Posted by MikeT23 on 3/14/2017 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/14/2017 5:18:00 PM (view original):
"A n00b signs up. He gets the team he picked." (1) He lives with his choice. Or (2) he reads the forums and quickly learns this is the place to whine. (1) The former sticks around because he is man enough to accept that his choices have consequences. (2a) The latter either sticks around and whines or (2b) leaves, looking for freebies elsewhere.
Or he just becomes part of the background noise with Only.
Spud, I'm going to do something that most around here don't. I'm going to ask you a direct question so you can answer it directly rather than just insult you for being unable to stay on topic.. Just answer the question asked. Don't make me regret this.

Do you think it would be a good idea to allow NEW users who select a team PRIOR to RS2 to actually recruit players? It's a yes/no question.
I did regret this.
3/16/2017 11:05 AM
One quick fix, would be that no Sim squad signs a recruit during part one. Then no player cuts would need to be made by New Coaches. However you still must address the Coaches "changing" jobs who get to recruit for their new teams, and "Brand New" Coaches who cannot recruit for their first season. The reason of throwing them into recruiting blind would hold more water in my mind, if it were not for the fact when I first started playing HD (2.0 in about 2010) the FIRST action you took with your new team was to recruit. YES the process is more complex, but still recruiting right off the bat (during actual part two) is absolutely no different then the structure that has been in place for years under 2.0.
3/16/2017 1:50 PM
Or just allow coaches to cut players signed by a sim in period 1. With full resources given for period 2.

Not technically for new coaches but for job changes allow the option to bring any recruits signed in period 1 from previous team over to your new team when moving up (so no signing D1 recruits at Villanova and then moving to D3 and bringing those recruits but allow recruits from C+ D1 to move to your new D1 job, that would also help since moving jobs especially at D1 makes it hard to bring anyone in)

Decision to remove coaches ability to recruit right away was terrible from the beginning. Nothing better than first hand experience. Putting off letting new coaches recruit doesn't do anything to make them better it just delays their recruiting lol.
3/16/2017 2:05 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 3/16/2017 1:50:00 PM (view original):
One quick fix, would be that no Sim squad signs a recruit during part one. Then no player cuts would need to be made by New Coaches. However you still must address the Coaches "changing" jobs who get to recruit for their new teams, and "Brand New" Coaches who cannot recruit for their first season. The reason of throwing them into recruiting blind would hold more water in my mind, if it were not for the fact when I first started playing HD (2.0 in about 2010) the FIRST action you took with your new team was to recruit. YES the process is more complex, but still recruiting right off the bat (during actual part two) is absolutely no different then the structure that has been in place for years under 2.0.
Simmy not signing in 1st period would create a bigger disparity between SIM/human teams. After all, not all SIM teams will be taken by humans before RS2. Maybe not fill rosters would work so users taking them over would be able to recruit at least ONE player. Or maybe have SIM leave two slots if available. But that's probably a lot of programming.

Just let people recruit when they take over before RS2. They can cut players.
3/16/2017 2:24 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 3/16/2017 1:50:00 PM (view original):
On the surface, that sounds great. But the downside to that would be that all the human coaches would sign all of the better "willing to sign early" recruits during session one, leaving a lot of crap left for the SIMAI's and new coaches in session two. The rich get richer, etc.

One can argue that humans are already signing the better early recruits over the SIMAI coaches in session one, but they still have to put in at least a moderate effort ($$$) to knock off the SIMAI's in a battle. If you take SIMAI's completely out of the picture in session one, then they're now putting fewer resources in to get the same players at that time, and thus have more resources available in session two. Unintended consequences.
3/16/2017 2:30 PM
so you mean that human coaches would get ahead of SIMs

and that is a problem because?

those SIMs are unlikely to be paying customers
3/16/2017 2:55 PM
Beating up on the sim teams isn't a whole lot of fun for me. Can't speak for everyone.

But SIM teams being worse can't be a good thing. After all, we want humans to take them.
3/16/2017 3:30 PM
What Mike said. Too much of a disparity would not be good for when a new coach comes and takes over a SIMAI team and finds himself miles behind the other real people in his conference.
3/16/2017 3:36 PM
Mike - I thought you wanted to give new coaches the ability to recruit

3/16/2017 3:58 PM
I do. They could rescind scholarships if there are no openings when RS2 begins.
3/16/2017 4:13 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/16/2017 3:36:00 PM (view original):
What Mike said. Too much of a disparity would not be good for when a new coach comes and takes over a SIMAI team and finds himself miles behind the other real people in his conference.
This is already happening in 3.0 for D3 coaches.

Brand new coaches introduced to HD with no previous experience (the ones that HD 3.0 is suppose to attract and was the primary focus of this update) find themselves unable to recruit in their first season AND find themselves taking over a previously controlled SIMAI team that is way behind any of the long-term D3 coaches (who now have been recruiting upper D2 and even low-mid teir D1 prospects).

That gap has now widened a lot in HD 3.0 over where it was in 2.0.
3/16/2017 4:27 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/16/2017 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/16/2017 3:36:00 PM (view original):
This is already happening in 3.0 for D3 coaches.

Brand new coaches introduced to HD with no previous experience (the ones that HD 3.0 is suppose to attract and was the primary focus of this update) find themselves unable to recruit in their first season AND find themselves taking over a previously controlled SIMAI team that is way behind any of the long-term D3 coaches (who now have been recruiting upper D2 and even low-mid teir D1 prospects).

That gap has now widened a lot in HD 3.0 over where it was in 2.0.
Has it widened? How would you measure that? I get the premise that theoretically it's widened because parked veteran D3 coaches can now get a higher quality of 1st year freshman. But in reality, veteran D3 coaches have always had an enormous advantage over brand new players. And in the previous version, high prestige D3 teams still had access to players that new players couldn't touch. At least now, they all have access to everyone.

Is the new system making the learning curve longer or shorter for new players? To me, that's the more important question.
3/16/2017 5:09 PM
pkoopman, only and myself had a spirited debate on that in Benis' Capping D3 thread... Interesting read at times.
Back on topic. All for allowing new coaches recruiting in RS2. I just wonder what level recruits they'll be able to grab, especially given that most agree the recruits have been really picked over by the time the second signing period starts. This gets amplified when the coach has moved up from what I've heard. For a brand new coach, I'm not convinced the results will be all that good, again, given the level of recruits that will be available for them to choose from. Not sure how you remedy this issue. Otherwise, you'll end up with sub standard players that newbies will either be stuck with for four seasons, or they'll have to cut later without getting the resources to replace them right away. But maybe I'm off base.
3/16/2017 5:25 PM
I don't think it's the fact they will recruit great players but that they will recruit their OWN players. Plus they get experience. So the next season they have some clue of what's going on. There is zero downside to this.
3/16/2017 5:33 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/16/2017 5:33:00 PM (view original):
I don't think it's the fact they will recruit great players but that they will recruit their OWN players. Plus they get experience. So the next season they have some clue of what's going on. There is zero downside to this.
While I'm not sure you had to say it twice, you did nail it.

They probably won't get great players. I got two guys who'll be bench warmers their entire careers, a sub-standard JUCO who did contribute some and, the crowning jewel, a guy who might set the school scoring record. While 3 aren't much to speak of, they're mine. Problem is, I didn't get to use any of them until my 2nd season.
3/16/2017 6:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.