I have an amazing upside to my game. Topic

In response to a scouting report I got: "I have an amazing upside to my game." I forgot, does this mean he has normal "good" upside? Thanks in advance!
3/17/2017 10:48 AM
This is High potential...............i.e. it is the one between Average potential and Sky is the limit
3/17/2017 10:55 AM
Some research was done on this a few months ago on determining STL and good potential from player messages. it was determined, I think, that you can't determine from a player message whether he has good potential or STL potential.
3/17/2017 11:05 AM
You absolutely can determine player potential from scout messages. I've been doing it in this game since 2005.

Sky is the limit potential
High/Above Average potential
Average potential
Low potential
No potential (he's tapped out)

You can determine all of these from a single assistant coach scout visit (always go by the first line in the scouting report). Most of the potentials fall into the 3 middle categories above, and the SITL and No Potential players are the rarest.
3/17/2017 11:50 AM (edited)
Here is an above average/high potential guy:

Coach,

I just got back from my trip to see Dan Thomas. Overall, I'd say that he will end up in D-II. Here's a quick overview of what I saw:

He's got the potential to improve his game a lot over 4 years with us.
Dan Thomas is an above average worker. I have no doubt you'll like this kid's effort, Coach.
He catches any ball that is close to him.
He doesn't seem to understand how to read defenses very well.
A slight breeze might bring this guy down.
He gets down the field really well.

This might also read "amazing upside" from the recruit himself or "has a lot of room to grow" from asst. scout
3/17/2017 12:06 PM (edited)
Here is an average potential guy:

Coach,

I just got back from my trip to see Benjamin Richards. Overall, I'd say that he will end up in D-II. Here's a quick overview of what I saw:

I think his growth potential is pretty average - nothing special.
This kid has the attitude we're looking for, Coach.
He has a good feel for the game and takes charge out on the field.
His footwork is really good and he sets up well in the pocket.
I saw a lot of ducks out there, Coach. It could have just been an off night though.
I hope he's durable, because he doesn't evade the rush very well.
3/17/2017 11:49 AM
Here is a low potential guy:

Coach,

I just got back from my trip to see Thomas Eldridge. Overall, I'd say that he will end up in D-II. Here's a quick overview of what I saw:

He's made good strides towards reaching his potential over the past couple years.
I can't say much about his willingness to keep working hard, Coach. It's just not all there.
He runs sideline to sideline.
When he makes a hit on somebody, they go down.
Reads plays well as they develop.
3/17/2017 11:49 AM
Just my input here that good strides is much closer to average than to low potential.
3/17/2017 11:54 AM
Here is a guy with No potential:

Coach,

I just got back from my trip to see Ricardo Norman. Overall, I'd say that he is a solid D-IAA guy. Here's a quick overview of what I saw:

He's worked pretty hard these past couple of years, and he's about reached his potential.
Ricardo Norman is an above average worker. I have no doubt you'll like this kid's effort, Coach.
He broke an 80-yard TD run in the game. It was something special, Coach.
He's very hard to bring down and he fights for every yard out there.
He's a good hot receiver. He bailed his QB out several times.

You might also see the message as "He's tapped out"
3/17/2017 12:01 PM (edited)
Posted by aegsm76 on 3/17/2017 11:54:00 AM (view original):
Just my input here that good strides is much closer to average than to low potential.
I respect your opinion, but I'm sure that good strides is Low Potential.
3/17/2017 11:58 AM
Don't really know how you can be sure of anything with WIS, but more power to ya!
3/17/2017 12:01 PM
howard, I was just talking about the message you get from the player, not from the AC or HC. In an earlier thread, based on experiences from several owners, it was determined that you get the same message from the player whether he is a potential 3 or 4.
3/17/2017 12:15 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 3/17/2017 12:16:00 PM (view original):
howard, I was just talking about the message you get from the player, not from the AC or HC. In an earlier thread, based on experiences from several owners, it was determined that you get the same message from the player whether he is a potential 3 or 4.
Gotcha, thanks
3/17/2017 12:19 PM
Just went back and looked at my SO, JR, & SR's
Interesting results
Guess role rating improvements:
Sr's
Good strides - +6 WE 63
Avg - +5 WE 32; +5 WE 34
Low - +8 WE 48
Jr's
GS - +9 WE 62; +6 WE 42
Avg - +9 WE 40; +6 WE 62; +5 WE 38; +5 WE 38; +5 WE 54; +5 WE 48
Low - +6 WE 46
So's
GS - +3 WE 51
Avg - +3 WE 49; +3 46
Low - none

Now to do this correctly you would need a bigger data set and filter out other variables such as position, number of starts, etc...
But the above is interesting.
3/17/2017 12:20 PM
I wish I had my spreadsheet in front of me.. I think I give good potential a 20-30% difference in attribute increases over an average-low potential. There are a lot of variables that can influence these numbers.. how good a player is right now is one of them.

As your players get closer to 90 in any area the growth of that area slows to almost a stop.. on a good potential player that increase could be as low as a 1% over a season. So if you start with a 90 Str/90 Blk OL and just look at his GUESS role rating it quite possibly may not improve that much even if he is an STL.

I dont want to just discredit your data but if you are going to grade potential you need to look at more. This is why potential is considered to be more valuable at D2 because at that level the players have more room to grow.
3/17/2017 1:21 PM
12 Next ▸
I have an amazing upside to my game. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.