Posted by Benis on 3/13/2017 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Why do so many people who don't play D1 care so much about rules pertaining to only D1?
as wardo would say "+1"
3/13/2017 11:24 AM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 3/13/2017 11:23:00 AM (view original):
see, this is why i was getting feisty in the other thread. it's easy to say, if you recruit top 20 guys, then there is a chance they're gonna go EE. but that's not helpful information. the problem is predicting WHEN they'll go, ie, when you need to plan to replace them during recruiting. one year? two? three? that's the puzzle. that's what makes some of these EEs impossible to work with under HD3's current system.
Since I'm not in D1, this is the best comparison I can make.

In HBD, players have health ratings and HBD actually has injuries. More to pitchers in my experience. However, some low health guys play for years with no, or minor, injuries. So, if there's a great player in FA with a health rating of 22, you're taking a chance. There is no way to predict if/when he will be injured. But you better have a contingency plan.

So, IMO, if you're recruiting top 20 at their position, you better start making contingency plans.

Or, after the fact, you can come to the forums and complain about how unfair you're being treated.
3/13/2017 11:27 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cburton23 on 3/13/2017 10:48:00 AM (view original):
This is why I left DI. The argument is to recruit worse players? That is what you should do when you get EEs, is make your team worse? If you don't see why this is stupid, I don't even know what to say, other than I'm becoming convinced Mike is in some way compensated by WIS for positive comments.
No, the argument is to expect great players to leave early. And, if that's a problem for you, you don't want those guys. Or too many of them.

You can recruit top 5 players at every position for all I care. I, and many others, just aren't going to be very sympathetic with your plight when they play 2 seasons and leave.
Pointless argument.
3/13/2017 11:32 AM
in HBD you have half a dozen players that rarely see the field and a full slate of minor leagues so it's a lot easier to have backups....not analogous at all IMO.
3/13/2017 11:33 AM
Problem is in order to compete at high level D1, luck plays a huge part of whether your team is properly equipped to compete for NC.

I just lost the NC game versus Kansas last night. Lost 2 EEs as a result but Kansas lost FOUR (and he only had 8 players that were any good). It will be very difficult for him if not impossible to defend next season.

But those 4 were elite and he was lucky enough not to get hit with EEs last season so he was able to compete this season.

As long as WIS is too vague about who is going and who is leaving, they either need to make all elite recruits usable out of HS (i.e. B or better IQ across the board) or give us the resources to replace them on equal footing.
3/13/2017 11:34 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Yes, zorzi, it is relevant. If you recruit guys, you should know they might declare early. It's a choice you're making. Now, if you want to say "I had no idea any of those three would declare early", I'm not going to believe you.

As someone mentioned earlier, you're buying a luxury product then complaining about the price. Yet head off to the store to buy another.

EE is not some great mystery. Everyone should know which players are likely to declare early. And they should know the consequences. This is no surprise today.
Hell yeah I am surprised. But I knew they could leave. But if you followed closely since you are arguing outside the discussion, you would know that I am only saying that we need to be able to react to this. And if you are good in math, the probability something like that hapoens, my situation was probably 1 out of 40, maybe less.
3/13/2017 11:36 AM
The equivalent for HBD would be if WIS decided that at the end of every MLB season, they would pick a dozen elite MLB talent and they would instantly retire (regardless of how many contract years they had remaining) in the name of fair competition. I wonder how that would go over...
3/13/2017 11:39 AM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 3/13/2017 11:33:00 AM (view original):
in HBD you have half a dozen players that rarely see the field and a full slate of minor leagues so it's a lot easier to have backups....not analogous at all IMO.
This is complete and utter bullshit.

Great players don't just fall off the trees in HBD. You don't replace great players at the drop of a hat.

But, using your logic, HD has like a 1000+ D1 recruits. Just grab any one of them when you lose an EE. My HBD team only has about 170 players. HD gives you 6 times as many options.
3/13/2017 11:45 AM (edited)
Posted by zorzii on 3/13/2017 11:36:00 AM (view original):
Yes, zorzi, it is relevant. If you recruit guys, you should know they might declare early. It's a choice you're making. Now, if you want to say "I had no idea any of those three would declare early", I'm not going to believe you.

As someone mentioned earlier, you're buying a luxury product then complaining about the price. Yet head off to the store to buy another.

EE is not some great mystery. Everyone should know which players are likely to declare early. And they should know the consequences. This is no surprise today.
Hell yeah I am surprised. But I knew they could leave. But if you followed closely since you are arguing outside the discussion, you would know that I am only saying that we need to be able to react to this. And if you are good in math, the probability something like that hapoens, my situation was probably 1 out of 40, maybe less.
You knew that they could leave but you were still surprised?

Say that out loud.
3/13/2017 11:41 AM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/13/2017 11:34:00 AM (view original):
Problem is in order to compete at high level D1, luck plays a huge part of whether your team is properly equipped to compete for NC.

I just lost the NC game versus Kansas last night. Lost 2 EEs as a result but Kansas lost FOUR (and he only had 8 players that were any good). It will be very difficult for him if not impossible to defend next season.

But those 4 were elite and he was lucky enough not to get hit with EEs last season so he was able to compete this season.

As long as WIS is too vague about who is going and who is leaving, they either need to make all elite recruits usable out of HS (i.e. B or better IQ across the board) or give us the resources to replace them on equal footing.
Exactly. I will play small ball next season with a 63 ath center anchoring the kids. We will be like the Fighting Illinis of old. Or, I will be able to poach a C+ or less D1 team hanging by the late recruiting session and getting unlucky while I go all-out on his perfect recruiting strat he planned carefully. It won't be fair for him. Or I move to UNC or Michigan State
3/13/2017 11:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2017 11:41:00 AM (view original):

You knew that they could leave but you were still surprised?

Say that out loud.
1 out of 40. Maybe more. Aren't you surprised? Mike : where is your logic?
3/13/2017 11:45 AM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/13/2017 11:39:00 AM (view original):
The equivalent for HBD would be if WIS decided that at the end of every MLB season, they would pick a dozen elite MLB talent and they would instantly retire (regardless of how many contract years they had remaining) in the name of fair competition. I wonder how that would go over...
Very poor analogy.

In the real world, elite baseball players typically don't retire and walk away from their contracts. However, also in the real world, elite underclassmen often do leave their programs early to turn pro.
The randomness and not knowing before recruiting is the major issue. I could care less about having guys leave early, they should leave early if they are that good, but give the coaches the resources before recruiting period 1 so they have a chance. Just have the guys declare then. I don't get why in the hell it is taking WIS so long to figure this thing out. Having EE's is not the problem, not getting any resources for them is. Clemson having 3 EE's while the entire SEC in that world only has 1 (8 underclassmen on the board and only 1 left early) further shows just how big of a crapshoot it is.
When I know something could happen, and it does, I am not surprised. You know why? Because I knew it could happen.
3/13/2017 11:46 AM

You CAN react and replace them in 2nd cycle but are choosing not to, why is that? My guess is it is because you don't think your available options are good enough (comparable?) to help you win a championship.
3/13/2017 11:48 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...10 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.