Fastbreak distribution Topic

That seems okay. I do something similar but with a bigger difference. My distro usually looks something like

000000's
3/15/2017 12:39 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/15/2017 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Yep.

I'm just wondering if my "individual" approach to distribution is hurting me in terms of efficiency as opposed to the "team" approach that shoe was talking about. I don't think it is, but am looking for a sanity check from a more experienced coach.
I do it similar to shoe and get the "right" results wrt distribution. I was way off at one point, 80/20 with S/B, and one of my bench guys was shooting a crazy amount. But he was 10 with a bunch of 0-5 when he played.
3/15/2017 1:42 PM
I just look at my Fastbreak distro for my last two games and it was:

1@13
5@5
2@1

and
1@10
4@5
1@3
2@1
3/15/2017 2:39 PM
Once you get more guys into your system, you can actually run it with no distribution.

I ran this for 5 seasons in a row at San Francisco and was able to lead D1 (or be in the top 2) in team scoring. In my last season there, I had 7 guys averaging double figures for a large portion (18-20 games) of the season.

Now, if you have a guy at D2 that is head and shoulders better than the opposition, I'd take a serious look at distribution.
3/15/2017 3:44 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/15/2017 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 3/15/2017 11:02:00 AM (view original):
I think it's generally accepted that there is a point where a players high distribution starts to hurt his efficiency. I don't think anyone's pinned down what that threshold is, or if one formally exists, or if it differs by the sets being run, and the players involved.

I try not to have any one guy set for over 20% of the teams total distribution number (so 20, if my teams total distribution is 100, 10 if distro is 50, 5 if it's 25, etc). Then I break it into starters and bench, and try to keep him also below 33% within that set. If my teams total distro is set to 100 (which I never do, but hypothetically) my starters may have 60, to 40 for my bench. So I'm still keeping that top guy at or below 20. In my triangle sets, that might shake out to something like 20-16-16-8-0. With FB or motion, it's more likely to look like 16-12-12-12-8. Or maybe 16-16-16-12-0 if I'm hiding a freshman in the starting lineup. But as I said before, I don't get too rigid with how many scorers I have. I decide on a game by game basis, according to my players 1st, and expected matchups 2nd.
I'm doing distribution a little differently, so what you've posted here is a bit confusing and making me wonder if my understanding of how distribution works is back-asswards.

Rather than working with the team on a scale of 100, I'm working with each individual player on a scale of 1-5, where 5 is going to be my primary scoring threat, 4 is a guy I feel pretty comfortable with shooting, down to 1, who is a "rarely shoot" guy (maybe out there for defense only).

For my current team in Rupp, I have 11 active players (one RS). My starting 5 are set with distribution of 4-4-4-2-2. The guys on my bench are 3-3-3-2-1-1. That's a total of 29 (16 for the starters, 13 for the bench).

My understanding of distribution is that it depends on the current mix of players on the floor. So for instance, with my starting 5 (4-4-4-2-2), I have three guys who are each getting 25% of the the distribution (4 out of 16), and two who are each getting 12.5% (2 out of 16). If one of my 4's come out and is replaced by a 3 (i.e. 4-4-3-2-2), the numbers change a bit (26.6%, 26.6%. 20%, 13.3%, 13.3%).

So I'm not looking at distribution as a factor into total shots taken by the player during a particular game, but as the likelihood that he'll be taking shots at a point in time while he's on the floor with the other 4 guys.

I'll also adjust based on my opponent's defense If they have strong inside defense, I may drop down the distribution a bit for my post players and bump it up a notch for my perimeter shooters. Or vice-versa.

Am I missing anything?
Sorry, I thought I was clear, but I kind of glazed over it. No, your way is fine, and in fact my FB/press ACU team currently is on a 0-4 scale, similar to what I recommended for Mike's Lander. I almost never go close to 100. Only when I have a very veteran team whose scorers are *very* distinct from non-scorers.

3/15/2017 4:56 PM
◂ Prev 123
Fastbreak distribution Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.