The Pre Game Speech Topic

Men, all this stuff you hear about Coaches not wanting to run the ball, wanting to pass all the time, is a lot of bullshit. Coaches love to run. All real Coaches love the sting and clash of running the ball down the other team’s throat. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big-league ball players and the toughest boxers. Coaches love a running team and will not tolerate the forward pass. Coaches play to win all the time. That's why real Coaches have never passed and will never pass in a game. The very thought of passing is hateful to Coaches. Smash Mouth Football is the most significant competition in which a man can indulge. It brings out all that is best and it removes all that is base.

A running team is a real football team. It lives, eats, sleeps, and plays as a team. This quarterback and wide receiver stuff is bullshit. The bilious bastards who write that stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real football than they do about *******. And we have the best team—we have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. Why, by God, I actually pity these poor bastards we're going up against.

When you recruit a passing quarterback, he just wants to throw it all game long, and a defensive player will get him eventually. The hell with that. My players don't throw footballs. Passing only kills drives. Keep running. We'll win this game, but we'll win it only by running and showing the other team that we've got more guts than they have or ever will have. We're not just going to run over bastards, we're going to rip out their living goddamned guts and use them to grease the cleats of our shoes. We're going to rack up rushing yards on those lousy pass happy *********** by the bushel-*******-basket.

I don't want any messages from the huddle saying 'Let’s throw the ball, Coach.' We're not throwing a goddamned thing. We're running constantly and we're not interested in passing anything except the goal line. We're going to hold the defensive player his balls and we're going to run over his ***; twist his balls and kick the living **** out of him all the time. Our plan of operation is to run the ball and keep on running the ball. We're going to run through the secondary like **** through a tinhorn.

Then there's one thing you men will be able to say when your fake college football career is over. Thirty years from now when you're sitting by your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks, 'What did you do in the great Gridiron Dynasty?' You won't have to cough and say, 'Well, your granddaddy shoveled **** in Louisiana.' No sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say 'Son, your granddaddy ran the ball with the great Wishbone Offense and a son-of-a-goddamned-***** named Coach Harriswb3!'

All right, you sons of *******. You know how I feel. I'll be proud to lead you wonderful guys onto a football field anytime, anywhere. That's all.

3/16/2017 10:33 AM
Darrell Royal would be "PROUD"!
3/16/2017 11:27 AM
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
(Quote from Vince Lombardi)
3/16/2017 11:52 AM
Put me in coach.
3/16/2017 5:33 PM
"Practice does not make perfect...PERFECT practice makes PERFECT!! Vince Lombardi
3/16/2017 7:29 PM
Nice! I feel the Bone is making a comeback. Now if we can just get the engine to cooperate....lol...
3/16/2017 7:42 PM
Bring back the Single Wing and the Statue of Liberty Play :)
3/16/2017 9:58 PM
I, too, had that philosophy, but the game finally broke me and I conformed. Curse this engine!
3/16/2017 10:37 PM
Posted by chetty1963 on 3/16/2017 10:37:00 PM (view original):
I, too, had that philosophy, but the game finally broke me and I conformed. Curse this engine!
Chetty, I abandoned the Bone shortly after this engine rolled out. But, after about a 12 month hiatus, I came back and with a fresh set of eyes, I'm committed to making it work. Its been a slow process with a rebuild at D2, but its starting to click. I'm gonna give it about 6-8 more seasons to declare victory or defeat.
3/17/2017 9:48 AM
Posted by harriswb3 on 3/17/2017 9:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chetty1963 on 3/16/2017 10:37:00 PM (view original):
Chetty, I abandoned the Bone shortly after this engine rolled out. But, after about a 12 month hiatus, I came back and with a fresh set of eyes, I'm committed to making it work. Its been a slow process with a rebuild at D2, but its starting to click. I'm gonna give it about 6-8 more seasons to declare victory or defeat.
You will have to keep me posted. I am debating a bone experiment at DIAA in 2-3 seasons.
3/17/2017 9:56 AM
My San Diego team is 100% bone.

We need some time for the formation iq then we'll be ready to rock n' roll.
3/17/2017 10:32 AM
I admire you guys determination. I tried it a couple of times but gave up before really giving it time to build formation iq . Problem is the way Wis's AI automatically practices Trips, Pro, and I as well as 4-3, nickel and dime. Nothing wrong with those but IMO they should randomly mix it up so a fella trying a rebuild can pickup a team with the formations he wants. Also, why practice Pro AND I ? They both use and thus practice the exact same personnel !
3/17/2017 10:47 AM
Posted by albright73 on 3/16/2017 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Darrell Royal would be "PROUD"!
Texas may have ran it before them, but the Sooners "perfected" the Bone...
3/17/2017 12:22 PM
I agree aegsm76!! Oklahoma added the dimension of "outside speed" to the equation!! I can still see Greg Pruitt and Elvis Peacock (greatest name in college football history) simply outrunning the secondary!!
3/17/2017 1:32 PM
Posted by mojolad on 3/17/2017 10:47:00 AM (view original):
I admire you guys determination. I tried it a couple of times but gave up before really giving it time to build formation iq . Problem is the way Wis's AI automatically practices Trips, Pro, and I as well as 4-3, nickel and dime. Nothing wrong with those but IMO they should randomly mix it up so a fella trying a rebuild can pickup a team with the formations he wants. Also, why practice Pro AND I ? They both use and thus practice the exact same personnel !
That is an excellent post mojolad. In addition to being able to choose a team with the formations we want, we would have the benefit of being slightly more interested in how game works out when playing these different sims. They'd almost be like beta games. Can't imagine that that would be too hard to implement either........
3/17/2017 3:20 PM
12 Next ▸
The Pre Game Speech Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.