Latest it's ok to jump a recruit Topic

Posted by gators06 on 3/16/2017 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjsweat on 3/16/2017 9:38:00 AM (view original):
If you don't put in enough effort to keep your recruit green through signings, that's on you if they get jumped.

Other coaches, even conference mates, aren't responsible for you allotting money elsewhere because you thought you were "safe."

This is Wilkinson...we aren't like any other world. There's over 70 coaches in 1A, over 50 in both 1AA and division 2. That means the recruit to coach ratio is exceptionally small compared to other worlds. There aren't enough recruits here for coaches to simply not go after a player because they're "green".

Lastly, if a recruit becomes yellow at the last minute, that does not mean the other school hasn't been recruiting since the first cycle. I've recruited players starting in the first cycle but the other coach always stayed one step ahead of me. Just before signings, I still had a pretty large pocket and just went all-in. That recruit went from green to "X" school to green for my program. I'm not going to just quit on a recruit because you turned him green first.

I hope I don't come across as mean, but if you want unwritten rules, go play baseball.
If you don't think there are unwritten rules in football then you never played. Or were you the dude grabbing someone's package at the bottom of the pile? Just making a point. There isn't a exact written rule on this specific subject so everyone is going to let their perception guide them.

I believe in a world with more coaches you need to be careful of jumping someone late due to the possibility of a third coach getting in on the action for the same player and restarting the battle or pursuing a player you have green because you have reopened another recruiting battle and are expending more money.

Sorry for the run on sentence.
There's a difference between assumed decent behavior and an unspoken rule of not recruiting fictional players, in a fictional game, that happen to be only considering one human coached school before signings.
3/16/2017 3:36 PM (edited)
Posted by cjsweat on 3/16/2017 3:36:00 PM (view original):
If you don't put in enough effort to keep your recruit green through signings, that's on you if they get jumped.

Other coaches, even conference mates, aren't responsible for you allotting money elsewhere because you thought you were "safe."

This is Wilkinson...we aren't like any other world. There's over 70 coaches in 1A, over 50 in both 1AA and division 2. That means the recruit to coach ratio is exceptionally small compared to other worlds. There aren't enough recruits here for coaches to simply not go after a player because they're "green".

Lastly, if a recruit becomes yellow at the last minute, that does not mean the other school hasn't been recruiting since the first cycle. I've recruited players starting in the first cycle but the other coach always stayed one step ahead of me. Just before signings, I still had a pretty large pocket and just went all-in. That recruit went from green to "X" school to green for my program. I'm not going to just quit on a recruit because you turned him green first.

I hope I don't come across as mean, but if you want unwritten rules, go play baseball.
If you don't think there are unwritten rules in football then you never played. Or were you the dude grabbing someone's package at the bottom of the pile? Just making a point. There isn't a exact written rule on this specific subject so everyone is going to let their perception guide them.

I believe in a world with more coaches you need to be careful of jumping someone late due to the possibility of a third coach getting in on the action for the same player and restarting the battle or pursuing a player you have green because you have reopened another recruiting battle and are expending more money.

There's a difference between assumed decent behavior and an unspoken rule of not recruiting fictional players, in a fictional game, that happen to be only considering one human coached school before signings.
Yet you threw real life baseball in the mix?...
3/16/2017 3:59 PM
Posted by hookemhorns7 on 3/16/2017 3:59:00 PM (view original):

Exactly what I was thinking hookem.
3/16/2017 4:10 PM
I had a few thoughts on the topic, but it got too long, so I put it on Wilk central as a blog post
3/16/2017 11:54 PM
Good blog post dachmann. I was a part of the angry crowd for the longest time when it came to greens turning yellow. However, I have learned to adapt and realize it is another part of this awesome game we play. I love recruiting in D1AA Wilkinson. It is an adventure every single time.
3/17/2017 6:34 AM
Ok I got the picture. I'm fine with it and now will be expecting it to happen. It was my first class and money was tight. I always tend to have plenty of cash at the end anyway. But hard to do without playoff money. Thanks for all the answers and go this season
3/17/2017 8:04 AM

Because the pettiness of the unwritten rules of a non-contact sport are equal to the pettiness of unwritten rules for a computer football game.
3/17/2017 8:57 AM
Posted by cjsweat on 3/17/2017 8:57:00 AM (view original):

Because the pettiness of the unwritten rules of a non-contact sport are equal to the pettiness of unwritten rules for a computer football game.
...?... hmm, ok
3/17/2017 9:11 AM
Posted by PhilFulmer98 on 3/17/2017 8:04:00 AM (view original):
Ok I got the picture. I'm fine with it and now will be expecting it to happen. It was my first class and money was tight. I always tend to have plenty of cash at the end anyway. But hard to do without playoff money. Thanks for all the answers and go this season
This has always been an issue in GD and there are a lot of people who don't recruit this way and a lot who do. It has always been a part of the game and I personally don't do it but I understand the logic and the argument behind those that do and have learned to get over it when it happens. GD has enough talent out there and that is why backups are always a good option.
3/17/2017 9:12 AM
Posted by hookemhorns7 on 3/17/2017 9:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by PhilFulmer98 on 3/17/2017 8:04:00 AM (view original):
This has always been an issue in GD and there are a lot of people who don't recruit this way and a lot who do. It has always been a part of the game and I personally don't do it but I understand the logic and the argument behind those that do and have learned to get over it when it happens. GD has enough talent out there and that is why backups are always a good option.
I know what you mean. I recruit with patience so I always have extra money. I only had 8k left so I couldn't battle but next season I'll have around 30k plus so it should be fun for all involved.
3/17/2017 11:17 AM

I'm pretty sure that grabbing someone's package is covered under the "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty. So the rule is written for it, but it is just missed because a ref in football can't catch everything.
3/17/2017 3:52 PM
I think I understand. Jumping on someone's recruit the night before signing is like grabbing someone's package at the bottom of the pile. Except when it's against the rules, like in football. Unless the ref doesn't see it, then grab away. However, most coaches think this game is a lot like baseball, where there are unwritten rules against package grabbing. Yet it still happens, so just be ready.

3/17/2017 5:12 PM
arcadecowboy both wins the thread and wins at life. Just saying.

nitros

3/17/2017 5:42 PM
Posted by arcadecowboy on 3/17/2017 5:12:00 PM (view original):
I think I understand. Jumping on someone's recruit the night before signing is like grabbing someone's package at the bottom of the pile. Except when it's against the rules, like in football. Unless the ref doesn't see it, then grab away. However, most coaches think this game is a lot like baseball, where there are unwritten rules against package grabbing. Yet it still happens, so just be ready.

3/19/2017 10:25 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 3/19/2017 10:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by arcadecowboy on 3/17/2017 5:12:00 PM (view original):

no, its nothing like that. not at all. the lightbulb is confusing because it seems to say that the guy is right.... the recruiting heist is not against the rules. not in real life, not in this game. grabbing twigs and berries at the bottom of a pile is unsportsmanlike behavior and against the rules 100% - no discussion. this thread is like 47 posts too long. its not against the rules and fine to do if you choose.
3/19/2017 10:55 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Latest it's ok to jump a recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.