"Look, I don't actually care if they throw newbies into the deep end or not. I have no investment in the success of HD. If it fails, life goes on. "
-CoachSpud/l80r20
3/17/2017 7:33 PM
And I don't think it's some major programming nightmare. When you change jobs, you can recruit in the second session. Seems like a change to "When you take a job before RS2, you can recruit."
3/17/2017 7:36 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/17/2017 7:33:00 PM (view original):
"Look, I don't actually care if they throw newbies into the deep end or not. I have no investment in the success of HD. If it fails, life goes on. "
-CoachSpud/l80r20
Three possibilities there, and since it applies to the whole to the whole topic of the whole thread, clearly on topic:
1. Bevis stupidly failed to quote the whole post and ignorantly lost the context and the meaning.
2. Bevis deliberately failed to quote the whole post, deliberately obscuring the context and the meaning.
3. Bevis is man enough to quote the whole post, showing the context and the meaning. I doubt he can meet that standard, but hey, Mike, give him the chance.
3/17/2017 9:09 PM (edited)
Since one guy seems to have lost his ability to read the English language, one last bit of help ...

"Recruiting their own players gives the less opportunity to learn. Huh? What? Say that again." Nope, that's not the argument, and you either accidentally (I had a less polite word there) or deliberately changed it.
One side of the argument is that as it stands right now, a new coach, totally new to the game, gains a half season or so of learning about the game first hand before being thrown into the deep end of recruiting, and he benefits from that learning experience prior to the first day of recruiting. I consider this a position in favor of a coach who has the benefit of some learning experience. The other side of the argument prefers that the brand new coach be thrown into the deep end of recruiting from day one, totally inexperienced. I consider this an argument favoring ignorance.

Of course, when anyone thinks about it they will realize there is a ton of ignorance on this site, especially concentrated in the forums, so I am not surprised that I am in the minority favoring learning experience over ignorance.
3/17/2017 10:15 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bathtubhippo on 2/12/2017 8:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 2/11/2017 11:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 2/11/2017 10:12:00 AM (view original):
I just sent this ticket to WIS - what do you guys think?

I have a suggestion. It will help your revenues, and just makes sense. Why not combine the new coach signups with the job change periods? Basically do away with the new coach sign up period. It is a pause in the game for a lot of players that are ready for the next season. But the biggest advantage to the change would be that it would allow new coaches to recruit in the second session to start building their team, instead of having to rely on the sim to finish recruiting. It gives them "some" ownership of their new team. By deleting the two day new coach sign up period from the calendar, you turn the worlds over two days faster, which would increase revenues by about 4% to 7%, since people will be paying for a shorter time period, while still getting the full value of what they are paying for. It would also be nice, once a coach signs up for a team, if they could at least see the team for the rest of the year, even if they could not do anything with it.
"But the biggest advantage to the change would be that it would allow new coaches to recruit in the second session..."

One of the biggest whines in the forums is how difficult it is for experienced coaches to learn how to recruit in the second period. (Well, that's a sanitized version -- they don't own their own failure, they blame the game). Either way, you now propose throwing newbies into the deep end? Bwahahahahaha. That doesn't seem to be doing them any favors, does it?
ultimately, do you think there is much difference between flailing at the second recruiting session vs letting the sim recruit junk you'll have to cut anyway? worst case you don't know what you're doing and you end up with players that are still no worse than what the sim hands you, really, right?
"Look, I don't actually care if they throw newbies into the deep end or not. I have no investment in the success of HD. If it fails, life goes on. But throwing newbies into recruiting the week they start the game is a sure-fire bad experience for them. Giving them a season or even a half season to learn makes a lot more sense."

LOL, there's the part the little guy isn't man enough to post. The conversation in this thread isn't the first time this topic has been discussed, and maybe not the last, even though it is a dead horse.
3/17/2017 11:47 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/18/2017 12:02:00 AM (view original):
"Look, I don't actually care if they throw newbies into the deep end or not. I have no investment in the success of HD. If it fails, life goes on. But throwing newbies into recruiting the week they start the game is a sure-fire bad experience for them. Giving them a season or even a half season to learn makes a lot more sense."
Bold print, little print ... little hands. WTF are you turning this thread that mike is so proud of into?
3/18/2017 2:14 AM
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/17/2017 10:15:00 PM (view original):
Since one guy seems to have lost his ability to read the English language, one last bit of help ...

"Recruiting their own players gives the less opportunity to learn. Huh? What? Say that again." Nope, that's not the argument, and you either accidentally (I had a less polite word there) or deliberately changed it.
One side of the argument is that as it stands right now, a new coach, totally new to the game, gains a half season or so of learning about the game first hand before being thrown into the deep end of recruiting, and he benefits from that learning experience prior to the first day of recruiting. I consider this a position in favor of a coach who has the benefit of some learning experience. The other side of the argument prefers that the brand new coach be thrown into the deep end of recruiting from day one, totally inexperienced. I consider this an argument favoring ignorance.

Of course, when anyone thinks about it they will realize there is a ton of ignorance on this site, especially concentrated in the forums, so I am not surprised that I am in the minority favoring learning experience over ignorance.
Again, in HBD, "fresh out of the egg" users are allowed to sign FA. Some of them do really dumb ****. They either eat their mistake and learn from it, drop HBD altogether or drop that team and take a new one. But they get the FULL EXPERIENCE of HBD and learn faster. HD is diminishing the learning process AND failing to hook new users by making them play with someone else's roster.

This is super uncomplicated. But we know you're just being a contrarian troll. It's your thing.
3/18/2017 7:44 AM
"One side of the argument is that as it stands right now, a new coach, totally new to the game, gains a half season or so of learning about the game first hand before being thrown into the deep end of recruiting, and he benefits from that learning experience prior to the first day of recruiting. I consider this a position in favor of a coach who has the benefit of some learning experience. The other side of the argument prefers that the brand new coach be thrown into the deep end of recruiting from day one, totally inexperienced. I consider this an argument favoring ignorance."

I understand your opinion. I just don't share it. I guess we'll have to leave it at that. 'bye.
3/18/2017 3:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.