The Pre Game Speech Topic

Ditto (didn't want to be longwinded :)
3/18/2017 12:27 AM
The WB offense is my favorite in real life and I tested it extensively in this game in both version 2.0 and in 3.1. I proved to myself that a committed coach could build a WB team and reach dynasty status, but it takes a total commitment to WB only and WB forever in order to work. It takes at least twice as long to build a winning WB team as it does any other offense (At least for me) and it is always somewhat vulnerable because by nature it shortens the game, which leads to closer scores and the chance for last minute heroics by the opposition. Also, just like in real life, the WB is not normally a come from behind type offense.

In my experiments, I tried to make the WB a viable passing offense and was somewhat successful, and I do believe that this can be accomplished in this game. Successfully accomplishing this would give a WB team that come from behind dimension that could potentially add a lot more wins. It would also make the WB a lot harder to game plan for, which would have been a big plus for me. But having a run team powerful enough to gain significant yardage against top teams, and also having the great pass receiving capability got to be very tricky and complicated. I was continuously having to rearrange formations, playbooks and depth charts, sometimes in the middle of a game. There was just not enough game controls available to do everything that I needed to permit limited interaction on my part. With the current built-in limitations on formations, playbooks and depth chart lists there was just not room enough for everything, which should be an indication of the potential for the offense in the hands of a dedicated coach. Since it was costing me so much time and effort, and because I stayed confused a good part of the time lol, I just dropped the experiment at just under championship level.

I would recommend the WB to an experienced game planning coach with a lot of patience and who could commit to just running WB, if you are going to use other offenses, even in different worlds and at different schools you need to be good at multitasking. I couldn't keep things straight and thus I began to make both game planning and recruiting errors at my other schools lol. I love the WB though and I would really enjoy seeing someone put the effort into learning how to dominate with it in this game, I'm certain that it is possible for the right coach, given enough time and with the right roster.
3/18/2017 1:09 PM
On the other hand, I have won many an NC with an all ND team. Strange the ND and Wb are both mainly running formations in real life. But ND is much more flexible and easier implemented in GD.
3/18/2017 2:03 PM
Posted by mojolad on 3/18/2017 2:03:00 PM (view original):
On the other hand, I have won many an NC with an all ND team. Strange the ND and Wb are both mainly running formations in real life. But ND is much more flexible and easier implemented in GD.
Absolutely! I have just started my long awaited NDB experiment for the version 3.1 game engine. I have used it several times in 3.1 in a limited way, but this time I'm going to really put it through its paces and see what it can do. After this experiment, I will be done with all of the offensive formations until I get some other crazy idea to try. I have thoughts of one day of having a team for every offensive formation, all in different worlds and all at D1A schools. That sounds like a pretty good goal for some semi-retirement fun to me, especially if everything but recruiting was working in automatic or near automatic fashion
3/18/2017 4:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by pete_61 on 3/18/2017 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Absolutely! I have just started my long awaited NDB experiment for the version 3.1 game engine. I have used it several times in 3.1 in a limited way, but this time I'm going to really put it through its paces and see what it can do. After this experiment, I will be done with all of the offensive formations until I get some other crazy idea to try. I have thoughts of one day of having a team for every offensive formation, all in different worlds and all at D1A schools. That sounds like a pretty good goal for some semi-retirement fun to me, especially if everything but recruiting was working in automatic or near automatic fashion
The problem with this is Wis limits you to 10 or thereabouts Custom Playbooks.
I know I like to have at least 3 playbooks per formation used; Passing, Running and a Balanced.
Sometimes I will get more creative and have 4 or 5.
I don't see how you could deal with the limited playbooks if you had too many formations ?
3/18/2017 6:50 PM
Posted by mojolad on 3/18/2017 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pete_61 on 3/18/2017 4:58:00 PM (view original):
The problem with this is Wis limits you to 10 or thereabouts Custom Playbooks.
I know I like to have at least 3 playbooks per formation used; Passing, Running and a Balanced.
Sometimes I will get more creative and have 4 or 5.
I don't see how you could deal with the limited playbooks if you had too many formations ?
I have 10 playbooks for Trips alone under my pete_61 username, that is why I had to take another username to do my experiments, and I can only handle two formations at a time under pistol76.
3/19/2017 1:20 AM
Heh. I was running teams with Pro, I, and Shotgun and it got kinda dicey not having enough playbooks. Had to lose a good shotgun team because of this. Now Im trying to convert it down to 2 formations; I and ND. Every once in while I have to tweak a playbook by hand vs the better teams.
3/19/2017 3:22 AM
Just run the damn ball! (Internet meme)

Running a test now at Alabama State in Bryant. A passing qb and a running qb. Both WB only. Both are true Frosh. Have set up two seperate playbooks. One is 100% run, one is 100% pass. GI for the passing QB is very high. Other than FIQ being low, we will see how this works out.

Real men run the wishbone. Real men run the damn ball. Real men win championships (excepr for me).

Namaste.

3/20/2017 8:38 PM
◂ Prev 12
The Pre Game Speech Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.