ends, let's go ahead and figure out the matchups for the following year so that we can schedule as soon as we are able to do so.
3/6/2017 1:16 AM
I will post the matchups as soon as the conference regular season ends this season. Scheduling will start when the schedules are freed up at the start the new season. Each Big 12 team will have one home and one road game per season in the format (i.e. if you are home against the Big East team you will be on the road against the SEC team and if you are the road against the Big East team you will be at home against the SEC team)

Week 5 will be the Big 12-Big East battle

Week 8 will be the Big 12-SEC battle
3/6/2017 4:04 PM (edited)
We should try to schedule the SEC vs Big East too.
3/6/2017 11:04 PM
Big 12 vs Big East (week 5) #1 Tie 3-3

1. #7 Oklahoma 58 at #6 UConn 54
This was a heavyweight title fight from the beginning between Oklahoma (toknowpepsi) and UConn (chapelhillne). UConn fed off the crowd and got off to hot starts in each half but the depth of scoring of Oklahoma was the difference. Oklahoma's 1-2 punch of Marcus and Picket was joined by Bruno for 3 players in double figures compared to one (Cerda) for UConn. Player of the Game was SG Cedric Marcus (Oklahoma) with 20 points 2 assists and one steal.

2. Providence 63 at Iowa St. 55
Iowa State (Clone77) and Providence (starrider19) were looking for a signature win over a major conference opponent after being shocked earlier this season with a loss to a mid-major. Providence scored first and never trailed in this one thanks to a very efficient offense (only 8 turnovers) and solid inside play. Iowa State kept it close with a barrage of three pointers into the teeth of the defense but it wasn't enough. Player of the Game was PF Eric Coachman (Providence) with 18 points 14 boards 1 assist 1 steal 1 block

3. #8 Texas at #14 Pittsburgh
Cancelled. Game not scheduled.

4. Cincinnati 77 at #25 Texas A&M 83 OT
This was a back and forth game with no more than 6 points separating the teams throughout regulation. The stars came out to play. Cincinnati (Sim) was led by SG Albert Burden and Texas A&M (pjeleson) was led by their star SF Walter Falcon. In many matchups like this it is the role players that make the difference and it was Rafael Quiroga in a 30 second span in overtime that decided the game with a three pointer followed by a steal that led to another basket and turned a 73-72 deficit into a 77-73 lead. Player of the Game SF Walter Falcon 31 points 4 boards 1 assist 2 steals.

5. #9 Oklahoma State 77 at Louisville 65
Oklahoma State (awhoosier) has been on a roll to start the season and nothing changed on this night. Early foul trouble hurt Louisville (jbob23) and Oklahoma State pulled away on a 14-2 run to end the first half for a 40-26 halftime lead. Louisville never got closer than 10 the rest of the way. Player of the Game was SG Phillip Swanberg (Oklahoma State) with 23 points 3 boards 3 assists 2 steals

6. Rutgers at #19 Kansas State
Cancelled. Rutgers (alebear). K-State (drob321)

7. #23 Baylor 76 at St. John's 85
St. John's (chaltain) closed the first half with a 17-8 run to lead 44-38 at the half. Baylor (ftbeaglesfan) never had the lead again. St. John's put on a clinic in shooting 61.8% from the field and 66.7% (8/12) from beyond the arc. Player of the Game was PG Edward Johnson with 15 points 3 boards 5 assists 3 steals.

8. Missouri 50 at Villanova 71
Villanova (Sim) came out hot at home and pounced on Missouri (mschulte24) early. Villanova used their experience, depth, and home court advantage to overcome the disparity in coaching for the victory. A huge rebounding deficit (36-21 overall and 13-6 on the offensive glass) sealed Missouri's fate in this one. Player of the Game was SG Clyde Vogelsberg (Villanova) with 16 points 1 board 4 assists 1 steal.
6/21/2017 1:37 PM (edited)
Big 12 vs SEC (week 8) #1 Tie 3-3

1. #2 Kentucky 60 at #5 Oklahoma 72
Oklahoma (toknowpepsi) and Kentucky (cimmy426) both rolled in undefeated. Oklahoma stayed that way. POY candidate Cedric Marcus was 'slowed' to 15 points but the Sooners rolled out their other weapons and played soul crushing defense all night. Kentucky shot .346 from the field. Player of the Game was Oklahoma's PG Dominic Bruno with 18 points 1 board 2 assists 3 steals

2. Iowa State 44 at #1 Alabama 68
Alabama (jeffdrayer) came out dominating the boards early and took control of the game from the outset in this matchup with a blazing 23-8 run to open the game. Iowa State (Clone77) was out rebounded 35-19 and shot only 5 of 20 from beyond the arc as they just didn't have the magic tonight. Player of the Game was Alabama's SG Sammy Hooks with 17 points 4 boards 3 assists 2 steals.

3. #15 Tennessee 45 at #10 Texas 60
Tennessee (cjok1051) and Texas (manonde01) were looking forward to this matchup. Tennessee was prepared for a close game. They weren't prepared when Texas exploded for a 21-9 run early in the first half. From there on these two formidable foes traded blows the rest of the way but there never seemed to be a solid chance at an upset. The Longhorns looked like title contenders all day long. Player of the Game was Texas' C Edward Bovee 16 points 7 boards 1 assist 3 blocks

4. Texas A&M at Mississippi State
Cancelled. Not scheduled.

5. #9 LSU 66 at #13 Oklahoma State 61
Oklahoma St. (awhoosier) was looking to rebound from being shocked in their last game. LSU (alockwood86) has been rolling since their own upset loss earlier this season. Cowboys fans were deafening during warm-ups. The Tigers soon silenced the crowd by playing lockdown defense in route to a 22-7 lead midway through the first half. Oklahoma State fought their way back to tie it 58-58 with 1:13 left in the game. From there on LSU harassed Oklahoma State's shooters into bad shots and sealed the victory. Player of the Game was Louisiana State's PG David Johannes with 14 points 1steal

6. Kansas State at Arkansas
Cancelled. Not scheduled.

7. Auburn 72 at Baylor 87
Auburn (scottevans21) came in with the experience advantage in coaching and players. Baylor (ftbeaglesfan) had the home court. Both teams came out flying up and down the court in an exciting uptempo game. The Waco Wackos came out in full force and rocked the house from tip to buzzer. The fired up Bears rode the energy of the crowd all the way to victory. Opportunistic defense lead to easy buckets for Baylor. Player of the Game was Baylor's PG Bojan "Bam" Zam with 13 points 5 assists 2 steals 1 block

8. Georgia 63 at Missouri 41
Two relatively new coaches to their respective programs battled it out to begin the journey to greatness. Georgia (panapanthers) brought the edge in experience and players and was coming off their first loss of the season. Missouri (mschulte24) countered with home court and an X-Factor team after a purge of players from the old regime. The Bulldogs appeared tentative early against the zone and lead only 26-19 at the half. They figured it in the second half and Missouri's upset bid was squashed. Player of the Game was Georgia's SG James Hesser with 16 points 2 boards 2 assists 2 steals.
6/30/2017 8:31 PM (edited)
Sounds good. I will schedule as soon as I can.
3/9/2017 8:41 AM
I love it. We absolutely need to keep this going. ftbeaglesfan, thank you for setting this up. If we could match the SEC up with the Big East it would be perfect!
3/9/2017 9:31 PM
If the SEC and Big East want to complete the cycle by matching up, I can do that off this setup easily. Just need a week for your games and an agreement from people from both conferences to do it....
3/10/2017 3:22 PM
Recieved a question on this so I am providing clarification- Extra human teams are paired up with the top sim teams from the other conference. Those games are optional.
3/10/2017 3:25 PM
Man, Kentucky always scares me. That will be an intense match-up!
3/11/2017 2:32 PM
Keeping the same matchups. New coaches will be added in next rotation. This gives them a chance to have some of their own players
3/25/2017 8:57 PM
1234 Next ▸
Conference battles Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.