5-Star Recruits Topic

Has been said before, and we need to keep hammering WIS.

D1 FIVE STAR RECRUITS want to play (normally Start too) as freshman and they do not want rebuilds.

The party line is "this is not supposed to be the real world" and I say that ANY College Basketball should have those two requirements as the "Gold Standard". Have been a manager at the Top High School level, and for a College Program, and a High School Coach (long ago gave that up) and what was true in the 70's and 80's is MORE TRUE TODAY. Five stars do not want to ride any benches, and they will only go to a rebuild when THEY are to be the centerpiece of the program ( and have that heart to be that guy).
Please review the Preferences of top recruits, and ALSO give us a new promise. Give us a promise to unlock that we "Promise" a guy he is the Centerpiece of our team. Not just minutes, or starts....but make broken "distribution" promises possible. You owe it to all the "elite" Coaches to help them recoup on EE's. I personally think this would help.
3/17/2017 9:24 AM
Brian Butch was a 5 star recruit at Wisconsin. He red-shirted.
3/17/2017 10:41 AM
"You owe it to all the "elite" Coaches to help them recoup on EE's."

There, I'm glad to see someone come right out and say it, no beating around the bush. Sense of entitlement rules!
3/17/2017 11:28 AM
How many 5 star recruits are one and dones? I bet we don't want that kind of realism.
3/17/2017 12:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/17/2017 12:10:00 PM (view original):
How many 5 star recruits are one and dones? I bet we don't want that kind of realism.
In 70+ seasons, I've only had 1 leave after his first season (and he was a JUCO 2yr at that). I've seen a few others lose 1 maybe but I doubt there's more than a handful from each world. Its definitely way less than IRL but the difference here is that most FR in RL can actually play competently in that first season. I would argue that if WIS upped recruit IQ based on division (i.e. Div 2 players were around C IQ across the board and Div 1 players B), then it would be more realistic for the EEs as at least they would be more usable in the first few seasons before they left.
3/17/2017 12:27 PM
I was referring to real life but I agree with the IQ thing. If a guy is a 5 star, and played the O or D in HS, he should definitely not start at C-(which is where I think recruits start if it's HD O/D). Maybe C+ so they can be in the B's by conference games.

I don't think anyone wants the top 5 recruits to be guaranteed one and done. But that's realism.
3/17/2017 12:54 PM
I can get on board with most of this. I'm all for more intelligent preference profiles. It is much more intelligent now than when 3.0 started, when some world (Naismith or Allen) had something 5 or 6 of the top 10 want rebuild. It should be like maybe 1 in 20-30 of ranked recruits. And pretty much all top recruits should want to play. I've also brought up a % of offense promise.
3/17/2017 1:44 PM
He is right about five stars and even four stars sure minutes and start players.
3/17/2017 1:53 PM
I think 100% of 5 stars should want success and playing time.
3/17/2017 2:35 PM
5-stars should pretty much all want playing time.

we also should have more one-and-dones. much more "realistic" for stud freshman to go EE than off-the-board juniors who are picked at the end of round 2.
3/17/2017 3:21 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/17/2017 11:28:00 AM (view original):
"You owe it to all the "elite" Coaches to help them recoup on EE's."

There, I'm glad to see someone come right out and say it, no beating around the bush. Sense of entitlement rules!
Just so you know, I have NEVER had a player drafted or been at an elite program. I have however been in Big Six Conferences and seen my Conference mates lose multiple EE's in 3.0. I hate it for "other" Coaches and I am not saying any of this out of a sense of entitlement for myself.
3/17/2017 5:33 PM
How nice, altruistic entitlement.
3/17/2017 6:31 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/17/2017 6:31:00 PM (view original):
How nice, altruistic entitlement.
. .... ..... ....
3/17/2017 6:34 PM
Posted by nacorwin on 3/17/2017 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Brian Butch was a 5 star recruit at Wisconsin. He red-shirted.
That's anecdotal, not the norm.

He should have gone to North Carolina. But mentally, the kid never was cut out for his 5 star status.
3/17/2017 7:31 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/17/2017 2:35:00 PM (view original):
I think 100% of 5 stars should want success and playing time.
Really couldn't it be said that all players want to play? You don't often hear about guys saying "I sure hope they offer me a scholarship but only if I can ride the pine for four years."

Perhaps a preference for playing time should just be a universal. Doesn't mean you have to offer minutes but your recruiting efforts will be enhanced if you do.
3/17/2017 7:56 PM
12 Next ▸
5-Star Recruits Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.