Posted by zorzii on 3/13/2017 7:48:00 AM (view original):
Isenhour (on the fence), Williams(on the fence), Gridley (likely staying). I had 40 ap, first session and I replaced the player who was leaving (1 scholly). With about one day left, once I had signed my new player, I started building efforts with 20 ap on a late player (could not get to give a scholly). I decided Williams (guard) was the most likely to leave since he was on the board as a soph also.

This is dumb.

How am I suppose to accept my team goes from a potential NT contender to a pretender? What's the strat if your faith is a random thing?

I could accept this random if I had a chance to prepare for it. I don't. I won't be able to build any traction to more than one player...

Fix this. And face the facts, it's killing the game and the fun of the game.

That's brutal. The good news is you will have a starting center named Jesus. Maybe that will help... or not.
3/13/2017 11:49 AM
I think the use of "random" is what annoys me the most. We know from supersloth that top 20 at their position out of HS are what's on the board in his world. We know the ratings of every player on that board. We know that team success is a modifier. Yet people keep saying "random" like we're talking about 13 y/o girls making shoe decisions. It's a program using numbers to decide. It is not random.
3/13/2017 11:52 AM
Posted by possumfiend on 3/13/2017 11:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 3/13/2017 11:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Yes, zorzi, it is relevant. If you recruit guys, you should know they might declare early. It's a choice you're making. Now, if you want to say "I had no idea any of those three would declare early", I'm not going to believe you.

As someone mentioned earlier, you're buying a luxury product then complaining about the price. Yet head off to the store to buy another.

EE is not some great mystery. Everyone should know which players are likely to declare early. And they should know the consequences. This is no surprise today.
Hell yeah I am surprised. But I knew they could leave. But if you followed closely since you are arguing outside the discussion, you would know that I am only saying that we need to be able to react to this. And if you are good in math, the probability something like that hapoens, my situation was probably 1 out of 40, maybe less.
You CAN react and replace them in 2nd cycle but are choosing not to, why is that? My guess is it is because you don't think your available options are good enough (comparable?) to help you win a championship.
20 ap three cycles won't open anything! What are you talking about? I don't have the ap.
3/13/2017 11:57 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/13/2017 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/13/2017 11:39:00 AM (view original):
The equivalent for HBD would be if WIS decided that at the end of every MLB season, they would pick a dozen elite MLB talent and they would instantly retire (regardless of how many contract years they had remaining) in the name of fair competition. I wonder how that would go over...
Very poor analogy.

In the real world, elite baseball players typically don't retire and walk away from their contracts. However, also in the real world, elite underclassmen often do leave their programs early to turn pro.
I wasn't trying to make an analogy. I was pointing out what would be equivalent.

There is no comparison between HBD (since it is suppose to represent PRO MLB level so players have no where to go) and HD (which represents college hoops and players go EE to turn pro which has no NBA dynasty equivalent).

If I was trying to make an analogy it would be then to take the top 10 minor leaguers and have them go play overseas instead of wallowing in the minors, but that would still not effect they immediate chances to play for a HBD title now (maybe in the future).
3/13/2017 11:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bathtubhippo on 3/13/2017 11:33:00 AM (view original):
in HBD you have half a dozen players that rarely see the field and a full slate of minor leagues so it's a lot easier to have backups....not analogous at all IMO.
This is complete and utter bullshit.

Great players don't just fall off the trees in HBD. You don't replace great players at the drop of a hat.

But, using your logic, HD has like a 1000+ D1 recruits. Just grab any one of them when you lose an EE. My HBD team only has about 170 players. HD gives you 6 times as many options.
but mike I'm not talking about replacing great players with great players. I'm talking about being able to replace great players with replacement-level players, ie, not walk-ons or total slugs. and that's all D1 coaches are asking for here! you are arguing off to the side of the main debate. same with the idea of "randomness." what players become EEs is not really random, but when EEs leave is random. and replacing them with literally anyone worth playing is a real struggle sometimes.
3/13/2017 12:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:52:00 AM (view original):
I think the use of "random" is what annoys me the most. We know from supersloth that top 20 at their position out of HS are what's on the board in his world. We know the ratings of every player on that board. We know that team success is a modifier. Yet people keep saying "random" like we're talking about 13 y/o girls making shoe decisions. It's a program using numbers to decide. It is not random.
Its called RNG for a reason (that stands for RANDOM Number Generator). So the RANDOM refers to *which* elite recruits are staying (not that WIS is just randomly picking any recruits off rosters).

Keith Devitt (#14 on the big board likely going) decides to stay for his SR season, Michael Handley (#46) does not (nor does Clifton Jones (#47) off that same TAMU squad.

3/13/2017 12:07 PM
Just have them announce earlier. Why does anyone have a problem with that?
3/13/2017 12:09 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/13/2017 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Just have them announce earlier. Why does anyone have a problem with that?
I don't think anyone does. Seble was the only one that had a problem with that during beta because postseason success played a factor in his precious EE magic formula. Although I don't know how it affects it since I have seen championship teams barely get hit with EE and 2nd rd teams lose 2+ guys EE.
3/13/2017 12:12 PM
Posted by zorzii on 3/13/2017 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by possumfiend on 3/13/2017 11:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 3/13/2017 11:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Yes, zorzi, it is relevant. If you recruit guys, you should know they might declare early. It's a choice you're making. Now, if you want to say "I had no idea any of those three would declare early", I'm not going to believe you.

As someone mentioned earlier, you're buying a luxury product then complaining about the price. Yet head off to the store to buy another.

EE is not some great mystery. Everyone should know which players are likely to declare early. And they should know the consequences. This is no surprise today.
Hell yeah I am surprised. But I knew they could leave. But if you followed closely since you are arguing outside the discussion, you would know that I am only saying that we need to be able to react to this. And if you are good in math, the probability something like that hapoens, my situation was probably 1 out of 40, maybe less.
You CAN react and replace them in 2nd cycle but are choosing not to, why is that? My guess is it is because you don't think your available options are good enough (comparable?) to help you win a championship.
20 ap three cycles won't open anything! What are you talking about? I don't have the ap.
I thought all recruiting actions opened on the 2nd to last cycle? I'm guessing there is not 1 player in that group you'll find worthy.
3/13/2017 12:15 PM
at D1, the players left at that point are either worse than walk-ons or worse than having the cash next season
3/13/2017 12:18 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 3/13/2017 12:18:00 PM (view original):
at D1, the players left at that point are either worse than walk-ons or worse than having the cash next season
But didn't you just get done arguing that all D1 guys are looking for is "replacement" players. There are guys available late who are clearly better than walk-ons some may even turn out to be very serviceable D1 guys (although most will not) if you're willing to take a bit of a gamble.
3/13/2017 12:27 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/13/2017 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/13/2017 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/13/2017 11:39:00 AM (view original):
The equivalent for HBD would be if WIS decided that at the end of every MLB season, they would pick a dozen elite MLB talent and they would instantly retire (regardless of how many contract years they had remaining) in the name of fair competition. I wonder how that would go over...
Very poor analogy.

In the real world, elite baseball players typically don't retire and walk away from their contracts. However, also in the real world, elite underclassmen often do leave their programs early to turn pro.
I wasn't trying to make an analogy. I was pointing out what would be equivalent.

There is no comparison between HBD (since it is suppose to represent PRO MLB level so players have no where to go) and HD (which represents college hoops and players go EE to turn pro which has no NBA dynasty equivalent).

If I was trying to make an analogy it would be then to take the top 10 minor leaguers and have them go play overseas instead of wallowing in the minors, but that would still not effect they immediate chances to play for a HBD title now (maybe in the future).
Well, there actually is but it's not that relevant.

At rollover, your pending FA will say whether or not they're willing to sign. However, after world approval, that message can change from "Will sign" to "Testing FA no matter what". I tell people to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Sort of like I would for EE.
3/13/2017 12:30 PM
meh, I disagree. i don't consider what's left on the final day to be replacement-level for D1. for D2, absolutely. but not for D1. I'm looking right now in Tark....I have 3 scholarships open for my SC team...and I don't consider any of the guys left to be worth signing. to me replacement level for a solid D1 team means they should be at least able to get around 80 in most cores. otherwise, I will do better off taking the walk-ons and having 3 more scholarships open to start the next season with more AP.
3/13/2017 12:32 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 3/13/2017 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bathtubhippo on 3/13/2017 11:33:00 AM (view original):
in HBD you have half a dozen players that rarely see the field and a full slate of minor leagues so it's a lot easier to have backups....not analogous at all IMO.
This is complete and utter bullshit.

Great players don't just fall off the trees in HBD. You don't replace great players at the drop of a hat.

But, using your logic, HD has like a 1000+ D1 recruits. Just grab any one of them when you lose an EE. My HBD team only has about 170 players. HD gives you 6 times as many options.
but mike I'm not talking about replacing great players with great players. I'm talking about being able to replace great players with replacement-level players, ie, not walk-ons or total slugs. and that's all D1 coaches are asking for here! you are arguing off to the side of the main debate. same with the idea of "randomness." what players become EEs is not really random, but when EEs leave is random. and replacing them with literally anyone worth playing is a real struggle sometimes.
I signed the 140something and 160something PG last year. Are you telling me they're worse than walk-ons? That they couldn't bridge a gap for a season? Just play 4-8 minutes per game. If you want to look, WCSU, Hudnall and Grindstaff.
3/13/2017 12:33 PM
I can't see the potential, but it looks to me like those guys are no better than what I'd get for walk-ons at D1
3/13/2017 12:35 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...10 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.