Gene Henry

I took over an abandoned team. Gene Kelly had spent 12 games DHing in the early part of the season. I get pitchers in the field carries a heavy hit, but this is ridiculous. 12 games DHing, and he's only at 32% after almost 70 games. At this rate, those 12 games will cost him an entire season. That seems pretty dumb.

Pitchers hit in the NL all the time with no consequence. But because this AL pitcher DH'd and never even took the field, he suffers a hit like this? Makes zero sense.
3/12/2017 8:49 PM (edited)
Did you account for all the time he spends singing in the rain?
3/10/2017 9:23 PM
This is old news. Pitchers and position players have different recovery models. If a guy accrues playing time as a position player, he will fatigue and recover like a position player.
3/10/2017 10:07 PM
I get that. But DH is hardly playing a position. A pitcher in that world already had 100 IP and 38 AB in the NL and he's fine. My guy has 0 IP, 0 innings in the field and 47 AB in the same number of games and is at 32%. We're supposed to believe ABs in the AL magically exhaust a pitcher that much while NL ABs are totally fine?
3/11/2017 1:15 AM
This is one of those elements that the game plays differently than real life. Pitchers are going to fatigue differently just because they are pitchers.
3/11/2017 8:33 AM
Posted by cebola on 3/11/2017 8:33:00 AM (view original):
This is one of those elements that the game plays differently than real life. Pitchers are going to fatigue differently just because they are pitchers.
I understand that. But in this specific example, it's just really dumb to have an AL pitcher pay such a harsh penalty for swinging a bat, when NL pitchers do it constantly with no penalty. In this case, a pitcher is fatiguing differently than other pitchers.
3/11/2017 9:53 PM
He's not paying a penalty for swinging a bat. He's not even getting a penalty, per se. He's fatiguing as a position player with a durability of 31. His fatigue level dropped to 19. That's a long way for a position player to come back from, because he fatigued as a position player and is now recovering as a position player.
3/11/2017 10:36 PM
Look, the situation is that no player with Dur of 31 should ever even appear in 12 games in a row, in any capacity.

The fault is in whatever logic that Simmy uses to determine that when a team is abandoned, existing players get shuffled into whatever lineup positions are available till SPs are DHing or playing regular positions. Capable players from AAA, AA, even HiA should be promoted to fill roster slots. Unless, I suppose maybe the entire organization was depleted enough that there were maybe 15 players available at every level.

3/12/2017 11:45 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It may be by design. I think it's not. I think it's just really crappy AI. This wouldn't be the only part of the game where the AI is really awful. But, even if you assume that it's by design, when someone takes over an abandoned team there ought to be some relief for the new guy.
7/4/2017 9:14 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/11/2017 9:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cebola on 3/11/2017 8:33:00 AM (view original):
I understand that. But in this specific example, it's just really dumb to have an AL pitcher pay such a harsh penalty for swinging a bat, when NL pitchers do it constantly with no penalty. In this case, a pitcher is fatiguing differently than other pitchers.
"I understand that, but..." = I am deliberately refusing to understand
7/5/2017 11:53 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.