Using a punter as a placekicker Topic

Hey guys, I was just wondering would it hurt my team a lot if i only had a punter on my team and no kicker? Would the punter be used as a kicker? Would he be any good at it? Thanks.
3/13/2017 11:26 PM
Talk to Gt_deuce, one of the best coaches at all levels in the history of the game. He swears by it.
My own advice is if you do this recruit a punter with as high Tech as you can that also has decent strength. Make sure he is high growth but dont worry bout WE. That will grow fast enough.
Ive done that a lot. I find it works pretty well but he usually kicks fg's about 10 percent less accurately than a good pure kicker. Which is pretty good if you can grow another player in the empty K roster spot.
Just added: And don't forget to train the punter in punting and kicking. I usually put about 30 points into each and 30 into strength. Spread the rest around to grow Conditioning, Film Study(GI) and Agility(ath).
3/14/2017 7:41 AM (edited)
Thanks, mojo. You're too kind.

I only carry P. Unless I inherit a team, then I only carry a K as long as it takes for him to graduate, so I can replace him with a P.

P do K duties better than K do P duties. The extra roster spot is better spent developing depth and/or a RS pipeline at some other position.
3/14/2017 12:37 PM
So, Vhoward, does that mean that you are also Gt_deuce ? (hence the Thanks?)
3/14/2017 12:52 PM
Posted by mojolad on 3/14/2017 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Yes, vhoward is currently gt_geuce but may be changed later back to the original vhoward. We all have multiple personalities.
3/14/2017 12:55 PM
Well that will make me dizzy(ier :)
3/14/2017 1:23 PM
Posted by mojolad on 3/14/2017 7:41:00 AM (view original):
Talk to Gt_deuce, one of the best coaches at all levels in the history of the game. He swears by it.
My own advice is if you do this recruit a punter with as high Tech as you can that also has decent strength. Make sure he is high growth but dont worry bout WE. That will grow fast enough.
Ive done that a lot. I find it works pretty well but he usually kicks fg's about 10 percent less accurately than a good pure kicker. Which is pretty good if you can grow another player in the empty K roster spot.
Just added: And don't forget to train the punter in punting and kicking. I usually put about 30 points into each and 30 into strength. Spread the rest around to grow Conditioning, Film Study(GI) and Agility(ath).
This shouldn't work. Kicking and punting practice time are **supposed** to be position dependent. I don't doubt it does work if you say it does. Your results speak for themselves Mojo (I think I am now 1-11 against you). I guess this is just another case of the developers telling us one thing and the game being another.

"quick, delete all the threads where we(developers) are on record saying anything definitive about this engine". I guess that plan worked lol.
3/14/2017 1:32 PM
Posted by mojolad on 3/14/2017 12:52:00 PM (view original):
I should just make a post explaining, since I am finding myself doing it still. Mostly, it's been in Wilkinson, since that's the only place I maintain this account.

Quick Version:

Vince (original vhoward415) decided to leave the game a while back. Left me (gt_deuce) to finish out his one season of GD and a couple seasons of HBD, so the teams would not "die". I did those duties and mothballed this vhoward account. Some time later, I wanted to get into Wilkinson, but didn't want to suffer the time it would take to go through the lower levels, so I pulled out the vhoward account and joined Wilk D-IAA.

Eventually, I wanted to consolidate back to a single account, so gt_deuce joined Wilkinson and I'm currently working my way up to take over for this vhoward account (my schools are at different levels AND opposite coasts; vhoward = Rutgers = DIA / gt_deuce = St. Mary's = D-IAA). Meanwhile, Vince (original vhoward) re-joined GD as howarddv. Once I make the leap to D-IA for my gt_deuce account, I'll retire vhoward415 from Wilkinson and hand the account back over to Vince to do with what he pleases.

But for now... gt_deuce = vhoward415. In a season or two more, this will no longer be the case.
3/14/2017 2:36 PM
Doh !!!!
3/14/2017 2:45 PM
Posted by vhoward415 on 3/14/2017 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Thanks, mojo. You're too kind.

I only carry P. Unless I inherit a team, then I only carry a K as long as it takes for him to graduate, so I can replace him with a P.

P do K duties better than K do P duties. The extra roster spot is better spent developing depth and/or a RS pipeline at some other position.
+1
3/14/2017 9:09 PM
Along these same lines, who would you rather have kicking for you? A good senior punter or a good freshman kicker?
3/15/2017 3:40 PM
Posted by GoldenHomer2 on 3/15/2017 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Along these same lines, who would you rather have kicking for you? A good senior punter or a good freshman kicker?
Well, if we've learned anything in the preceding posts, it's that the answer is never Kicker.

Kickers. Not even once.
3/15/2017 4:27 PM
The voice of dissent: Ok, maybe not dissent but another opinion. On some of my teams I have taken to recruiting Kickers with high Strength and as high a tech as I can get; high growth. I figured his kicking would be better and they tend to average punting in high 30's . 37-38 , not bad for a better kicker.
It's working out ok. So I would say either way K or P you can win with if you recruit them correctly; K with high strength and P with high Tech.
3/15/2017 4:37 PM
Posted by mojolad on 3/15/2017 4:37:00 PM (view original):
The voice of dissent: Ok, maybe not dissent but another opinion. On some of my teams I have taken to recruiting Kickers with high Strength and as high a tech as I can get; high growth. I figured his kicking would be better and they tend to average punting in high 30's . 37-38 , not bad for a better kicker.
It's working out ok. So I would say either way K or P you can win with if you recruit them correctly; K with high strength and P with high Tech.
hrmm, I thought it was the other way around. Tech more important for kickers and strength for punters
3/15/2017 6:05 PM
I only carry a kicker or punter. Never both. Whenever it is time to recruit one, I typically find the highest rated and go with him. Leave yourself without a kicker and punter and watch how well your QB does in the exb. games. That may help you decide.
3/15/2017 6:29 PM
12 Next ▸
Using a punter as a placekicker Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.