Latest it's ok to jump a recruit Topic

I personally don't like going after players that someone else has green. But with that said if they are green the first few cycles I think they are still fair game. And after 24 hours I won't touch them at all. So when is the latest it's ok to go after a player that another coach has done all the work on?
3/15/2017 8:37 PM
I hate to be a bad guy, but it's always ok until the recruit is signed. With that said, there are many times I would make the choice not to after someone's green recruit for some other reason - respect, future revenge, pity, etc.
3/15/2017 8:46 PM
Personally I don't go after guys after midnight the night before signings start, unless it's vendetta type stuff. The main reason I don't go after green guys in general, is because it's usually cheaper to get someone else just as good, not because of some unwritten code.
3/15/2017 9:01 PM
nortonis is definitely a bad guy. But I agree with him. Always ok. I save a war chest to counterattack when it happens to me. Sometimes I have backup recruits green. Sometimes the power goes out for a couple days, and I have to start late. Vacations. I see a coach has three other battles, and I think he can't defend. I had a Belgian Trippel, and what the f?ck? My dog's love me either way.
3/15/2017 9:05 PM
The #2 DB is in my backyard, and another coach has him green. I have 100k, it's midnight, boom, 75 CVs. Welcome, son, you'll love it here.
3/15/2017 9:07 PM
Great posts badaxe and I share your sentiments. I love the Belgian tripel line.
3/15/2017 9:22 PM
Phil, not sure if you're referring to me going after your DB on the afternoon before signings in Wilk or not but I will discuss my recruiting tactics.

At D-IAA I prefer to be conservative early and aggressive late. I have two reasons for doing this: 1) I want to have plenty of money in case someone does decide to battle with me and 2) I want to spend as little money as possible on a player that a D-IA may drop down to get. If I wait to go after the more elite players in my vision, I am less likely to have to tangle with a D-IA.

Keeping that strategy in mind, you can see how I have a decent chance of having a good chunk of change the day before signings. That's even more true with the 21 schollies I just had at SFA. Also, I can't roll any of that money forward because I'm not wanting to fill out my class because I want to even out my classes. Going after your player was nothing personal. He was the best safety in the 360 of my vision by my rating system. I can't remember if I went after him in the 3 pm or 6 pm cycle, but it definitely wasn't overnight. Before I used this approach, people would jump me all the time and usually win. I think my method may have seemed especially ruthless in this case due to the fact that I had a bunch of money and wasn't determined to fill my whole class.
3/15/2017 9:22 PM
D1AA high vision recruiting is good training for lower D1A recruiting.
3/15/2017 10:07 PM
Any time is fair game. As mentioned above...you might be better off going after another recruit, but if it you need to do it...go for it. I have, on a few occasions, jumped into a battle late, and signed a guy on the last cycle...who was previously green or yellow to another coach (coaches). This is pretty rare, but can happen.

In my time coaching...I only have ONE coach who is on my "**** list". I'm probably on many! :) But its not personal...its business.
3/16/2017 6:00 AM
Ask Hogly his opinion, he doesnt mind taking a recruit the last cycle before signings start!
3/16/2017 9:13 AM
wilkinson is different cause so many coaches. not only lots of action right up until signing but after signing as well.
3/16/2017 9:28 AM
If you don't put in enough effort to keep your recruit green through signings, that's on you if they get jumped.

Other coaches, even conference mates, aren't responsible for you allotting money elsewhere because you thought you were "safe."

This is Wilkinson...we aren't like any other world. There's over 70 coaches in 1A, over 50 in both 1AA and division 2. That means the recruit to coach ratio is exceptionally small compared to other worlds. There aren't enough recruits here for coaches to simply not go after a player because they're "green".

Lastly, if a recruit becomes yellow at the last minute, that does not mean the other school hasn't been recruiting since the first cycle. I've recruited players starting in the first cycle but the other coach always stayed one step ahead of me. Just before signings, I still had a pretty large pocket and just went all-in. That recruit went from green to "X" school to green for my program. I'm not going to just quit on a recruit because you turned him green first.

I hope I don't come across as mean, but if you want unwritten rules, go play baseball.
3/16/2017 9:38 AM
Thanks for the answers.
3/16/2017 11:11 AM
Phil: Congrats on a great recruiting class FYI.

nitros
3/16/2017 11:58 AM
Posted by cjsweat on 3/16/2017 9:38:00 AM (view original):
If you don't put in enough effort to keep your recruit green through signings, that's on you if they get jumped.

Other coaches, even conference mates, aren't responsible for you allotting money elsewhere because you thought you were "safe."

This is Wilkinson...we aren't like any other world. There's over 70 coaches in 1A, over 50 in both 1AA and division 2. That means the recruit to coach ratio is exceptionally small compared to other worlds. There aren't enough recruits here for coaches to simply not go after a player because they're "green".

Lastly, if a recruit becomes yellow at the last minute, that does not mean the other school hasn't been recruiting since the first cycle. I've recruited players starting in the first cycle but the other coach always stayed one step ahead of me. Just before signings, I still had a pretty large pocket and just went all-in. That recruit went from green to "X" school to green for my program. I'm not going to just quit on a recruit because you turned him green first.

I hope I don't come across as mean, but if you want unwritten rules, go play baseball.
If you don't think there are unwritten rules in football then you never played. Or were you the dude grabbing someone's package at the bottom of the pile? Just making a point. There isn't a exact written rule on this specific subject so everyone is going to let their perception guide them.

I believe in a world with more coaches you need to be careful of jumping someone late due to the possibility of a third coach getting in on the action for the same player and restarting the battle or pursuing a player you have green because you have reopened another recruiting battle and are expending more money.

Sorry for the run on sentence.
3/16/2017 12:04 PM
123 Next ▸
Latest it's ok to jump a recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.