Everything Old is New Again Topic

I am back to play out my last few teams and I just made my first serious OL entry in over a year. I have som observations about the salary structure since dynamic pricing began.

Pitching:
There is now a hyperbolic relationship between $/IP and (OL) projected ERA. Alternatively one could also characterize a pretty liner relationship between IP/$ and projected ERA.

Some players are obviously better values than others, but for the most part the bargains are gone. The best value pitchers continue to be deadball era. The few bargains that exist are less than 50 ip/ season guys or players with high ip/ season and low ip/ game.

Interestingly, 1908 Joss went from the greatest pitching bargain to one of the worst overpay in the sim.
His 1903 clone continues to be a good deal though.

One can still build an low oavg, low bb/9, low hr/9 staff for under $40M, but in far fewer ways (and far less effectively) than 18 months ago.

Hitters:
While the most popular bargains are now mostly overpays, there is a lot of inefficiency in the market.

People still vastly undervalue defense and many of the extremely cromulent defensive players, are still good deals if not outright bargains.

Switch hitters are still undervalued compared the their less dexteritous counterparts. However the gap is closing.

The best values for offense seem to be in the 300-400 PA range. Because of this, one probably should consider splitting a position when drafting for an OL.

3/12/2017 7:26 PM
Paul Waner '36 is a ok example
6/2/2017 10:18 AM
I've been using more part time hitters. Platooning wasn't in style so the part timers with value didn't see much if any salary increase. Pitching is about finding the overlooked second tier pitchers, and increasingly about using those pitchers who don't "fit the mold" of a normal looking team. The end result is my rosters are more odd looking than ever. Dynamic salary adjustment may have started out as a good idea but the formula doesn't know when to quit.
6/2/2017 4:38 PM
popular opinion is no gauge of truth
6/2/2017 6:14 PM
Everything Old is New Again Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.