The Elite Recruiting Advantage is Real. Topic

Wish I would have read this before I went to Boise State. I get killed in recruiting by the Pac-10 teams they turn all my yellows to red I think I'm going to go to the PAC and pick on the weakling WAC teams also
3/21/2017 12:31 PM
`Just got out of one in Leahy. I'm Yale Coach Duckpluck is North Texas (Congrats on the recruit!)

Ill summarize without the data portion.

Knock off Temple for recruit.
Recruit turns green.
Wake up six cycles later seeing recruit is yellow.
Think its finally BC waking up to a good recruit in Mass.
Recruit is 120 mikes away in Lowell
Its Texas State. 1550+ miles away.
I spend 32,000 and lose. Frosh start, pct plays, etc.
This would mean Texas state would need to spend about 87,000 to match me, unless....

He offers a start, a pct plays (same cost), and spent considerably less overall.

If 1A squads pay the same for Frosh start and pct plays (as they SHOULD!) This means that the distance advantage is negated and the mid majors teams can raid anywhere LATE. I was always under the understanding that early recruiting is better and was more highly valued in the algo, Since it IS an ALGO, and not real life, I thought this was supposed to be "gospel"

Since they didn't spend $85000 (or as I estimate: 35% of their overall budget), they can steal late by utilizing this hole. WHICH THEY SHOULD. The OL was low 1A, very high 1AA.

MY Beef: If the Early / Late aspect plays no / little part, then why recruit early at all? Bust my budget on a player who can be swiped for $350? Lunacy.
3/21/2017 1:00 PM
Posted by swampdragonz on 3/21/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Wish I would have read this before I went to Boise State. I get killed in recruiting by the Pac-10 teams they turn all my yellows to red I think I'm going to go to the PAC and pick on the weakling WAC teams also
Before you enter the PAC-10 with false notions of how things will go, let me just warn you: If you spend your BCS recruiting budget knocking non-BCS schools off all of "their" recruits, your stay in the PAC-10 will be a short one, characterized by mediocrity and a subsequent firing.

You need to recruit a majority of BCS-level recruits when you coach at a, you know, BCS school. Non-BCS type recruits are great back-ups for battles, but will rarely offer you the clout you need to win the games you need to keep your job at a BCS school (where firings occur all-too-easily).
3/21/2017 1:03 PM
That was difficult to decipher..

*you are at yale (D1AA) and North Texas is D1A-Anything he offers is going to be worth more then you

*you were fighting temple for recruit- a BCS team? They probably spent considerably less.

*The difference between early and late recruiting is small- I don't have exact figures

*why would they spend 85k? A CC team at the D1A level, even if it's a midmajor, is not going to have to use the same amount of effort

*in a busy world at D1AA you should definitely not throw 32k at a recruit early. You didn't learn that in Wilkinson before you moved to army?
3/22/2017 1:21 AM
Posted by swampdragonz on 3/21/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Boise state is a tough place to recruit from. You have to know that top players will normally be targeted by BCS schools in the PAC and you may even get some involvement from colorado schools and Nebraska. My biggest tip would be to see where the teams around you are going and plan around that.. trying to fight them will be very difficult but you can still field a solid WAC team by finding the leftovers and maybe some gems that other people missed.

goodluck
3/22/2017 1:28 AM
Hey Genuvar --

Thank you very much for the reply. Sorry, it was confusing. I was typing from a handheld. Also, I am not complaining at all. Just wanted to get some thoughts.

Point 1: Agree 100%. My point was this: How much more? If the FROSH / PT is that significant toward the recruit choice, (I think it is, BTW), then my original point of spending ANY money early is insane. Especially in relation to the fact that you can NOT do the same to SIMs late. So the 1-A team can target 1-AA teams who are green and avoid the SIM recruits which will drain funds.
Point 2: Agree 100%.
Point 3: Agree that the difference is small in relation to human vs human. It is the human vs. sim, that I have the real problem with.
Point 4: Agree 100% again. The point being is this: In order to make the SAME moves, North Texas would have had to spend roughly $85k. HOWEVER, since they are a quality 1-A team run by a good coach, I agree that the amount of effort will drop (i.e. only "X" CV vs my "2X" CV, etc).
Point 5: I didn't. The bulk of that spend was AFTER North Texas came to the table. ($20k + of the $32k)

Summary: I have ZERO problem with what North Texas did. ZERO. My frustration is this: I spend some cash early to knock off the SIMS, I then get scooped by a 1-A team. That's fine. However, I (all of us), should then be able to do exactly the same things to the SIMS...and we can't. We would have to spend more money to knock off the SIMS than to knock off a human. That to me is insane.

Namaste.
3/22/2017 10:33 AM
Makes more sense what you were talking about now :)

You can knock sims off late but I think the difference is the "unlimited budget" the sims have. So while you stopped at 12k (because we like to save our money) a sim would continue to pump X effort into a recruit over every cycle. For simplicity, lets say you have to spend 2x whatever North Texas spent, that means he would only have to spend 6k to get the recruit yellow. While if you wanted to go after another sim you would probably have to spend 15-20k or more depending on other variables because that sim never stopped spending.

It is possible. I do it all the time. You just have to weigh all your options and go with the one that benefits you the best.

A. Fight with North Texas. Hes got obvious advantages. You have distance. How much money did he start with, what does he have left to sign, does he have backups options?
B. Go after SimAI @ Team X. What cycle are we on, what are my advatanges, what level is the sim located at, how much am I going to spend with all these factors considered?
C. Go after nearby human rival. Advantages vs disadvtanges, was the player undecided before recruiting start, starting money, scholarships left, battles, needs.

Each will have its own value to you and each will have its own price.
3/22/2017 3:20 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123
The Elite Recruiting Advantage is Real. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.