Recruiting in Div 1 Topic

I'm back in Div 1 after a 100 season break. I took over a winless Army team and hoping to learn on the fly.

Just wondering how much recruiting effort is needed to knock off a SIM team in Div 1??

Also wondering if it matters if the SIM is a high prestige DIV 1 (Big 10, SEC, etc) or lower DIV 1 program??

3/13/2017 12:59 PM
1) If its me and a sim I can turn him green with 5 CV. When I use 3 it seems to be 50/50 if he turns green or if we continue to battle.

2) No. Does not matter. What matters is if you let the sim hang around too long it gets more and more difficult to turn them green. Turn em green early. Messed up many times because I let the sims hang around too long and drained my funds.

GL.

I am happy to answer any other questions in a sitemail or here.
3/13/2017 1:17 PM
Thank you chrondon!!
3/13/2017 1:22 PM
The prestige of the sim school most definitely matters. It is much easier to knock mid major sim schools than it is bcs sim schools.
3/13/2017 1:52 PM
Thanks awags
3/13/2017 2:33 PM
are you serious chrondon? 5 CV's in D1 to turn a player green? I must be doing something seriously wrong
3/13/2017 3:35 PM
Posted by polarsi on 3/13/2017 3:35:00 PM (view original):
are you serious chrondon? 5 CV's in D1 to turn a player green? I must be doing something seriously wrong
I also am scratching my head because most D1 recruits have three SIMs on them and I have been sending 15 CVs to knock them off. Even that is sometimes not enough and requires more on the following cycle.
3/13/2017 4:52 PM
I think typically in DIV 1 when I was there last it was 7 or 8 CV's to knock off 3 sims. I was at Alabama at the time. I might have been able to turn a guy green after 6 maybe a couple of times. But it was usually in the 8 range.
3/13/2017 5:07 PM
Wow this getting more interesting by the post. thanks everyone. :)
3/13/2017 6:12 PM
The reason you're getting N number of answers for N coaches who respond is because they're each painting an individual aspect of recruiting with a very broad (too broad, in fact) brush. Saying "I can spend X number of CVs to knock off Sims" is overly simplistic and incredibly misleading, because it entirely lacks the necessary context. Let me assure you that there is no single number of CVs to "green" a recruit at ANY level. Let me explain why...

There are a great number of factors which influence the amount of effort that it takes to "green" a recruit. Among them:

- Number of recruit actions (CV, HCHV, PT, etc)
- Timing of recruit actions (earlier actions count as more effort toward the recruit)
- Diminishing returns of recruit actions (the first CV counts more than the second which counts more than the third and on and on...)
- Position of the recruit
- Positional rank of the recruit
- Number of Sims the recruit is considering
- Type of Sims (Elite, Non-Elite BCS, non-BCS, D-IAA) the recruit is considering
- Prestige - within each type - of the Sims the recruit is considering (this is sort of wrapped up in the type, but also adjusts based on recent success)
- Prestige of your school
- Coaching effects - here I mean Coaching Reputation

This is just off the top of my head. Surely I'm forgetting something. On top of all of this, there is a hidden factor - call it randomness or whatever - which determines how open a recruit is to your school. This exists because over my many seasons, I've seen the "same" recruit (position, rank, considering, etc) take more or less to "green" than other instances.

I can generally tell you, given the above factors, how much it'll take to "green" a recruit and it varies wildly. Play around with it and find out what it takes. I would kindly disregard anyone who tells you it's going to take X number to knock off a Sim, who hasn't asked you for the relevant context before answering.
3/13/2017 7:02 PM (edited)
Posted by gt_deuce on 3/13/2017 6:26:00 PM (view original):
The reason you're getting N number of answers for N coaches who respond is because they're each painting an individual aspect of recruiting with a very broad (too broad, in fact) brush. Saying "I can spend X number of CVs to knock off Sims" is overly simplistic and incredibly misleading, because it entirely lacks the necessary context. Let me assure you that there is no single number of CVs to "green" a recruit at ANY level. Let me explain why...

There are a great number of factors which influence the amount of effort that it takes to "green" a recruit. Among them:

- Timing of recruit actions (earlier actions count as more effort toward the recruit)
- Diminishing returns of recruit actions (the first CV counts more than the second which counts more than the third and on and on...)
- Type of Sims (Elite, Non-Elite BCS, non-BCS, D-IAA) the recruit is considering
- Prestige - within each type - of the Sims the recruit is considering (this is sort of wrapped up in the type, but also adjusts based on recent success)

This is just off the top of my head. Surely I'm forgetting something. On top of all of this, there is a hidden factor - call it randomness or whatever - which determines how open a recruit is to your school. This exists because over my many seasons, I've seen the "same" recruit (position, rank, considering, etc) take more or less to "green" than other instances.

I can generally tell you, given the above factors, how much it'll take to "green" a recruit and it varies wildly. Play around with it and find out what it takes. I wouldn't listen to anyone who tells you it's going to take X number to knock off a Sim, who hasn't asked you for the relevant context before answering.
Good post.

As usual, lots of other alternative facts posted. Bad !
3/13/2017 9:21 PM (edited)
As a new guy recruiting in Div 1 then is there something posted to give me some recruiting tips at this level??

There aren't many undecided to easily pick up like the lower divisions.
3/13/2017 8:46 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 3/13/2017 7:02:00 PM (view original):

I can generally tell you, given the above factors, how much it'll take to "green" a recruit and it varies wildly. Play around with it and find out what it takes. I would kindly disregard anyone who tells you it's going to take X number to knock off a Sim, who hasn't asked you for the relevant context before answering.
I just learned a lot. Thank you
3/13/2017 9:10 PM
Just wanted to ask one more time:

As a new guy recruiting in Div 1 then is there something posted to give me some recruiting tips at this level??

Also wondering about anything I could read about improving my game planning??
3/14/2017 1:13 AM
Posted by epc0023 on 3/14/2017 1:13:00 AM (view original):
Just wanted to ask one more time:

Also wondering about anything I could read about improving my game planning??
Here are some D1A recruiting pointers:

In season 1, you are at a severe disadvantage because you don't have any bowl bonus money. I would avoid battles with human coaches in year 1 - Every time I break this rule, I regret it.

If coaching a Non-BCS: In year 1, I wouldn't spend any money until after the 2nd cycle. At that point, for each available scholarship you have, identify a recruit that it is either undecided, or is only considering SIMS or D1AA human coaches. Added bonus is if the recruit is a borderline D1A player only considering D1AA SIMS. So if you have 12 scholarships, you should identify 12 players that fit this criteria. What you are going for is only spending money on these 12 players and getting them all green. Everyone has a different strategy as to what it takes to get a guy green, but keep in mind that the game allots $15k per scholarship at the D1A level. Get him green for less than that, and you’ve done well. If it takes more than that, then you are dipping into your $15k allotment of another scholarship.

If coaching a BCS team: In year 1, do as above, except, I think you are safe to go after some players at the end of the 1st cycle if they are very close to your campus. So if you have 12 scholarships, maybe go for 6 after cycle one, and 6 after cycle two. Remember, the key in year 1 is not wasting any money on a recruit you don’t get.

In year 2+, you have bowl money. Therefore, I would move the advice set out above up one cycle. So if at a Non-BCS, don’t start until after Cycle 1, and if at a BCS, then only go (at most) for half your scholarships before cycle one, and half after cycle one. Inevitably, you will end up in battles at D1A, but you must pick them wisely.

This doesn’t take into account growth potential, which is important, but not as important at D1A as it is at lower levels. I personally don’t spend money scouting players just to determine their growth potential at D1A. I consider it a bonus if a player is high potential, or it could be the difference between which player I’ll battle for if two players have similar ratings.
3/14/2017 5:32 PM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting in Div 1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.