Beating a Dead Horse - Change to 2nd Cycle Recruit Topic

Through the Beta process it was largely voiced that the 2nd cycle had major recruiting issues, particularly for schools with EE's. I changed schools in Beta and knew how difficult it also was to accept a new job and start recruiting during this same period. There is so much luck and chance that in the Beta I couldn't even get to a point where I could spend one single dollar of my recruiting budget due to the time it took to accumulate enough attention points to open a player - minimum 2 cycles (i.e. 12 hours). Now I've made a similar move in the active world and experienced the same thing, only with more active SIM teams which makes it even more difficult.

I recently took over a Duke team with 8 open scholarships. I took the rifle approach and hyper targeted recruits to open them up sooner. With 140 attention points I targeted 2-3 recruits each cycle with 30-80 points each. Without fail 1-2 would sign during the next cycle and the other 1-2 would sign the following - all before I could open anyone up to offer a scholarship. It's been a consistent pattern since the start of the cycle.

Im now officially 0-9 on targets and have yet to even be able to offer a scholarship or attempt a visit. Of the players I've missed out on:

1 signed with Big 6 Human
4 signed with Big 6 SIMS
2 signed with mid major SIMS
1 signed with mid major Human
1 signed with D2 Human

Effectively I targeted players that I should have realistic expectations on, 2 or 3 of which are good enough to be starting 4 years from now.

Im now staring at a team with 8 walk on/D3 level players next year with 4 returning players that are also D2/D3 level.

I just don't understand how this issue has not been addressed yet, or better yet why the Programmers have been so tone deaf to this issue through Beta and nearly a year of active launch.

Not saying I should have landed all of the above but what am I paying a full season price for if I literally can't do anything to improve my team until year 2?
3/18/2017 12:56 PM (edited)
terrific combination of realism and good game play for a new coach at Duke to be unable to get any recruit to let him visit. Yup, system working perfectly.

I suppose that if Duke had deeply lowered its aim toward way lesser recruits you might have been able to sign some guys - who dont belong at a BCS school.

Yup, working great.
3/18/2017 11:47 AM
I dont plan to change schools - still have 3.0 on probation as I consider whether to keep my last team. Lest the sarcasm is missed, this seems to me like a problem.
3/18/2017 11:48 AM
I said the same thing when I moved to Alabama in Tarkanian. I used the same approach and I found people to tell me it was working as intented. Rebuilding a D1 team is tougher than ever. You got unlucky Shatz but why should decide how well you do when you switch team or when you lose ees.
3/18/2017 11:57 AM
Before the predictable 2 or 3 posters (with tons of posts and very little success or experience) flood this thread by claiming that you are "entitled" and that it is your fault, I just want to say that this problem is extremely well stated shatz. That needs to be fixed.

Not allowing immediate, first cycle signings during the 2nd phase of recruiting, and changing the schedule to accomodate new coaches that are screwed by the system seem like 2 very simple fixes.

3/18/2017 11:57 AM
Posted by shatz on 3/18/2017 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Through the Beta process it was largely voiced that the 2nd cycle had major recruiting issues, particularly for schools with EE's. I changed schools in Beta and knew how difficult it also was to accept a new job and start recruiting during this same period. There is so much luck and chance that in the Beta I couldn't even get to a point where I could spend one single dollar of my recruiting budget due to the time it took to accumulate enough attention points to open a player - minimum 2 cycles (i.e. 12 hours). Now I've mad a similar move in the active world and experienced the same thing, only with more active SIM teams which makes it even more difficult.

I recently took over a Duke team with 8 open scholarships. I took the rifle approach and hyper targeted recruits to open them up sooner. With 140 attention points I targeted 2-3 recruits each cycle with 30-80 points each. Without fail 1-2 would sign during the next cycle and the other 1-2 would sign the following - all before I could open anyone up to offer a scholarship. It's been a consistent pattern since the start of the cycle.

Im now officially 0-9 on targets and have yet to even be able to offer a scholarship or attempt a visit. Of the players I've missed out on:

4 signed with Big 6 SIMS
1 signed with D2 Human

Effectively I targeted players that I should have realistic expectations on, 2 or 3 of which are good enough to be starting 4 years from now.

Im now staring at a team with 8 walk on/D3 level players next year with 4 returning players that are also D2/D3 level.

I just don't understand how this issue has not been addressed yet, or better yet why the Programmers have been so tone deaf to this issue through Beta and nearly a year of active launch.

Not saying I should have landed all of the above but what am I paying a full season price for if I literally can't do anything to improve my team until year 2?
I am in the same boat at UNC as you shatz, I actually have been monitoring you to see if you had any better luck than I.

Im now targeting 3 projected D1 recruits, but they are definitely not UNC/Duke quality. The only reason I am going for them is because if I sign no one this season, i'll have (essentially) 10 open scholarships next season. I say essentially because I count the non walkon/auto signed guys by SIM AI as walkons anyway.

At least you and I will be at the bottom of the ACC together.
3/18/2017 12:44 PM
I had low expectations based on the Beta experience but I also thought that knowledge would help shape strategy here. Realistically I didn't want to sign 6-8 low mid level guys, I wanted to go into next season with 4-6 scholarships and to drop my carryover SIM players next year at this time.

So really my aim was 1-2 strong players and 1-2 lower rated, high ceiling guys. Part of my targets were guys that weren't even considering schools at the start of the cycle and guys that had SIMS battling. In the case of the D2 signee he wasn't considering anyone but signed on the first cycle. A great D2 team but that is beside the point.

the one piece of logic that is most egregious is that it seems like all players are pre-determined to sign at a specific point regardless of competition or action like in the prior versions of the game. So you are blind attempting attention points not knowing who will/won't sign despite you're effort. Any realism of a top tier team coming in late with attention delaying a player settling for a low tier team with minimal effort is completely non existent.

added perspective - I had 6 open scholarships at Fresno State (school I just moved from) and signed 3 players in cycle one. Targeted 3 others in the late window and knew exactly what effort I put into them in cycle one. One was aggressive, one mid and one low. The latter I thought I had a chance to steal away but no luck, he ended up going D2 to a school VH that beat Fresno State that was also VH. Not sure how a higher ranked player goes D2 over a big 6 sim at equal level that also doesn't give A school like Duke even a chance to fly him out for a visit.
3/18/2017 12:50 PM
Posted by indiansrck27 on 3/18/2017 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shatz on 3/18/2017 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Through the Beta process it was largely voiced that the 2nd cycle had major recruiting issues, particularly for schools with EE's. I changed schools in Beta and knew how difficult it also was to accept a new job and start recruiting during this same period. There is so much luck and chance that in the Beta I couldn't even get to a point where I could spend one single dollar of my recruiting budget due to the time it took to accumulate enough attention points to open a player - minimum 2 cycles (i.e. 12 hours). Now I've mad a similar move in the active world and experienced the same thing, only with more active SIM teams which makes it even more difficult.

4 signed with Big 6 SIMS
1 signed with D2 Human

I am in the same boat at UNC as you shatz, I actually have been monitoring you to see if you had any better luck than I.

Im now targeting 3 projected D1 recruits, but they are definitely not UNC/Duke quality. The only reason I am going for them is because if I sign no one this season, i'll have (essentially) 10 open scholarships next season. I say essentially because I count the non walkon/auto signed guys by SIM AI as walkons anyway.

At least you and I will be at the bottom of the ACC together.
Ha, I was doing the same with you. I thought about jumping on that soph transfer but saw you come in early with interest and I didn't think that would benefit either of us to compete over a guy Like that.

Ill basically tone out until recruiting starts next year, unfortunately there isn't anything I can do game plan wise to help the conference by nabbing a win or two in non-conference. Another 0-27 season is guaranteed.
3/18/2017 12:55 PM
“I changed schools in Beta and … Now I've made a similar move in the active world…
I’m now officially 0-9 on targets

Hmm, what could be the trouble … Here’s a significant clue:
“Not sure how a higher ranked player goes D2 over a big 6 sim at equal level that also doesn't give A school like Duke even a chance to fly him out for a visit.”
I believe guys who are trying to be Coach K or Coach Calipari are not playing the game as it is. Guys who are playing the game as it is are learning to play it well. Guys who continue to play the game as they think it should be seem to have much less success. When it comes to considering changes to the game, I expect that WIS watches the former, not the latter.

So, are you going to learn the game as it is?
“I’ll basically tone out until recruiting starts next year"

Edited to add that you (OP) are certainly not alone in continuing to mistake HD for RL. I see comments like this all the time: "Indiana is a pretty good job. Basketball school in basketball state. Will be interesting to see what sort of recruits the new coach gets." There is a good example of mistaking one for the other.
3/19/2017 12:30 PM (edited)
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/18/2017 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Beating a Dead Horse ... blame the game.
Do us all a favor Spud and go play in traffic. You even might make a few friends.
3/18/2017 3:14 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/18/2017 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Beating a Dead Horse ... blame the game.
There is a problem in the game. He tried but the game is not well designed.
3/18/2017 3:30 PM
Posted by bbunch on 3/18/2017 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Before the predictable 2 or 3 posters (with tons of posts and very little success or experience) flood this thread by claiming that you are "entitled" and that it is your fault, I just want to say that this problem is extremely well stated shatz. That needs to be fixed.

Not allowing immediate, first cycle signings during the 2nd phase of recruiting, and changing the schedule to accomodate new coaches that are screwed by the system seem like 2 very simple fixes.

Do I claim that people are entitled to there mistakes? You're talking about me, CoachSpud and MikeT23...
3/18/2017 3:48 PM
Actually, ward, I don't have a clue what you're talking about 99% of the time, and I certainly don't talk about you or even think about you.
3/19/2017 12:12 AM
Indiana is a pretty good job. Basketball school in basketball state. Will be interesting to see what sort of recruits the new coach gets. Right now, they have LOI from 72, 143, 239 nationally. 4, 3, 3 stars. Do you think he'll manage to bring in some 5 stars?

http://indiana.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

3/19/2017 4:20 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/19/2017 4:20:00 AM (view original):
Indiana is a pretty good job. Basketball school in basketball state. Will be interesting to see what sort of recruits the new coach gets. Right now, they have LOI from 72, 143, 239 nationally. 4, 3, 3 stars. Do you think he'll manage to bring in some 5 stars?

http://indiana.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

Meanwhile at ECU our winningest head coach and longest tenured head coach is making some progress and we are starting to beat tourney teams. http://www.ecupirates.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Kentrell Barkley is the best player on the team was top 100 position wise not sure top recruit of course not. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3923216/kentrell-barkley. Our best 3 point shooter and minutes per game Caleb White just graduated under Jeff Lebo this year http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66733/caleb-white.

But people are questioning Jeff Lebo job status now for the first time. http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/POLL-Is-it-time-for-ECU-to-make-a-change-with-mens-basketball-51758108?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=170314_191352_East%20Carolina%20Pirates&utm_content=Link . I have never been a fan of Jeff Lebo but a fan of ECU. He has sure proved me wrong about his tenured here and that was exactly what I wanted out of him.
3/19/2017 4:32 AM
123 Next ▸
Beating a Dead Horse - Change to 2nd Cycle Recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.